Whats everyone using for mining?

ledcriss

Limp Gawd
I have never mined before but I currently have a GTX 1080. I have heard of nice hash... Is this the best miner to use? Also is bitcoin the right thing to mine right now? If not how do i go about mining another currency.. I have a server cabinet that i could put some more hardware into for a dedicated system. Just need help with some direction to go...

Nicehash is fun to play with,and easy to get started. With a single 1080, you aren't going to make much, whatever you do. Depending on electricity costs, anywhere from $1 to $1.50 / day. But it's a good "learn by doing" opportunity.

Nicehash, as you may know, provides a market maker service between people who want to sell hashing power (like you) and people who want to buy hashing power. When your card mines via Nicehash, you'll be selling your hash power to the then-current high bidder, and the card might mine one of several different coins. With Nicehash, you are always paid in BTC, regardless of what coins are mined.

If you do decide to mine, I'd recommend throttling down the power on your card to 70% or so (in Precision X, or whatever), as running cards on less than full power maximizes hashrate per watt efficiency (and thus, profit).

Nicehash is fun to play with,and easy to get started. With a single 1080, you aren't going to make much, whatever you do. Depending on electricity costs, anywhere from $1 to $1.50 / day. But it's a good "learn by doing" opportunity.

Nicehash, as you may know, provides a market maker service between people who want to sell hashing power (like you) and people who want to buy hashing power. When your card mines via Nicehash, you'll be selling your hash power to the then-current high bidder, and the card might mine one of several different coins. With Nicehash, you are always paid in BTC, regardless of what coins are mined.

If you do decide to mine, I'd recommend throttling down the power on your card to 70% or so (in Precision X, or whatever), as running cards on less than full power maximizes hashrate per watt efficiency (and thus, profit).
Spot on. Play with Nicehash and if it is something you are wanting to go deeper into after you have gotten your feet wet, then you can look into mining for a specific coin using options other than Nicehash. Like Waderunner stated, adjust your power consumption on your video card(you can use msi afterburner to adjust your clock/power settings) to make sure that your card is using the minimum amount of power while maximizing its profit.

1070s + old R9 270s on Nicehash using the legacy miner.

Doing pretty well. Profitable too.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using sites like whattomine but understand that it is snapshot in time and doesn't reflect ever-increasing diff.

Last edited:
I use mostly AMD 470s with claymore miner. The cards were the cheapest at the time and can mine at a nice speed with modified bios and overclocking. All of which I did not understand anything about when I started. Thanks to forums and other users I modified and flashed the bios myself and had a lot of success so far.

Right now I'm using a 1080 and an old 970. Once I get back from Vegas in a couple of weeks, I think I'm going to pick up a couple used 1070's. Also going to start buying on Nicehash as well. I figure with the next payout I'll be able to start buying Eth contracts.

Almost 24/7, one rig
  • 2x 1070s
  • 1 Nano
Off and on, 3 separate systems
  • 1080Ti
  • Vega 64 LC
  • Rx 290
Still using NiceHash - for me it is about as simple as it gets which you can pretty much forget about. I will probably start mining specific coins opening up various wallets and let those coins ride over time.

2X 1080ti, 1X 1070, 1X 1050, 1X 460 2gb. Spread over two systems.

Oddly enough, the 1050 and 460 generate the most profit per card vs expense. About 50 cents a day each.

I've got three different rigs mining various different coins.

Rig1: 4x GTX 1080ti (this one has not hit ROI, and has been a major pita getting it to run stable)

Rig2: 3x RX 470s, 2x RX 480s (This has ROId many times over)

Rig3: 1 GTX 1080, 1 GTX 1070, 1 RX 480 (This has also hit ROI)

The worst choice I made was the 1080tis. Every other card has hit ROI at least once.

Yikes, that must be a lot of heat to manage.

Rig1: 4x GTX 1080ti (this one has not hit ROI, and has been a major pita getting it to run stable)

The worst choice I made was the 1080tis. Every other card has hit ROI at least once.

Yikes, that must be a lot of heat to manage.

