What's the biggest AMD GPU that can be passively cooling?

Mastaba

Limp Gawd
I plan to build a quiet general purpose desktop/gaming config, using :

E5-1620 + Thermalright True Spirit 120M
X9SRH-7TF
32GB DDR3 ECC registered
Xonar ST + H6
HVR4400 tv tuner
SSD intel 520
Seasonic P-660

All in a Rosewill RSV-L4000 case with Gentle Typhoons AP-12 800RPM (or AP-13 1150RPM).

While i want it to be very quiet and low idle power i'd like to have a powerful enough GPU.
I chose AMD for their low watt at idle cards, especially for their zero core power feature.

I can lend 3*slots for the graphic card, the PC will be cooled by the case's 3*120mm fanwall filled with three GT AP-12 or AP-13.

I thought using a big gpu heatsink like the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus GPU Cooler, the Thermalright Shaman, or the Prolimatech MK-13 or MK-26.

The weight is less a concern as the card will sit vertically in this rackmount case, but these large heatsinks eat a lot of space, and i won't be able to install the fans in only 3 slots, so basically it will be "fanless" and have to rely on the 3*120mm fanwall for cooling.

What kind of GPU do you think i can fit in these conditions ? Or have you another better solution?

7750/7770/7790?/7850/7870/7950/7970 ?

The Accelero coolers are by far the best GPU coolers for the money.

Also, The Accelero Extreme Plus only makes the card take up 3 slots with the fans installed.

They claim that it can handle 250w.

You will want to remove the pre-applied compound that comes on it.. same for any cooler, and use something good like IC Diamond.

Thanks! Seems even a 7970 can fit with this setup.
Do you think the length is ok ? card+heatsink seems pretty long.

Didn't know that IC Diamond, seems nice.

If you don't overclock, then passively cooled HD7850, even HD7870 is possible.

Back