What's the longest it's taken for Prime95 to fail?

alpha575

n00b
I'm trying to figure out how long to run Prime95 to ensure stability. I want to take a poll as to the longest time you've run prime95 and still received an error. Anyone receive an error after 12 hours? 24?

Also, which torture test setting do you prefer to stress test?

i use the torture test setting that produces maximum heat.

i run for 24 hrs to ensure it's stable.

Some like 24, some like 12, some like 8. Me, I'm an 8 hour person, I let it rip overnight or while I'm at work, if it's still going, that's good enough for me.

if i get an error it is usually like before 10 minutes is past....i ran mine for like 3 hours and thats it

hmmm...this might make a good poll. I usually push to fail within a few minutes, then I back it off a bit. That'll fail within an hour of so. After that, it's usually good for 12+.

Jodiuh said:
hmmm...this might make a good poll. I usually push to fail within a few minutes, then I back it off a bit. That'll fail within an hour of so. After that, it's usually good for 12+.
you got quite a peculiar setup there with two sound cards... what you like better the audidy or m-audio

ryuji said:
you got quite a peculiar setup there with two sound cards... what you like better the audidy or m-audio
I'd guess Revo for music, Audigy for gaming.

alpha575 said:
I'm trying to figure out how long to run Prime95 to ensure stability. I want to take a poll as to the longest time you've run prime95 and still received an error. Anyone receive an error after 12 hours? 24?

Also, which torture test setting do you prefer to stress test?

Prime 95 like most DC projects is designed to run 24/7 for as long as your machine is on. The fact that we tend to use it as a torture test is secondary to its primary use which is to find prime numbers.

In other words, if you’re really truly stable, it’s not supposed to fail ;)

The longest I've ever done is a little over 48 hours. It didn't fail during that time, I just decided that was long enough and shut it down.

What are the symptoms when it fails. Does it tell you or do you have to do some air sniffing?

Codegen said:
What are the symptoms when it fails. Does it tell you or do you have to do some air sniffing?
lol good one, it just stops running and cpu cools off because it does nothing

it'll say "Execution Halted. Hardware failure detected. Ran for X minutes with X errors" something to that extent...

So it looks like even though a lot of people recommend running for 24 to 48 hours to ensure absolute stability, no one has actually had it fail after an hour or two stable. Interesting.

I actually ran Prime overnight, thinking my system was stable, only to run memtest afterword and find out there were all sorts of errors. In case you're intestested I just got a refurbised MSI K8N Neo for 45 bucks on newegg.com and a sempron 2600+ for 63 on zipzoomfly.com. Had it running stable in prime overnight at 2.4/200mem. After the errors I'm now testing it in prime with 2.38/198mem.

Needless to say I'm pretty happy with my $110 upgrade.

PCJ said:
I'd guess Revo for music, Audigy for gaming.

Yup, yup. Tho with foobar's resampling algy and the new a2value, the dif between the two becomes a lot less than I would have ever thought. At least as far as music is concerned. For games, it's not contest. A2 for the win.

ryuji said:
the real question is how much patience you have when ocing :p

LMAO! Soooo true!!

alpha575 said:
So it looks like even though a lot of people recommend running for 24 to 48 hours to ensure absolute stability, no one has actually had it fail after an hour or two stable. Interesting..

Oh, I've started prime at work via remote, then came home to find a crash after 5 hours a couple times.

As for crashing signs, high vcore usually hooks me up with some white text on a nice blue background ;)

alpha575 said:
So it looks like even though a lot of people recommend running for 24 to 48 hours to ensure absolute stability, no one has actually had it fail after an hour or two stable. Interesting.

I actually ran Prime overnight, thinking my system was stable, only to run memtest afterword and find out there were all sorts of errors. In case you're intestested I just got a refurbised MSI K8N Neo for 45 bucks on newegg.com and a sempron 2600+ for 63 on zipzoomfly.com. Had it running stable in prime overnight at 2.4/200mem. After the errors I'm now testing it in prime with 2.38/198mem.

Needless to say I'm pretty happy with my $110 upgrade.
I've had it fail at 7, and at 18 before.

damn...looks like I spoke too soon. Guess 18 is the record as of now. Can anyone beat that?

alpha575 said:
damn...looks like I spoke too soon. Guess 18 is the record as of now. Can anyone beat that?

theres a WHOLE thread over at DFI street dedicated to 24 prime archievments.

Don't start celebrating yet ;)

I've had it fail after 2 hours and 8 mins. Another has failed afther 2 hours and 40 mins. I currently have one stable for about 10hours.

The error I usually get is a rounding error.

I had it crash at 23 hrs 21minutes a few days ago. I raised the voltage another .025v and called it good.

I run the small FFT's in place...

My new method of testing includes playing Doom3 with prime95 running in the background... Prime95 won't fail, but doom 3 will hang like mad on anything less than a stable processor...

I burn with 95 all the time and I never have a failure. I was a noob when I built my pc too. You just have to have your sh*t in order when you build and oc your rig.

Research, read, plan, and build. Then you monkey with the oc and if you pay attention to detail you should have a stable machine :D

clownvomit said:
I burn with 95 all the time and I never have a failure. I was a noob when I built my pc too. You just have to have your sh*t in order when you build and oc your rig.