It is (and I've got other machines that don't mine but also add to the heat)
It makes me cry when I see my AC bill in the summer lol. Now that it is getting cold though they heat my home. :)

https://www.coinwarz.com/difficulty-charts/ethereum-difficulty-chart
Ethereum for example is becoming difficult so fast that its almost not worth it to mine it from scratch. Granted, the coins can go up in value drastically and make it more worth it. But the coin has sat around $300 for several months now.

Right. When I started mining ETH, I thought I could make back the cost of my GTX1070 in about 2 1/2 months, as I made like $170 dlls the first month (it was that good back then) but as value dropped and difficulty skyrocketed, I endend up getting my first full ETH coin after 4 months and barely got back what I paid for the GTX1070.

2x 1080ti
6x 1060 3gb
1x 1070
1x 970
2x 390x

contemplating building an 8 GPU 1060 rig for fun - since it's cooling off here in TX, it's "free" heat basically. Even with 7 cents per kwh delivered, I still used 3,000 kWh during the summer mining and keeping the house cool. I do most of the mining on NiceHash as it's simple/easy and has good reporting online.

Started slow and just kept cards make their return on investment then roll any future profits into more hardware. Not the type to go out and plunk 5K on the credit card and "hope" things work out, I only buy crypto hardware with crypto generated dollars.

Welp, I moved my HTPC upstairs and added a few cards to it....

Beast (My work box):
1x 1080ti
1x 1080

HTPC (mining full time):
2x 1060
2x 1070

Mining Ethereum and Decred right now. May switch to ZCash after the Ether difficulty starts going back up.

Simple Miner OS has been working great for me. It lets me manage all the rigs remotely and swap what I'm mining quickly.

Simple Miner OS has been working great for me. It lets me manage all the rigs remotely and swap what I'm mining quickly.
Can you tell me a little bit more about Simple Miner?
I've in the middle of getting the cards needed for my next rig and have been debating on using that or EthOS vs what I am currently running now windows 10 with Claymore.
Thanks in advance.

I'm running nvOC mining ZEC using the new ZM miner on the following rigs:

Rig1: 8x 1080Ti set at 190W
Rig2: 8x 1080Ti set at 190W
Rig3: 6x 1050Ti set at 75W
Rig4: 5x 1070 set at 120W
Rig5: 4x 1080Ti water cooled set at 210W
Rig6: 1x 1080Ti water cooled set at 220W

Those water cooled cards are serious hashing machines:

seahawk_95PL.PNG

All are pointed to MPH doing about 0.33 ZEC a day. I tried suprnova and luckpool as well, but MPH is giving me better returns. I pre-ordered a 1070Ti. Will be interesting to see how it does.

seahawk_95PL.PNG

All are pointed to MPH doing about 0.33 ZEC a day. I tried suprnova and luckpool as well, but MPH is giving me better returns. I pre-ordered a 1070Ti. Will be interesting to see how it does.
That is freaking wicked!

seahawk_95PL.PNG

Your rigs aren't in the 4s for sol/w's? You should easily be able to achieve that on those GTX cards, unless of course, your power rate is low enough where it doesn't matter.

What kind of ROI time did you experience?

What kind of ROI time did you experience?

Well the 1080ti Rig has not ROI'd. I spent just over $3000 on it and it has generated just under $1200. I think I've had it for about 4 months though.

The other rigs didn't take very long actually. A couple months.., The big boom a few months back did play a role in that though.

Well the 1080ti Rig has not ROI'd. I spent just over $3000 on it and it has generated just under $1200. I think I've had it for about 4 months though.

The other rigs didn't take very long actually. A couple months.., The big boom a few months back did play a role in that though.
Thanks.

Your rigs aren't in the 4s for sol/w's? You should easily be able to achieve that on those GTX cards, unless of course, your power rate is low enough where it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I'm running them pretty hot (190W on the TI's) and only OC core to about +140 to keep things nice and stable. My power rate is very low as I have large solar arrays that make up for most of my consumption.

With a GTX1080 u should certainly make more than 1.5 USD/day
I have 1 RX470 and this makes 1 USD/day.

