Whats on Your xmas List.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan_D said:
Well that's not to say that there is anything wrong with the FX-62 or any other Athlon 64, or X2. If you have a high end dual core X2 or FX, I don't recommend going with a Core 2 Duo, unless you just want to. In games the real world difference won't be that big. Plus the cost to switch is also another factor.

But if you are buying a new motherboard and CPU today, I can't recommend an Athlon X2 over a Core 2 Duo at this point. If you are buying below the $150 mark, then yeah, you can't get a new Core 2 Duo CPU for that, and Pentium D's are your only choice. So obviously the Athlon X2 has value in that market segment. Over the $150 mark, the Core 2 Duo gives you more bang for your buck at every price point, alot more in fact.

Yea, I was agreeing with you, and saying thats from the standpoint of an fx-62 owner. :)

I understand what your saying, for sure. In fact, I could sell my FX-62 for enough money that I could buy an E6300 and mobo if I wanted to.. But my fx-62 is a placeholder until. Quad Father comes out.. And if that isnt good enough, I'm gonna end up going with a kentsfield.

Hardcore Student said:
yeah, allright but i'm still not convinced. i checked at the local stores and the BUS is 1066 MHz, and CPU speed is 2600 MHz, but the price is about $300! I'm not exactly an expert at these BUS speeds, but shouldn't more be better?
the price for Intel Core 2 Duo e6700 is FAR BEYOND my funds. (which is, by the way limited to $1000.)
And i don't like overcloking too much 'cause im not experienced enough and i don't want to screw something up.

3 things:
1) bus speed doesn't matter nearly as much as you make it sound. at least not from what ive seen from core 2 duo vs. athlon x2.
2) there is absolutely no reason to buy an e6700 if you cant afford it. get an e6300 and oc it for equal or possibly more speed.
3) intel core 2 duos overclock like theyre shipped underclocked. just get a mobo that ocs well (lots of people like the asus p5w. the evga 680i is your best bet if you have the cash) and turn up the fsb in the bios and there you go. if you stick to a conservative overclock (400-500mhz) you don't even need a third party hsf. the stock fan works just fine for light overclocks like that on these chips.

I'm getting a mouse. And a mousepad.
New system will be late spring or summer... prices on new DX10 cards and quad cores should make for a pretty kickass system at a decent price :D

for now, my laptop will work...

I'm getting a freezer 64 pro for my x2 3800+, HR-05 for my loud as hell northbridge fan, and some yate loons.

Also, some new Nike Ignite irons :)

Gautama said:
I'm getting a freezer 64 pro for my x2 3800+, HR-05 for my loud as hell northbridge fan, and some yate loons.

Also, some new Nike Ignite irons :)
its big...so i hope you have some room in your box
CPU_cooler.jpg

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS - 320 gig perpendicular redcording hard drive
eVGA GeForce 8800GTX
ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB - DDR2 800 Timing: 4-4-4-12
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz :D
ZALMAN CNPS9500

eh ill probably get enough $$ in january to build something like this

Xbox 360 games [Gears of War, NCAA Football 07, burnout, etc]
Acer al1916wabd [i know i wont get this, but it never hurts to ask because it could generate certifs to the egg!]
Xbox 360 hd vga cable
ipod nano [black]
UT07 pre-order
Inside Man, Mission Impossible 3, Munich, and a ton of other great movies
Red Hot Chili Peppers and/or Blue Man Group tickets

I'm hoping for....

7600GT
Couple of Green led Case fans
Logitech G5 mouse
1 gig usb memory stick
Coupla movies :D

tell ya the truth... I would probably be fine with just fifty bucks and a carton of cigarettes.

My first Xmas in the last 4 years where I haven't gotten (or bought) any hardware. So far its good progress on escaping the obsession....

BF2142
Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Zalman VF900
Fan Controller
300GB HDD
fUnc Archetype

Non Tech
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

1gig more of memory, same sticks i have now (G.skill crap)
New headset, the cheap ones i have now are uncomfortable.

I already bought:

1 longer IDE cable, bought an 18incher and found out that isn't very long lol
2 longer SATAII cables, same as before, 18 inches is smalllll
cable sleeving, needed to clean up some wires.

IGA, in game or not, still sucks. Well at least in Toronto.

Umm..

-New Rig, see my sig.

-Ratpadz.

-Vista for free (I can).

Crapinapale said:
Gifts from Family(hopefully):

1. Apevia Qpack Case (black with the side and top windows)
2. OCZ 700w PSU
3. Rounded Cables
4. Some case fans
5. Neverwinter Nights 2
6. Warhammer: Mark of Chaos

Gifts for myself:
1. New system to use the parts of 1-4 and play 5 and 6
2. Microsoft Zune or I may research into making myself an MP3 player (dunno yet)
3. Sony PSP (have DS, looking into the fun homebrew on this)
4. New Dremel (really nice corded one)

Ok, so numbers 1-4 on my Family have changed to an Olympus E-500 DSLR (comes in the mail tomorrow for use on xmas day) and 1 On gifts to myself has been postponed :)

Good god don't buy that stupid Microsoft Zune, get an iPod!

