• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Whats the difference between TV's and monitors?

rpbbmw

n00b
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
15
I hope you guys can help me out. I have seen a lot of people use TV's as their monitors for their pc's. I currently have a 3 year old 25 inch HP lcd monitor and would love something newer and larger. Ideally 120 hz and maybe 32 inch.. What is the difference between using a Samsung HD tv as a monitor and buying a true "monitor" off newegg ? I have been looking at a new HP 27 inch IPS monitor (60 hz sucks) but can I get a larger Samsung TV to use as a monitor ?
 
HDTV's '120hz' is achieved by frame interpolation; it's not true 120hz in that it will not accept a 120hz signal. if that is an important criteria for you, stick to monitors.
 
I hope you guys can help me out. I have seen a lot of people use TV's as their monitors for their pc's. I currently have a 3 year old 25 inch HP lcd monitor and would love something newer and larger. Ideally 120 hz and maybe 32 inch.. What is the difference between using a Samsung HD tv as a monitor and buying a true "monitor" off newegg ? I have been looking at a new HP 27 inch IPS monitor (60 hz sucks) but can I get a larger Samsung TV to use as a monitor ?

If you get the right TV input lag won't matter much. I have been using TV's as monitors for many years now and still stick with them. I recommend the LG ln5300 series for a TV monitor as it seems to be the best choice with the least amount of input lag.
 
I recently used a Samsung UN22F5000, it worked very as a monitor. It's just an LED display panel with a built-in TV tuner. It only used 17 watts, speakers not bad either.
 
Back
Top