Whats the big deal with retina display on iPad?

You're calling me a liar, without any detailed contradiction of what I stated. You fail to elaborate on your definition of clipping vs mine.

You did not win this argument, you just ended it because you've shown yourself incapable of productive discussion.

I did elaborate. Clipping in an image, is maxed out pixels (255 in an 8 bit system). You are trying to create your own definition to cover your BS.

You also claimed, there was added haloing showing up in the second half of the W, when again none is present. This isn't anything to do with my poor vision (20:15) or your super vision.

Here that half a W at 800%. Minor differences sure, but more obvious haloing on the scaled image, no, not even massively zoomed in. Certainly not at natural size.

It is difficult to have productive discussion when one party is being dishonest.

wcrop.png

Last edited:
Unless some range compression was applied, in which case the upper limit would be a different number. It's not as simple as you say given the number of links in the production chain.

What I've learned about digital imagery has taught me that at 8 bits per channel or more, 2 or more adjacent pixels of the same color in an image of anything "real" is an error of some sort, and if it occurs over a (relatively) large number of pixels which are near the digital luminance limit, then the error in question is most likely clipping. You can apply range compression to an image with pixels clipped at 255 and they will no longer be at 255, but by my definition at least, that is still clipping.

FYI, one of my jobs is analysis of medical images, various scans using several different imaging technologies, so picking images apart comes very naturally to me. I have this job because my eyes and general sense of vision are very acute, so I'm not trying to represent myself as the norm, but keep in mind that I likely will see things much differently than you. How much and what kind of different is hard to verbalize, impossible really. Such are the wonders of life.

Another job that I do is building terrain maps for resource exploration, based off commercially available elevation data of varying levels of detail. This is where my knowledge on data interpolation mainly comes from, but like you I have done alot of image and video scaling and compression myself. Mostly because I like to watch some video and maybe due to my other characteristics I am always in search of the best possible quality. The fact that my TV is 60hz and I watch 24fps video on it makes numbers puke through my head more often than I'd like to admit, and no, I haven't come up with a better way to do it yet.

Back