Research, read, plan, and build. Then you monkey with the oc and if you pay attention to detail you should have a stable machine :D

How do you know that your cpu is at its maximum stable overclock if you've never had a failure? ;)

JohnleMVP said:
How do you know that your cpu is at its maximum stable overclock if you've never had a failure? ;)
nice point, maybe he was satisfied with the speed he wanted to get

The longest before I failed Prime was around 8 hours, I thought I was stable too :(

I have had failures at 2 hrs, 8 hrs and 14 hrs, So i run it for 24-36 hours now.

If I can pass 12hrs of prime, play any game I throw at it for a couple hrs, plus fold 24/7 and have no lockups, I'm happy. I usually only reboot once every 7-10 days as I notice some apps/games have memory leaks and my
mem usuage creeps to around 500mb.

LOL! Sorry but I have to laugh. If you haven't ever got prime to fail you truely haven't been trying [H]ard enough! I would actually be more embarrassed by saying that I have never got prime95 to fail then having had it fail. How else are you going to know the absolute limit? To answer the question, running dual prime on my 4400+ @ 2.70 failed after 13 hours on one of the cores. @ 2.64 solid as a rock 24+ hours.

clownvomit said:

:eek: you can't really call yourself an ocer unless you hit the MAX stable clocks And you can't do that without failing stress testing IMO :eek: And for me, it has failed at 9 hours

Asian Dub Foundation said:
theres a WHOLE thread over at DFI street dedicated to 24 prime archievments.

Don't start celebrating yet ;)

l'inq?

speaking of leaving your computer on overnight and discovering errors...

i booted into memtest and left it on overnight on test five. what i didn't realize is that when i took the fan i had on my memory out, i put it in backwards... woke up to around 5000 errors and scalding hot memory ;s

freaked me out.

1 hour prime, then i just game.
if it ever crashes while i game, i reset and increas .25 voltage.

I don't game, or do anything else that requires max oc'ing. I surf the net and convert files. I don't need to "push the limits" lol.....what, do you people thing you're top gun or something?

"...I've got an F-14 top gun rig that is oc'ed to the max and I can check my email real fast..." LOL

give me a break...

I have had Prime fail after 16 hours at one point (consistently with the oc). If i lower my OC by 1 mhz fsb it was stable for at least 24 hrs. I have also had it fail after 8 hrs. So I am a firm believer in running it for 24 hrs stable for my 24/7 oc.

Cooter

snoops said:
LOL! Sorry but I have to laugh. If you haven't ever got prime to fail you truely haven't been trying [H]ard enough! I would actually be more embarrassed by saying that I have never got prime95 to fail then having had it fail. How else are you going to know the absolute limit? To answer the question, running dual prime on my 4400+ @ 2.70 failed after 13 hours on one of the cores. @ 2.64 solid as a rock 24+ hours.

Sorry, I have to laugh. Do you feel the need to show off your digital penis to make up for.....other....shortcomings?

Big deal, so I don't oc to the max, does it make you feel like a big man to rip on that?

Give me 5 min and 24 hr's to prime it then I'll have a max...big deal

clownvomit said:
Sorry, I have to laugh. Do you feel the need to show off your digital penis to make up for.....other....shortcomings?

Big deal, so I don't oc to the max, does it make you feel like a big man to rip on that?

Give me 5 min and 24 hr's to prime it then I'll have a max...big deal

Thats funny coming from a guy who tried to act like a big man himself. Mr. I was a noob and never got any errors. I got my sh*t in order and pay attention before I monkey around so my computer is stable. Of coarse if you don't push your cpu you won't get any errors and have a stable machine. Shoot my cpu at default settings runs 100% stable 24/7. WOW. Theres no point to running the stress test if your not pushing it. The only reason people were going after you was because you acted like you were something special.

clownvomit said:

Research, read, plan, and build. Then you monkey with the oc and if you pay attention to detail you should have a stable machine

My point exactly. You came off sounding like you were better than everyone else because you never had prime fail. I was just makeing a point that getting prime to fail is a sign that you are truly testing the limits of your system not a shortcoming in your ability at overclocking. And I don't remember showing off the digital penis.

JohnleMVP said:
Thats funny coming from a guy who tried to act like a big man himself. Mr. I was a noob and never got any errors. I got my sh*t in order and pay attention before I monkey around so my computer is stable. Of coarse if you don't push your cpu you won't get any errors and have a stable machine. Shoot my cpu at default settings runs 100% stable 24/7. WOW. Theres no point to running the stress test if your not pushing it. The only reason people were going after you was because you acted like you were something special.

Yeah, I was a noob, and I still haven't gotten any errors. My cpu isn't stock, so your example is pointless. It's oc'ed from 3.06 to 3.6. I don't even need that. That IS pushing it. The engineers who made it designed it to run at 3.06, NOT 3.6.

And yes, I am proud of myself for doing that, is that wrong? There sure is a lot of people here that like to drag others down. The usual cause of this is they are not happy with themselves.

I made a simple statement, if you don't like what I've said, then ignore me. If you disagree with what I say, then argue in a sensible manner, don't try to rip me because you'll lose.

Oh, and one other thing, just how smart do you think it is to take a chance and push your cpu to "the max" and possible fry it? That doesn't sound hardcore to me, it sounds stupid :rolleyes:

Back