Ir0n_SamuraI
n00b
- Joined
- Oct 23, 2005
- Messages
- 23
I was interested in getting a heatsink to OC my 4400+ to around 2.6-2.8 if all goes well. I am concidering the scythe ninja with a sanyo denki 120mm fan, or the zalman CNPS9500. Which one is better?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ir0n_SamuraI said:thanks for the advice man, I had water cooling, but I had terrible leaking (IT POURED OUT) and I was sure everything was sealed and clamped in... I tried and tried, and it led to me smelling like water chiller, blister burning hands, and extreme anger and frustration,im RMAing my mobo from a 1) leak causing damage 2) 850W PSU incompatability with DFI lanparty expert, which Im not sure was the problem, but could be it, because I heard this stuff happens, it worked the first time, then stopped working.
and im RMAing my GTX's from damage on one from a waterblock. it happened under the heatsnk, and I hear newegg has some generous RMA, so i think I can get it RMA'd succesfully.
So is the ninja the better choice?
MRGREENEYES said:I have the Zalman CNPS9500.And I love it.
the problem with the big typhoon is that its raised soo high up so that wen you use a 38mm thick fan, it is starved of air bc it is soo close to the side panel wen you hav your case closedTheRapture said:Don't forget about the TT Big Typhoon....sure, some of TT's stuff sucks, but the Typhoon ain't one of them....
And it comes with a good and quiet fan already...add a bit more airflow and you got even better cooling....
And the Zalman 7700Cu is a fine cooler, but can't hang at higher clock speeds in warmer environments because it has no heatpipe tech.....
maybe because the ninja is cheaper{NcsO}ReichstaG said:Why doesn't anyone recommend the Sonic Tower..
with the sonic tower you can hook up a 120x120x38mm fan (if your mobo allows) but with that Ninja you can only hook up a 120x120x25 mm fan and also it looks easier to hook up more fans to the SonicTower than the Ninja by using those ZipTies....
DarkBahamut said:Well from everything ive read the ninja with 2 120mm fans is suppost to be the best air cooling you can get, so if you want some high overclocks on air, then i think thats your best bet. Other cooling like teh XP/SI-120, Zalman 9500 and so on are all good coolers also, but the ninja is suppost to be slightly better than them all, so that would be my choice right now.
N H O said:the problem with the big typhoon is that its raised soo high up so that wen you use a 38mm thick fan, it is starved of air bc it is soo close to the side panel wen you hav your case closed
N H O said:ah and the ninja and its tower style exhausts heat directly out the rear fan
only about $9 cheaper..and if your buying a fan once every couple of years, I can you spare the $9..N H O said:maybe because the ninja is cheaper![]()
yeea $9 cheaper AND better cooling, so why not?{NcsO}ReichstaG said:only about $9 cheaper..and if your buying a fan once every couple of years, I can you spare the $9..
the better cooling part is subjective..especially with enough fans on the Sonic..N H O said:yeea $9 cheaper AND better cooling, so why not?
I was thinking of a "quadriple" combination. front-middle-back top with 93 and 130 cfm fans..The Sonic Tower does just as well a cooling job with a fan as the Ninja, if I am not mistaken.
And with the Sonic Tower you can put the fan where you want. Single fan?...front, back, sandwhich. Dual fans?....front-middle, front-back, middle-back. Triple fans?...front-middle-back.
If I can find a good camera deal tonight or tomorrow, I will take pics of the Silent Tower in such a configuration.
TheRapture said:Not a problem if you use the included fan or a normal thickness one![]()
DarkBahamut said:Whats not 'normal' about a 38mm think fan?
why would u need zipties when you can use the fan clips?{NcsO}ReichstaG said:the better cooling part is subjective..especially with enough fans on the Sonic..
I had the same problem and could not decide, but in the end went with the Sonic because of all the fan configurations I can make with zipties. I doubt zipties work on that Ninja
N H O said:why would u need zipties when you can use the fan clips?
ah well for the ninja you can always use guitar wire or sumthinTiny said:It only comes with one set of clips and those only have holes to be front or back mounted. Zipties are needed if you want to middle mount a fan or add more than one fan and not have to order more fan clips.
TheRapture said:Isn't the one that comes on the Typhoon 25mm thick? Aren't most slow to medium speed 120's 25mm thick?
DarkBahamut said:The fan that it comes with probabaly is 25mm thank, that doesnt mean 38mm isnt 'normal' though. And Panaflo 120mm fans, which are some of the lowest noise fans are all 38mm think. Thinker fans are just another way of getting more air for the same noise, 38mm think fans are great.
SpoogeMonkey said:Since the Ninja has become the hot topic of debate, I dug up an old pic of it in action....see it here.
Leright said:lol omg, I need a copy of that pic. Is that the chick on TSS?
edit: morgan webb?
SpoogeMonkey said:Thats her. Not bad for a geek chick?
Edit: Look out ladies....I'm [H]ard....Gawd.....only 1024 more posts to go....
all the reason to get onepawstar said:My vote is for the Sythe Ninja - its an excellent cooler - quiet performance and excellect cooling capabilities even with low airflow.