I didn't ask for anything for Xmas... a few CDs and clothes. My parents help me with my school costs, so that is more than enough.

I have no idea what I'm getting for christmas... my dad has carried up a couple large bags and I couldn't tell what store they were from, and I didn't peek inside at all. :p I hope its good stuff because I hate pretending to be happy with gifts, it makes me feel like the person giving knows that I don't really like it, but dad never has gotten me anything I didn't like. To tell you the truth though, don't really care what gifts they are, just that my family has gone through the trouble of getting them for me lol

Either a 4 or 8 gig USB drive! That, and a second internal HD. Hoping I got at least another 250 gig. :)

We open presents Christmas Eve but I got everything that I wanted. See sig. And to those of you who have sigs disabled:

Intel C2E QX6700 3.8GHz
3GB Corsair XM2 PC2-800
EVGA 680i SLI mobo
2xWD Raptor 36.7GB (OS) (Raid 0+1)
2xWD Raptor 150GB (Games) (Raid 0)
ATi Radeon X1950XTX 750/2200
Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Platinum
Enermax Gamer Edition PSU 1KW
Apple 30" HD LCD Display

CptFalcon said:
We open presents Christmas Eve but I got everything that I wanted. See sig. And to those of you who have sigs disabled:

Intel C2E QX6700 3.8GHz
3GB Corsair XM2 PC2-800
EVGA 680i SLI mobo
2xWD Raptor 36.7GB (OS) (Raid 0+1)
2xWD Raptor 150GB (Games) (Raid 0)
ATi Radeon X1950XTX 750/2200
Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Platinum
Enermax Gamer Edition PSU 1KW
Apple 30" HD LCD Display

Why on earth aren't you using a G80 based card with that machine?

Dan_D said:
Why on earth aren't you using a G80 based card with that machine?

Since the drivers are giving the G80 shitty performance I decided to what until the 8900's come out, hopefully the drivers will be fixed. (The problem with the drivers is that they dont let the GPU's enter 3D mode)

CptFalcon said:
Since the drivers are giving the G80 shitty performance I decided to what until the 8900's come out, hopefully the drivers will be fixed. (The problem with the drivers is that they dont let the GPU's enter 3D mode)

There are people experiencing performance issues, but those are typically for drivers 97.28 and lower. 97.44 seems to have corrected that problem, and in my case, it wasn't even my drivers or video cards at all. The problem was with my eVGA 680i board. After replacing it for the second time, everything was perfect. I get AWESOME performance out of my cards in single and SLI modes. The only issue left is sound crackling with SLI enabled. Obviously, that shouldn't be an issue with a single 8800GTX.

I just can't fathom building a Core 2 Extreme (Quad-core) system and using anything but the best video card on the market. The X1950XTX simply can't compare with it. I used to have two of them in Crossfire, so it's not like I hate ATI or anything. Plus, I had a huge laundry list of driver problems when I had my X1950XTX's anyway.

A single 8800GTX is faster than BOTH of my X1950XTX's. For this reason, I think of the X1950XTX as a waste of money.

Dan_D said:
There are people experiencing performance issues, but those are typically for drivers 97.28 and lower. 97.44 seems to have corrected that problem, and in my case, it wasn't even my drivers or video cards at all. The problem was with my eVGA 680i board. After replacing it for the second time, everything was perfect. I get AWESOME performance out of my cards in single and SLI modes. The only issue left is sound crackling with SLI enabled. Obviously, that shouldn't be an issue with a single 8800GTX.

I just can't fathom building a Core 2 Extreme (Quad-core) system and using anything but the best video card on the market. The X1950XTX simply can't compare with it. I used to have two of them in Crossfire, so it's not like I hate ATI or anything. Plus, I had a huge laundry list of driver problems when I had my X1950XTX's anyway.

A single 8800GTX is faster than BOTH of my X1950XTX's. For this reason, I think of the X1950XTX as a waste of money.

I'll see if any of my friends have a 8800GTX on hand. Right now the stores are closed and I dont feel like going anywhere. However though the X1950XTX works like a charm! :D

CptFalcon said:
I'll see if any of my friends have a 8800GTX on hand. Right now the stores are closed and I dont feel like going anywhere. However though the X1950XTX works like a charm! :D

Except for the bullshit DVI issue, my X1950XTX's worked really well too. The 8800GTX just works better. :)

First of all, I built a computer for Vista in mid Oct. I am ready for Vista to come out. Well our family was together this evening and one of the Nieces recieved a new laptop. As the night wore on I was able to see that it have XP media edition on it. I asked if they were going to upgrade to Vista and the said it was a memory hog and they weren't going to upgrade. I asked them if I could then. I took down the make, model, product key AND they gave me the reciept. Best holiday gift. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back