Whats the difference between a x800xt and a x800xt pe?

If the difference is just a 20 MHz faster core and 120 Mhz faster memory and everything eles is the same between the XT and XT PE, then isn't it just smarter to save money and buy a XT and then just overclock it? :p

if i'm correct, isn't the plain XT only PCI-Express?

EDIT: nvm, its AGP...so yeah, that makes more sense

well, i checked 'egg, and they had the XT (not PE) and it said AGP :confused:

but should we all believe newegg? :eek:

It's entirely likely that the cores have been speed binned. So, theoretically the cores used in X800 XT cards typcially won't overclock as high as the cores in X800 XT PE cards, because (if speed-binning is indeed being done) they failed whatever quality testing is required to make it onto a PE card, and run PE speeds, at the PE stock Vcore, at whatever temeprature the quality checking requires.

And indeed, XT cards have been found to not overclock as high on the core as XT PE cards.

The XT cards also mostly have 2 ns RAM - not the 1.6 ns stuff that is the cause of the whole XT PE shortage in the first place

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
Can't you flash the BIOS of a x800 XT to a >> XT PE?

theoretically, yes, but if it were me, i'd rather manually overclock it than flash it...cuz i don't think you get any enhancements by flashing, so it would be more work for nothing to flash.

well....think about this...which is less time, 2 nanoseconds or 1.6 nanoseconds ;)

well, when accessing the ram billions of billions of time, then yes...it becomes milliseconds/seconds...so you begin to see a slight performance boost...but you need looser timings to get the faster speeds...so its a sacrifice

2Fresh said:
The XT cards also mostly have 2 ns RAM - not the 1.6 ns stuff that is the cause of the whole XT PE shortage in the first place

the blue sapphires(and probably the red ones too), gigabytes, and visionteks have 1.6ns RAM.

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
What is the advantage of the 1.6 ns RAM?

the theoretical maximum clock speed of 2.0ns RAM is 1000MHz, and the maximum for 1.6ns RAM is 1200MHz.some 2.0ns chips will overclock better than 1.6ns chips. i experienced this with my BFG 6800GT with 2.0ns RAM which did 1170MHz while my 6800 Ultra with 1.6ns RAM could only do 1160MHz

shaihulud said:
do not forget it (none pe) has 4 less pixel pipelines.

the X800XT and X800XT-PE both have 16 pipelines. the model you are thinking of is the X800 Pro.

I also believe that there's a difference in performance between a pe and a o/c xt (non pe) ... they don't perform the same even if they are clocked to the same speeds ... and my pe goes to 1200mhz easy since that's it's max (1.6ns) and it's a red sapphire so to those out there who think the red sapphires are not pe or think that they don't have the 1.6ns samsung chips .. ur very wrong ..

:p

but, you have looser timings than the 2ns chips, so of course you can overclock higher...i'm sure if you loosened the timings (i think you can in ati tool BUT DON'T TRY IT...IT FUXX0R5 UR CARD :D) i got artifacts like mad when i did....so, it seems that higher clock speeds are better than tighter timings (duh :p)

So is the concensus that most XT's can't overclock to PE speeds? I've been reading alot of reviews saying that they aren't able to quite overclock to PE speeds without artifacts.

fuzzbutt99 said:
So is the concensus that most XT's can't overclock to PE speeds? I've been reading alot of reviews saying that they aren't able to quite overclock to PE speeds without artifacts.

They can o/c to PE speeds but they can't o/c as well as PE

The difference is, the XTPE was for marketing purposes, and the XT was the actual card ATi brought to market 6 months later...

6800GTOwned said:
Dell sells PCI-E x800 XTs.

Where? I wanna buy one through dell since I have a preferred account... but all I see are 9800 pro's and 6800Ultra's.

felix88, yes, you are correct i made a mistake. so what i mistakingly identified is that the x800pro is the non xt/pe (lesser pipelines). the x800xt is the next increment and then the x800xtpe (minor clock difference between the x800xt) is the highest increment in the line (both having the maximum pipes). ah, my shit is together.

[owned]
It doesn't matter, my 9800se->9800pro will own a pe any day and I paid like 130 for it.
[/owned]

:D
~Adam

shaihulud said:
do not forget it (none pe) has 4 less pixel pipelines.

This is the reason why I am leaving this board, it is full of retarded monkeys.

harsh. lol

But don't forget the X800 Pro's that have Vivo, a lot of those have the 1.6ns ram. But I've read that a lot of people are getting XT to XT-PE speeds out of them.

XT PE comfortably... and some.

Even though I'm only running it at pro speeds most of the time.

-dB

What brand card did you buy? I'm thinking about the Elsa. But finding a retailer that actually has these cards in stock is becoming next to impossible.

my mistake is far less severe than the one you made. it is good to learn from mistakes and i am glad mine was a minor one. you, on the other hand, have a lot to learn. also, i suggest reading rules of the forums again before posting such material.

This is the reason why I am leaving this board, it is full of retarded monkeys.

Back