Whats going bad on my computer ? help

john510

n00b
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
6
I have a dell desktop 8400 recently I replaced the battery inside and the power supply because it didn't want to power up. Its running ok but noticed every so often when I click on something the RESPONSE time is slow like almost 1-4 seconds, it was never like that, sometimes its ok but recently I noticed the slowness.

I have no virus'es and hard drive is defraged, no spyware, so what do you think it could be?

motherboard, hard drive, memory ???

I do have a spare hard drive thinking about cloning and putting in..
 
please post system specs and operating system. but it sounds like low RAM.
 
Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHZ
3 GIG of RAM

oh and windows XP
 
Last edited:
Is it doing this when gaming;stop and go.As a matter of fact is it doing this all of the time?Reformat/install is a little radical at this point.

btw is there any way to know what brand of drive you have?SeaTools may help.
 
It could be a multiple of factors, can you describe the slowness in a little more depth?
Is it occuring when you are opening a program?
Is there lagging when scrolling down a webpage?
When moving a window, does the lagg occur then?
If you can notice when this is happening, we can help resolve your problem :)
 
I reinstalled NET frame and it seems to be faster now..Hmmm

Seems to only happen when I was opening anew program or new webpage from the start once I was on the web page no problem

It has been a long time since i did a format on it , maybe it time..
 
As you have defragmented, this would cut things down to possibly being RAM or general sluggishness through clutter.
Have you tried a pc cleanup, using programs such as CCleaner? doing some disk checks also could help a bit, ironing out all the little bumps in the system, uninstalling some old programs, keeping drivers and software up to date also.

If the speed doesn't increase from a cleanup, formats are probably your best bet; sometimes cleanups cant reach all the dusty corners, unless you really know what you're doing.
 
Yeah I did all the cleanups and defrags,,, think Im getting to much junk on my drive,,, damn means a whole weekend of putting things back,, oh well
think while im at it I pop in that new larger harddrive


thanks
 
I'm not sure how experienced you are with computers, but i'll ramble on anyway:

Whenever I start a new rig, i'll always make sure to partition my computer with at least -
A C: partition for windows (the windows partition)
A D: partition for data (files etc)
A third partition for programs.

When it comes to formatting, partition C would be formatted, renewing windows and the most important programs.

Optionally, the program partition would be formatted too, if the system was still sluggish.

Couple this strategy with making ghost copies (or even just sysprepping) and you can have your OS back fast :)
 
Im very familiar with computers and have made septate partitions but after time they got mixed thru, I made plenty of image copies but those wont do me any good since I will most likely migrate to windows 7
 
Back
Top