With a GTX1080 u should certainly make more than 1.5 USD/day
I have 1 RX470 and this makes 1 USD/day.

Right now, I gross about $2.50/day with my 1080 running NiceHash Miner (tends to bounce between equihash and lyra2rev2 mostly). With an energy cost of about $.59/day (~180W total system draw @ $.136/kWh), that leaves me a net profit of around $1.91/day.

I just started nice hash today.
Looking at $1.25 per day with my 1060 3gb. $. 09 kwh.

Pretty fun! I'd like to try a watercooled 1070ti on my next build. I don't and never will have a dedicated mining rig.

Is it true that the 7700k gets similar returns as a lower end gpu? That's what I saw on NiceHash estimator thing..

Hello, Would one be able to plug in AMD say RX470 and then Nvidia GTX1060 and then mine with that ?
I would imagine , yes.
I think if it was different generations like a GTS450 and an AMD R9 280 that would probably not work, or would it?
I dont know.
I think i tried 9800GT and GTS450 and that did not work, only one card was found.

I guess the newer technology with say any GTX 10 or RX 4/5/ card, it would most likely work together.

You can mix cards but you'll need different mining software. A R9 280 would work, however, power costs might be too high to justify running it. RX470 and up as well as the 1050tis and up are going to be the best cards to work with.

Reactions: imre
like this
You can mix cards but you'll need different mining software. A R9 280 would work, however, power costs might be too high to justify running it. RX470 and up as well as the 1050tis and up are going to be the best cards to work with.
I was looking at my current 2 RX470s and since i cant get them anymore other than ASUS mining edition which i am not sure about.... i can get the GTX1060 3GB on sales, so not sure which i should really go for,.
Some guys say the 3GB to 6GB is not much of a muchness, and if i am not scared about ETHereum dag file i have still got until late next year to mine anyways.

I was looking at my current 2 RX470s and since i cant get them anymore other than ASUS mining edition which i am not sure about.... i can get the GTX1060 3GB on sales, so not sure which i should really go for,.
Some guys say the 3GB to 6GB is not much of a muchness, and if i am not scared about ETHereum dag file i have still got until late next year to mine anyways.

Not much in the way of hash differences on the 3GB and 6GB models, but having said that, you'll get better resale value from the 6GB and future proof in the process. Chances are if you are going with nvidia, you are most likely going to find yourself in the equihash camp, not ethash.

I basically press button on nicehash and make about $110ish CDN / month (1080+970). I funded about 1/2 of a new CPU/Mobo/RAM purchase on newegg (via coincards.ca). I've been doing some direct XMR(Monero) as well but the $$ returns aren't as much. Power here is about $0.10 k/Wh

Mix and match brands on the same machine - MUCH lower stability. Not a good idea if you can avoid it, though it DOES work under Windows (it used to be possible under LINUX but recent NVidia and AMD drivers don't play well with ANYTHING else any more).

Mix generations is much less of an issue - a couple of my rigs are running HD 7750 A10-7860K (or -7890K) and RX470 withouth problems - that's *3* generations in one machine.

On the AMD side, as long as you stick with all GCN generations the drivers seem to have comparable stability to if you only have one gen in a machine.

There isn't any mining software that will run NVidia AND AMD cards at the same time (Nicehash doesn't count there, the overall program is a "shell" that controls multiple mining programs) - you end up running a seperate miner or seperate instances of the same miner with different configurations for the AMD and for the NVidia cards.

Many miners don't SUPPORT very old cards - on the AMD side, there are only a few miners that support Terrascale GPUs at all (HD 7600 and below) while it's a bit more varied on the NVIdia side but many current miners don't support past CUDA Compute 5.0 and very few if any go back as far as CUDA Compute 2.0

The older cards soak a lot more power for the same performance anyway, and generally aren't profitable to mine with unless you have FREE power - and are marginal even THEN.

ASIC miners - vary.

SHA256:
Antminer S9 (and the R4 varient) - highest efficiency but very POOR reliability.
Avalon 741 - lower efficiency but a lot higher reliability.
Anything 28nm based - forget it unless you have FREE power, you'll never make back what you pay for them if you don't already own them (specifically including the S7 and Avalon 6).
The others have a lot fewer units in the field and it's hard to try to judge them.

