What's a good air cooling fan for an i7 processor?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys I have been looking at some fans for the i7 processor and I am wondering what you guys though of the thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT and the Noctua NH-U12F, I am not sure if the noctua will fit in the new i7 fan bracket.

which fan do you recommend? and are any of the listed above run quiet?

noctua has a 1366 heatsink.. and this questions been answered in atleast 20-30 threads.. just do some look through pages 1-5.. your answers will be there..

computex08-coolermaster-v10.jpg

2008061019045191629489721.jpg

LMAO. Is this thing for real? It looks so god damn tacky (like a giant car wing).

the second pic makes it look like the top of one of those old air poppers for popcorn...maybe I'm just too tired to be posting though.

Hey guys I have been looking at some fans for the i7 processor and I am wondering what you guys though of the thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT and the Noctua NH-U12F, I am not sure if the noctua will fit in the new i7 fan bracket.

which fan do you recommend? and are any of the listed above run quiet?

They are not fans, rather they are heat sinks, until not long ago the TRUE didn't even come with a fan. The TRUE seems to be a pretty popular choice for the i7's. And is still king as far as air coolers go. Maybe it will be knocked out by the CM V10, but that has yet to be seen.

LMAO. Is this thing for real? It looks so god damn tacky (like a giant car wing).

Indeed it is real, there is like a 4 page thread about it here. The "biggest" thing about it is that it has a TEC.

Vigor Monsoon IIII is pretty solid, it is pretty much the same as the noctua.

I was wondering what you guys think of this list of coolers I can get for my system from Cyberpower. Which one would be the best. I am getting the Gamer Xtreme XT, I7 920 and have options but not sure which is best. I have researched them out but wanted some advice from Hard Forum members.

1.Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink
2.Thermaltake V1 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan
3.Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX Gaming CPU Cooling Fan
4.CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan
5.Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual CPU Cooling Fan
6.Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System

I am leaning toward the V8..

Thanks, Munch

I'm leaning towards the noctua. I hear its quiet an build quality is exellent. Only thing I am not totally sold on is the color of the fan and I hear installation is a pain. True copper one would have been nice but its über expensive.

I'd recommend an S-FLEX fan as a reasonable compromise between cooling power and noise.

But it looks like you're really talking about heatsinks and just like calling them "fans" for some bizarre reason. It's like refering to a car as a "tire" and just sounds weird but I suppose it works as everyone seems to know what you're saying. Anyway....the TRUE is more effective than the Noctua for cooling.

Aye the V8 is the best out of all you have listed. I was going for the v8 but it's pretty hard to find and i got a better deal with the TRUE

I am really considering going with the Noctuna since it comes with 2 fans and they are ultra quiet. Would the Noctuna heatsink and 2 fan configuration interfere clearance wise with an Asus P6T Deluxe or and Asus Rampage extreme 2 with 3 ram sticks of corsair dominator?
I narrowed down to those two motherboards, I am also looking at either regular domiator 1600 speed don't know if it's worth the price difference but if I go with the dominators would I have clearance problems with the heatsink/fans.
would this fit over the memory modules?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2552605&CatId=496 and would it be big enough to cover 3 ram sticks spread across 6 slots ? this fan was designed for the old 4 socket memory configuration.

My friend is talking me out of the noctuna. He likes the thermaltake V1 and the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme? what do you guys recommend for a heatsink? doing a brand new i7 build rather mount the brackets instead of doing it all then having to unmount the mobo.

Vigor Monsoon IIII is pretty solid, it is pretty much the same as the noctua.

I have it, use to have water... but anyway today i rebuild my PC, swaped evrything on LiLi V1000Z evrything air this time.

Monsoon lll keeps q6600 3.0GHz under IntelBurnTest @ 59-63C.

The TRUE is still king when talking about air cooling, and become just amazing if you take the time to lap them.

Thermalright Ultra 120 gets my vote.
Just installed mine today. :)
5ewbau.jpg

christ I wish Core i7 didnt require a 2nd mortgage, nice rig.

Anyways, the TRUE 120 copper was the coolest thing I've seen, but then last time I checked was ages ago. Heres the Xbitlabs article I had in mind. Most of the coolers run through Xbitlabs test have trouble keeping below 90C at those voltages.

Doesn't lapping the heatsink just result in about a 2-3C temperature delta?

On my TRUE lapping got me 7C, then I moved it to my current rig and after lapping my CPU with it, I dropped another 8C.

So once you lap the TRUE & CPU it's in a whole other league from the competition?
I'm pretty sure you'd have to apply a VERY VERY VERY THIN amount of TIM so that it doesn't actually ruin the performance since there's like no imperfections on the base and surface :p

which one is better if you don't plan on doing any lapping? this is my first i7 and I don't have the capital to replace stuff if I mess it up. According to a friend of mine the surface that gets smoothed out when lapped is a special coating that they do to prevent if from catching fire, I don't think that's true but who knows. Anyways I want to avoid lapping atm, can't afford to replace the processor if the lapping gets messed up.

i would buy thermalright ultra 120 with 1366 bolt kit, or sunbeam(or xigmatek) core contack style hs&f with 1366 retention kit.

which one is better if you don't plan on doing any lapping? this is my first i7 and I don't have the capital to replace stuff if I mess it up. According to a friend of mine the surface that gets smoothed out when lapped is a special coating that they do to prevent if from catching fire, I don't think that's true but who knows. Anyways I want to avoid lapping atm, can't afford to replace the processor if the lapping gets messed up.

no your friend was pulling your leg.

When lapping, dont sand the processor, processor the sandpaper, if you catch my drift. Ideally you'd have an engineering grade flat surface but those are expensive, a glass table is usually pretty flat, so what you do is tape your 800grit-2000grit paper to the table and run the processor back and forth across it. If you just sand it normally you'll get a perfectly shiny and brilliantly smooth surface with a concave shape, which more than defeats the purpose. Same goes for the heatsink base.

I don't understand why people over do the lapping deal, isn't the purpose just to get ride of the uneven surfaces? I don't see why you have to go all the way up to 800+ or whatever size grit by then the imperfections on the surfaces are hardly there and wouldn't be beneficial of applying a "normal" amount of TIM

This purpose of TIM is to fill in those gaps that the imperfections cause so heat transfer is better

No?

I don't understand why people over do the lapping deal, isn't the purpose just to get ride of the uneven surfaces? I don't see why you have to go all the way up to 800+ or whatever size grit by then the imperfections on the surfaces are hardly there and wouldn't be beneficial of applying a "normal" amount of TIM

This purpose of TIM is to fill in those gaps that the imperfections cause so heat transfer is better

No?

The point of lapping is to get both surfaces flat, but also get rid of any other type of gaps like those produced by the sand paper as it still leaves a profile, so the finer you go the smaller the profile, wile most people say after 800 grit the benefit vs time spent become diminishing. Mine was done to to a polish with 10,000 grit.

Where do we get the new style silver clips for the TRUE 120 pushing fan? I got the black casing like posted above for mine -_-

The point of lapping is to get both surfaces flat, but also get rid of any other type of gaps like those produced by the sand paper as it still leaves a profile, so the finer you go the smaller the profile, wile most people say after 800 grit the benefit vs time spent become diminishing. Mine was done to to a polish with 10,000 grit.

hoollyyyyy sheet. 10,000 grit? Thats gotta be just like paper.

Back