whats a better cooler? need help

I was interested in getting a heatsink to OC my 4400+ to around 2.6-2.8 if all goes well. I am concidering the scythe ninja with a sanyo denki 120mm fan, or the zalman CNPS9500. Which one is better?

The Zalamn 7700 wouldnt be a good choice. Its an ok cooler, but not the best for high overclocking.

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT go expecting 2.6-2.8GHz out of your CPU, thats the fastest way to get disapointed. It always best to aim for a low number, then end up with more, than aim for something high and never get there. My 4400+ can just about reach 2.6GHz ish, although it certainly wont reach more without going into mid-high 50s on the temp (which is too much IMO), as for 2.8, you have almost no hope without water cooling (or more).

thanks for the advice man, I had water cooling, but I had terrible leaking (IT POURED OUT) and I was sure everything was sealed and clamped in... I tried and tried, and it led to me smelling like water chiller, blister burning hands, and extreme anger and frustration,im RMAing my mobo from a 1) leak causing damage 2) 850W PSU incompatability with DFI lanparty expert, which Im not sure was the problem, but could be it, because I heard this stuff happens, it worked the first time, then stopped working.

and im RMAing my GTX's from damage on one from a waterblock. it happened under the heatsnk, and I hear newegg has some generous RMA, so i think I can get it RMA'd succesfully.

So is the ninja the better choice?

Ir0n_SamuraI said:
thanks for the advice man, I had water cooling, but I had terrible leaking (IT POURED OUT) and I was sure everything was sealed and clamped in... I tried and tried, and it led to me smelling like water chiller, blister burning hands, and extreme anger and frustration,im RMAing my mobo from a 1) leak causing damage 2) 850W PSU incompatability with DFI lanparty expert, which Im not sure was the problem, but could be it, because I heard this stuff happens, it worked the first time, then stopped working.

and im RMAing my GTX's from damage on one from a waterblock. it happened under the heatsnk, and I hear newegg has some generous RMA, so i think I can get it RMA'd succesfully.

So is the ninja the better choice?

Well from everything ive read the ninja with 2 120mm fans is suppost to be the best air cooling you can get, so if you want some high overclocks on air, then i think thats your best bet. Other cooling like teh XP/SI-120, Zalman 9500 and so on are all good coolers also, but the ninja is suppost to be slightly better than them all, so that would be my choice right now.

scythe ninja all the way, get it while its sitll cheap at jab-tech

The Ninja is $40 shipped at the Egg. When I bought it, SVC had it the cheapest at $45.

// Get a Nexus or Panaflo fan. Don't settle for anything less.

Why doesn't anyone recommend the Sonic Tower..
with the sonic tower you can hook up a 120x120x38mm fan (if your mobo allows) but with that Ninja you can only hook up a 120x120x25 mm fan and also it looks easier to hook up more fans to the SonicTower than the Ninja by using those ZipTies....

A bigger fan doesnt automaticly mean better performance, its mostly the heatsink design that defines that. Using a bigger fan is nice for lower noise, but if performance is your goal then its not such a big issue.

yea, but the the performance that the sonic tower offers does not seem bad...especially paired up with two >90 cfm fans

The Sonic Tower does just as well a cooling job with a fan as the Ninja, if I am not mistaken.

And with the Sonic Tower you can put the fan where you want. Single fan?...front, back, sandwhich. Dual fans?....front-middle, front-back, middle-back. Triple fans?...front-middle-back.

If I can find a good camera deal tonight or tomorrow, I will take pics of the Silent Tower in such a configuration.

Don't forget about the TT Big Typhoon....sure, some of TT's stuff sucks, but the Typhoon ain't one of them....

And it comes with a good and quiet fan already...add a bit more airflow and you got even better cooling....

And the Zalman 7700Cu is a fine cooler, but can't hang at higher clock speeds in warmer environments because it has no heatpipe tech.....

TheRapture said:
Don't forget about the TT Big Typhoon....sure, some of TT's stuff sucks, but the Typhoon ain't one of them....

And it comes with a good and quiet fan already...add a bit more airflow and you got even better cooling....

And the Zalman 7700Cu is a fine cooler, but can't hang at higher clock speeds in warmer environments because it has no heatpipe tech.....
the problem with the big typhoon is that its raised soo high up so that wen you use a 38mm thick fan, it is starved of air bc it is soo close to the side panel wen you hav your case closed

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
Why doesn't anyone recommend the Sonic Tower..
with the sonic tower you can hook up a 120x120x38mm fan (if your mobo allows) but with that Ninja you can only hook up a 120x120x25 mm fan and also it looks easier to hook up more fans to the SonicTower than the Ninja by using those ZipTies....
maybe because the ninja is cheaper ;)

DarkBahamut said:
Well from everything ive read the ninja with 2 120mm fans is suppost to be the best air cooling you can get, so if you want some high overclocks on air, then i think thats your best bet. Other cooling like teh XP/SI-120, Zalman 9500 and so on are all good coolers also, but the ninja is suppost to be slightly better than them all, so that would be my choice right now.

