What's the cheapest 512MB gaming card?

pr0pensity said:
Is the 7900GT 512MB?
The 7900GT is 256mb. The 7900GTX is 512mb. The cheapest 512mb card, I guess, would be the X1800XT at around $289 new. You can get a used one for less. Check the FS/FT forum.

nvidia 6600 512mb

not sure if there is a gt model or no, but i think it is asus who makes it, so i would presume the 6600 with the 512mb of ram is the cheapest 512mb "gaming" card.

I spose gaming card is the wrong thing to say about this card, but it is a 6600 which is capable of playing any and all games but just not maxed out.

I spose it would be good for vista since it has 512mb frame buffer.

pr0pensity said:
I'm upgrading from a 7800GT. Is the X1800XT faster?
It depends. What do you need / want 512mb for? 512mb still isnt utilized much in games. It's still much more about clock speed / architecture rather then memory size.

AuxNuke said:
It depends. What do you need / want 512mb for? 512mb still isnt utilized much in games. It's still much more about clock speed / architecture rather then memory size.

Every current game uses 256MB, GRAW and CellFactor are using 512MB. Half a gig would be good to have for future games.

leSLIe said:
the cheapest would be the Saphire ATI Radeon X1300 PCIe 512Mb of crappy ram. at only
$90.49 (http://www.3gplaza.com/estore/control/Computer3G/productdetails?id=47204&srccode=PW) ENJOY!

Well, those are targeted at 2D graphic artists, not gamers. :(

The X1800XT at <300 with 512 is def. faster than your 7800GT. Go a little higher and the X1900XT is much faster than a 7800GT for like 400 something

hehehe, well U could run Q3A at around 90 FPS! in one of those. hehe

pr0pensity said:
Well, those are targeted at 2D graphic artists, not gamers. :(

I don't think its targeted at 2D graphics artists. It's targeted at idiots. Trust me, theres people out there who will see 512MB on the box and think its better than any 256MB card out there.

pxc said:
I wonder if the memory on that card is very overclockable. It's DDR2.

Why would you even want to bother.. its a 4 pipe card. Having 512mb of memory doesn't do any good if the CARD itself is its own bottleneck.

lloose said:
Why would you even want to bother.. its a 4 pipe card. Having 512mb of memory doesn't do any good if the CARD itself is its own bottleneck.
You're missing the point. Someone out there WILL buy the card out of ignorance, but may be able to make lemonade out of that unwise gaming card purchase. ;) And this is [H]. Why not overclock something, anything?

Ghetto mounting a fan on the heatsink should allow a higher core overclock (450MHz to 600MHz that the X1300 Pro uses) and if the 500MHz GDDR2 (250MHz DDR) on the card overclocks decently, no one will complain about the extra performance. I'm not saying that shooting for X1300 Pro performance is anything great, but it's a "good thing" if overclocking makes the difference between unplayable and playable in games. The TechReport low end card review posted today shows a X1300 Pro can play many games decently at 1024x768. 512MB is a waste on such a low end card but the kind of person who would buy it probably doesn't understand why.

I got the sapphire X1600PRo with 512megs

that would probably be the cheapest too. I've seen these more than not though don't be fooled by it gigantic memory--it's just marketing at its finest.

This card is comperable to the vanilla 6800OC IMO..or a little faster.

Pkirk618 said:
that would probably be the cheapest too. I've seen these more than not though don't be fooled by it gigantic memory--it's just marketing at its finest.

This card is comperable to the vanilla 6800OC IMO..or a little faster.

Slower actually. An XT might compete, but that's way slower. Slower than a 9800 pro.

Viper87227 said:
I don't think its targeted at 2D graphics artists. It's targeted at idiots.
Lol that's awesome!

Hey you know it must be a winner when it's passively cooled!

Back