• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What's my upgrade path?

Darth Bobo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
1,057
Hi all,

Basically I have the system in my signature (just upgraded to the GTX460) and I've been wondering, what is my best bet for an upgrade path?

I have been considering a new CPU so that I would at least go from 2 cores to 4, if I go that way I'll probably get a cheap quad like the Q8400 which should be a drop in replacement for the Asus Commando motherboard and 2GB more RAM for a total of 4GB.

Ofcause this would require an OS upgrade also to 64bit Windows 7 in order for me to utilize the memory in full.

Would this be a valid and worthwhile upgrade or should I save up for an i5 based system on a P55 based motherboard.

The difference in cost is around $500 i recon.
 
I'd buy an i7 based system second hand piece by piece from the FS/FT here. That or i5, though i7 should actually be cheaper used since the boards are more often than not older and more common around here now. Selling your current gear and I'd say it shouldn't even cost you $500.
 
I'd buy an i7 based system second hand piece by piece from the FS/FT here. That or i5, though i7 should actually be cheaper used since the boards are more often than not older and more common around here now. Selling your current gear and I'd say it shouldn't even cost you $500.

QFT. That Asus Commando motherboard, based on the Intel P965 chipset, officially supports only up to an FSB of 1066 MHz (266MHz quad-pumped). Asus claims FSB1333 CPU support through beta BIOSes - but whether an FSB1333 CPU would work with the Commando or not is pure luck. This eliminates all of the 45nm quad-cores which require official FSB1333 CPU support to work properly.
 
Would this be a valid and worthwhile upgrade or should I save up for an i5 based system on a P55 based motherboard.

Save up your money for the Core i5/P55 route or the used Core i7/X58 route as others have noted.
 
Hi all,

Basically I have the system in my signature (just upgraded to the GTX460) and I've been wondering, what is my best bet for an upgrade path?

I have been considering a new CPU so that I would at least go from 2 cores to 4, if I go that way I'll probably get a cheap quad like the Q8400 which should be a drop in replacement for the Asus Commando motherboard and 2GB more RAM for a total of 4GB.

Ofcause this would require an OS upgrade also to 64bit Windows 7 in order for me to utilize the memory in full.

Would this be a valid and worthwhile upgrade or should I save up for an i5 based system on a P55 based motherboard.

The difference in cost is around $500 i recon.

I wouldn't bother with a Core 2 Quad upgrade even if your mobo will support the 45nm quad cpu. I would just stick with what you have now and get a Core i5/i7 build later. Or, sell your current hardware to get the Core i5/i7 setup. As you can see here, the performance boost of the a Core i5 750 or Core i7 920 clocked at 2.66ghz is pretty significant over the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400. The Q9400 is clocked at 2.66ghz speed which is the same as the Q8400. The Q9400 cpu has 6MB of L2 cache vs 4MB of cache on the Q8400. Plus, other features the Q9400 has over the Q8400.
 
I wouldn't bother with a Core 2 Quad upgrade even if your mobo will support the 45nm quad cpu. I would just stick with what you have now and get a Core i5/i7 build later. Or, sell your current hardware to get the Core i5/i7 setup. As you can see here, the performance boost of the a Core i5 750 or Core i7 920 clocked at 2.66ghz is pretty significant over the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400. The Q9400 is clocked at 2.66ghz speed which is the same as the Q8400. The Q9400 cpu has 6MB of L2 cache vs 4MB of cache on the Q8400. Plus, other features the Q9400 has over the Q8400.

QFT. Unless you live near a MicroCenter, those quads will cost way more than their performance boost justifies.
 
Back
Top