That was me. Get the Ninja.

N H O said:
the problem with the big typhoon is that its raised soo high up so that wen you use a 38mm thick fan, it is starved of air bc it is soo close to the side panel wen you hav your case closed

Not a problem if you use the included fan or a normal thickness one :p

ah and the ninja and its tower style exhausts heat directly out the rear fan

N H O said:
ah and the ninja and its tower style exhausts heat directly out the rear fan

True, but my Tsunami case has a rear 120mm and dual 120mm power supply fans, it sucks the heat right out nicely.

Like someone else said, one cooler may be better than the other simply because of the case it is going in.... :p

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
only about $9 cheaper..and if your buying a fan once every couple of years, I can you spare the $9..
yeea $9 cheaper AND better cooling, so why not?

N H O said:
yeea $9 cheaper AND better cooling, so why not?
the better cooling part is subjective..especially with enough fans on the Sonic..
I had the same problem and could not decide, but in the end went with the Sonic because of all the fan configurations I can make with zipties. I doubt zipties work on that Ninja

The Sonic Tower does just as well a cooling job with a fan as the Ninja, if I am not mistaken.

And with the Sonic Tower you can put the fan where you want. Single fan?...front, back, sandwhich. Dual fans?....front-middle, front-back, middle-back. Triple fans?...front-middle-back.

If I can find a good camera deal tonight or tomorrow, I will take pics of the Silent Tower in such a configuration.
I was thinking of a "quadriple" combination. front-middle-back top with 93 and 130 cfm fans..

DarkBahamut said:
Whats not 'normal' about a 38mm think fan?

Isn't the one that comes on the Typhoon 25mm thick? Aren't most slow to medium speed 120's 25mm thick?

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
the better cooling part is subjective..especially with enough fans on the Sonic..
I had the same problem and could not decide, but in the end went with the Sonic because of all the fan configurations I can make with zipties. I doubt zipties work on that Ninja
why would u need zipties when you can use the fan clips?

N H O said:
why would u need zipties when you can use the fan clips?

It only comes with one set of clips and those only have holes to be front or back mounted. Zipties are needed if you want to middle mount a fan or add more than one fan and not have to order more fan clips.

Tiny said:
It only comes with one set of clips and those only have holes to be front or back mounted. Zipties are needed if you want to middle mount a fan or add more than one fan and not have to order more fan clips.
ah well for the ninja you can always use guitar wire or sumthin

TheRapture said:
Isn't the one that comes on the Typhoon 25mm thick? Aren't most slow to medium speed 120's 25mm thick?

The fan that it comes with probabaly is 25mm thank, that doesnt mean 38mm isnt 'normal' though. And Panaflo 120mm fans, which are some of the lowest noise fans are all 38mm think. Thinker fans are just another way of getting more air for the same noise, 38mm think fans are great.

DarkBahamut said:
The fan that it comes with probabaly is 25mm thank, that doesnt mean 38mm isnt 'normal' though. And Panaflo 120mm fans, which are some of the lowest noise fans are all 38mm think. Thinker fans are just another way of getting more air for the same noise, 38mm think fans are great.

Thinker fans? Or THICKER fans :)

J/K....yes, I see your point though...my Tsunami case would have enough room for a 38mm fan on the cooler, IF I did not have a normal 80mm side intake fan there.....as it is, it works PERFECT because that side fan gives the Typhoon s fresh outside air source....

SpoogeMonkey said:
Since the Ninja has become the hot topic of debate, I dug up an old pic of it in action....see it here.

lol omg, I need a copy of that pic. Is that the chick on TSS?

edit: morgan webb?

Leright said:
lol omg, I need a copy of that pic. Is that the chick on TSS?

edit: morgan webb?

Thats her. Not bad for a geek chick?

Edit: Look out ladies....I'm [H]ard....Gawd.....only 1024 more posts to go....

SpoogeMonkey said:
Thats her. Not bad for a geek chick?

Edit: Look out ladies....I'm [H]ard....Gawd.....only 1024 more posts to go....

she isn't bad. I just find it funny that a 'pretty hot' chick is working on a rack....I want it just because it is hilarious.

My vote is for the Sythe Ninja - its an excellent cooler - quiet performance and excellect cooling capabilities even with low airflow.

pawstar said:
My vote is for the Sythe Ninja - its an excellent cooler - quiet performance and excellect cooling capabilities even with low airflow.
all the reason to get one

Back