Scrypt:
A4 = good reliability, efficiency so-so
L3/L3+ - very good efficiency, reliability poor
L21 - not enough in the field to date to judge them for reliability but the efficiency is very good.
A4+ = should be TOP on efficiency, reliability unknown due to newness but Innosilicon has a VERY good track record for reliable miners and fixing issues when they DO have them.

X11:
I wouldn't bother, Bitmain flooded the market SO badly profitability is going to be pretty zero in another month unless you have SUPER SUPER cheap power.

Baikal on the "small" algorithms - might be worthwhile if you can manage to wade through their order process. Up side, their miners HAVE proven to be reliable, but I think the Giant is overpriced for it's performance and payoff is going to take FOREVER if they sell more than a few of them.

Obelisk - unproven vaporware at this point, and I don't see how they're every going to break even on SIA and DCR miner manufacturing even if they ARE legit.

Vega 64 and Vega 56 generate the most currently from around 3.50-5.50/day per card with Monero/NiceHash cryptonight

Got(all have SSD but celeron)

1. V64, 1070 "Gaming rig FX 8250 since i5 died and don't want to swap back to it

2. 2x1070, 2x570 Ryzen 1500

3. 4x570 in Celeron build(never again, save money but it's so painful sitting there waiting for everything to boot and can't mine for crap, another intel failure)

4. HTPC 1060 & 580 Ryzen 1600x (1KH/s XMR and Ryzen is about 350H/s)

5. 2x1070, 2x1080, 1060 1050ti Pentium G4550

6. 5x570/580s Ryzen 1200

7. 4x 570s Ryzen 1200

8. 1070 Laptop

9. 3x 570 x3 Phenom

and a v56 on way and still waiting on my 1080 that was RMA'ed to newegg 2 months ago because it didn't like me underclocking it and decided to die.

Trying to get 6 cards working and worrying about power consumption per circuit is a bit of a headache is part of the reason for less cards per rig, and 1000W PSUs are about $100 cheaper which makes it easier to justify a bunch of mobile rigs I can throw in garage and not overload outlets if I need to use one.

Vega 64 and Vega 56 generate the most currently from around 3.50-5.50/day per card with Monero/NiceHash cryptonight

Got(all have SSD but celeron)

1. V64, 1070 "Gaming rig FX 8250 since i5 died and don't want to swap back to it

2. 2x1070, 2x570 Ryzen 1500

3. 4x570 in Celeron build(never again, save money but it's so painful sitting there waiting for everything to boot and can't mine for crap, another intel failure)

4. HTPC 1060 & 580 Ryzen 1600x (1KH/s XMR and Ryzen is about 350H/s)

5. 2x1070, 2x1080, 1060 1050ti Pentium G4550

6. 5x570/580s Ryzen 1200

7. 4x 570s Ryzen 1200

8. 1070 Laptop

9. 3x 570 x3 Phenom

and a v56 on way and still waiting on my 1080 that was RMA'ed to newegg 2 months ago because it didn't like me underclocking it and decided to die.

Trying to get 6 cards working and worrying about power consumption per circuit is a bit of a headache is part of the reason for less cards per rig, and 1000W PSUs are about $100 cheaper which makes it easier to justify a bunch of mobile rigs I can throw in garage and not overload outlets if I need to use one.
The Vega 56/64 power consumption is decent as well? What software are you using? Need a thread about more in depth power, hardware and software. Seems to be scattered around.
I have thought about getting into mining just for fun. I have a few systems that I can use and just need GPU's and power supplies.

You pretty much have to run WIndows 10 to be able to get good Monero hashrate out of a Vega though - the blockchain drivers are REQUIRED by the actual miners and the blockchain drivers in my several attempts to use them on Windows 7 flat out DO NOT WORK.

Without those drivers, you're lucky to get much past 1000 hash/s on a Vega.

Almost all of my current rigs run from either Seasonic X-850 or EVGA G2 850s.

Back