Whats the difference between TV's and monitors?

rpbbmw

n00b
I hope you guys can help me out. I have seen a lot of people use TV's as their monitors for their pc's. I currently have a 3 year old 25 inch HP lcd monitor and would love something newer and larger. Ideally 120 hz and maybe 32 inch.. What is the difference between using a Samsung HD tv as a monitor and buying a true "monitor" off newegg ? I have been looking at a new HP 27 inch IPS monitor (60 hz sucks) but can I get a larger Samsung TV to use as a monitor ?

HDTV's '120hz' is achieved by frame interpolation; it's not true 120hz in that it will not accept a 120hz signal. if that is an important criteria for you, stick to monitors.

I hope you guys can help me out. I have seen a lot of people use TV's as their monitors for their pc's. I currently have a 3 year old 25 inch HP lcd monitor and would love something newer and larger. Ideally 120 hz and maybe 32 inch.. What is the difference between using a Samsung HD tv as a monitor and buying a true "monitor" off newegg ? I have been looking at a new HP 27 inch IPS monitor (60 hz sucks) but can I get a larger Samsung TV to use as a monitor ?

If you get the right TV input lag won't matter much. I have been using TV's as monitors for many years now and still stick with them. I recommend the LG ln5300 series for a TV monitor as it seems to be the best choice with the least amount of input lag.

I recently used a Samsung UN22F5000, it worked very as a monitor. It's just an LED display panel with a built-in TV tuner. It only used 17 watts, speakers not bad either.

Back