What's the longest it's taken for Prime95 to fail?

clownvomit said:
Yeah, I was a noob, and I still haven't gotten any errors. My cpu isn't stock, so your example is pointless. It's oc'ed from 3.06 to 3.6. I don't even need that. That IS pushing it. The engineers who made it designed it to run at 3.06, NOT 3.6.

And yes, I am proud of myself for doing that, is that wrong? There sure is a lot of people here that like to drag others down. The usual cause of this is they are not happy with themselves.

I made a simple statement, if you don't like what I've said, then ignore me. If you disagree with what I say, then argue in a sensible manner, don't try to rip me because you'll lose.

Oh, and one other thing, just how smart do you think it is to take a chance and push your cpu to "the max" and possible fry it? That doesn't sound hardcore to me, it sounds stupid :rolleyes:

Unfortunently, I think you already lost.

Any sensible person will be watching his temperatures anyways. I'm not sure what chip you are talking about, but a lot of chips were designed to be faster and just didn't make the "cut", that's why they have a lot of headroom to be overclocked.

tys90 said:
Unfortunently, I think you already lost.

Any sensible person will be watching his temperatures anyways. I'm not sure what chip you are talking about, but a lot of chips were designed to be faster and just didn't make the "cut", that's why they have a lot of headroom to be overclocked.

I see you didn't read, so no comments from you please. My chip is a 3.06.

Oh, and that is why OEM pc's come with all sorts of overclocking ability, right?

The bottom line is overclocking a cpu is stressing it in itself, period. They were engineered to run at what you buy them at. When you oc them, you cut the life down.

For god sakes, it says that in the sticky for oc'ing if you don't beleive me.

clownvomit said:
I see you didn't read, so no comments from you please. My chip is a 3.06.

Oh, and that is why OEM pc's come with all sorts of overclocking ability, right?

The bottom line is overclocking a cpu is stressing it in itself, period. They were engineered to run at what you buy them at. When you oc them, you cut the life down.

For god sakes, it says that in the sticky for oc'ing if you don't beleive me.

Of course I read that, your chip could be a northwood, or a prescott, which does matter. And if you're going to tell me to read the sticky, you should read it yourself. Let me help you.

It's very hard to fry your system by just pushing it to it's limits.
Most processors are designed to last for up to 10 years, so losing a few of those years is usually worth the increase in performance in the mind of an overclocker.

People upgrade every 3-4 years, maybe 5 if they don't use their computers for anything else but e-mail and internet. You can't tell me those people are going to be overclocking. Anyways, the real overclockers probably upgrade more often than 3-4 years.

To get back on topic, I've always ran it for 24 hours and usually never get errors after the first hour or so.

clownvomit said:
Yeah, I was a noob, and I still haven't gotten any errors. My cpu isn't stock, so your example is pointless. It's oc'ed from 3.06 to 3.6. I don't even need that. That IS pushing it. The engineers who made it designed it to run at 3.06, NOT 3.6.

And yes, I am proud of myself for doing that, is that wrong? There sure is a lot of people here that like to drag others down. The usual cause of this is they are not happy with themselves.

I made a simple statement, if you don't like what I've said, then ignore me. If you disagree with what I say, then argue in a sensible manner, don't try to rip me because you'll lose.

Oh, and one other thing, just how smart do you think it is to take a chance and push your cpu to "the max" and possible fry it? That doesn't sound hardcore to me, it sounds stupid :rolleyes:

why overlock if u don't need it huh? just to say ur CPU is not stock? u wasting ur time and electric bill if ur just priming for the hell of it.

and i dont fault JohnleMVP for coming at u, cuz u were the one acting all tough jus cuz u never had prime fail. thats not true overclocking, if u read the sticky, it tells one to keep bumping up the oc UNTIL prime fails, then back down.

ok u DONT have to have prime fail, but dont come bragging and putting us down like we dont know jack jus cuz we have prime FAIL

remember, HE didnt start the ripping, YOU did

I never once put anyone down in my original post and NEVER intended that post for that reason.

If some of you took it that way then maybe some of you are subconsciously looking for an altercation of some kind.

There is something wrong with the ones that took offense to my post psychologically and that is very evident. Any normal person would have said congratulations and would have left it at that.

Whoever has a problem with me I suggest you continue it via PM, as this thread is off topic. I aloud some of you to drag me into useless arguing but I'm no longer going to partake in the high jacking of this thread.

clownvomit said:
[sic] I aloud some of you to drag me into useless arguing but I'm no longer going to partake in the high jacking of this thread.

Is...it safe to post again? Yes? Okay. :D

I have had Prime95 run for about 24 hours, but sometimes I get errors within the first hour; it's an on/off thing. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but whether or not I do after the first hour, I'm fine. I'm pretty sure that I can run it for longer, but I figure that 24 hours is enough to go on :)

i went 10 hours with my current config, was still going but i wanted to play some bf2 :D

Well, I bumped up to 3.8 and ran 95 for 6 hours with no errors so maybe I'll go higher.

fluxion said:
i went 10 hours with my current config, was still going but i wanted to play some bf2 :D

Its good to see that you have your prioritys right. :)

Started Prime95 Friday before work. Went out for the weekend. Came back Sunday to find a failure at 50-someodd hours. I had a screenshot somewhere, but can't seem to find it. Added a divider to my RAM and jumped another 200Mhz. 26-hour prime stable, it's fine for me.

2.6Ghz on stock cooling. I love my Winny.

Back