What You Do and Don't Get With The New iPhones

Back to OT:

The 64 bit subset of the A7 may be a huge turning point for Apple and its eco system. The 3rd party dev support will NOT be there but eventually when Apple replaces its own programs to 64 bit we may see something substantial. Right now, I don't see the point to adding the 64bit extensions, where phone performance is choked is mainly due to TDP. Not sure if 64bit is the answer here.

LMAO
http://www.theonion.com/articles/apple-unveils-panicked-ideafree-man-at-launch-even,33814/

ghBVmiz.jpg

Back to OT:

The 64 bit subset of the A7 may be a huge turning point for Apple and its eco system. The 3rd party dev support will NOT be there but eventually when Apple replaces its own programs to 64 bit we may see something substantial. Right now, I don't see the point to adding the 64bit extensions, where phone performance is choked is mainly due to TDP. Not sure if 64bit is the answer here.

ARM says the Cortex-A57 brings performance and power efficiency improvements over A15 due to some architectural changes. I think some of those could be found in the A7.

Regarding a 64-bit compiler, the only thing I've read so far is that Apple has "no comment at this time". So not sure if that means a new Xcode w/ ARMv8 LLVM / Clang support will be coming for developers or not. If not, the whole 64-bit thing is moot.

Back to OT:

Nothing but marketing...

And honestly MOST people who understand the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit will not be buying a iphone.

I loved my (almost 3 years old) Motorola Atrix's Fingerprint Scanner!
Hopefully now that apple has finally implemented one the rest of the industry will rush desperately to make it a standard feature.

ARM says the Cortex-A57 brings performance and power efficiency improvements over A15 due to some architectural changes. I think some of those could be found in the A7.

Regarding a 64-bit compiler, the only thing I've read so far is that Apple has "no comment at this time". So not sure if that means a new Xcode w/ ARMv8 LLVM / Clang support will be coming for developers or not. If not, the whole 64-bit thing is moot.

If they added ARMv8 I'd be interested to know what they added.

Back to OT:

It will be 2-3 years before 64bit is really beneficial for phones. There isn't anything really wrong with Apple making the switch now, their phones just will not see benefit this gen.

It will be 2-3 years before 64bit is really beneficial for phones. There isn't anything really wrong with Apple making the switch now, their phones just will not see benefit this gen.

I didn't say it was wrong, just that there was little point to supporting it right now from the consumer stand point. Its also strange to include 64bit on the S model. Honestly I don't think we will see performance differences between 32bit and 64bit even in the next few years. There's just too much of a power limitation on these to really see anything that matters.

I think including the iWorks apps with new iOS devices is a definite pro.

this touch screen phones are too delicate drop one and you are in whole for least 100 bucks
Generally, you're out nothing. Most smartphones — even relatively fragile ones — don't typically break from average-height drops.

Generally, you're out nothing. Most smartphones — even relatively fragile ones — don't typically break from average-height drops.

especially if you only limit your drops onto something like a mattress or trampoline

If you lock your phone using your fingerprint, doesn't that mean that the crooks now start stealing peoples fingers when they steal the phone?

Yeah the same crooks who's been cutting people's fingers off the past 10 years to access their fingerprint-protected Windows laptop.

Back to OT:

On the flip side, debs didn't make cellphone apps until Apple came around and made the iPhone. To paraphrase Wayne's World: if Apple makes it, they will come.

On the flip side, debs didn't make cellphone apps until Apple came around and made the iPhone. To paraphrase Wayne's World: if Apple makes it, they will come.

First of all devs were making lots of cell phone apps. the problem is the ignorant did not know about them for 2 reasons. 1 You had to go find them, 2 the cell phone providers tried to control the apps / app stores. This means official easy to find stuff was expensive and slow to develop, just the same as it is slow as hell to get an android update from your carrier. No cell phone company ever wanted to give that up but apple forced it on ATT. Then others had to start allowing it. Still it took a good 5 years of trying before companies finally pulled that power away from carriers.

First of all devs were making lots of cell phone apps. the problem is the ignorant did not know about them for 2 reasons. 1 You had to go find them, 2 the cell phone providers tried to control the apps / app stores. This means official easy to find stuff was expensive and slow to develop, just the same as it is slow as hell to get an android update from your carrier. No cell phone company ever wanted to give that up but apple forced it on ATT. Then others had to start allowing it. Still it took a good 5 years of trying before companies finally pulled that power away from carriers.

I've owned Blackberries for several years before my iPhone 3Gs and Windows 6.5 phones, and no, apps were not "out there" if you looked for them. Blackberry apps cost the same as Windows PC programs at the time. Apple was the one that opened the floodgate and introduced cheaper apps and developers who made 99c and $2.99 apps and pulled them all together into a single app store (which BlackBerry finally adopted a year after 3Gs came out on my Bold 9000. Hate Apple all you want, but they did pull us into the smartphone and tablet ecosphere where Microsoft tried many times and failed and BlackBerry very nearly achieved,

That's the difference between Android/Apple, with Android you have a choice of screen size.

My biggest complaint about most phones is the battery life. I'd rather have a thicker phone with 2 day battery. .

Hence my purchase of the Droid Razr Maxx HD. No better battery life out there.

Phone market is pretty stagnant for all parties at the moment. They're becoming commodities, which is a marketplace apple has never competed in. Hence all the sturm und drang about Apple's shrinking market cap.

BB

No phone has a MicroUSB 3.0 port, mUSB 3.0 uses a different port to 2.0 that are not compatible. You can't connect a 3.0 cable to a 2.0 port.

SD cards are annoyance for developers and users alike which is why most phone makers are dropping them.

No phone has a OLED screen yet.

Stop giving people wrong information!!!!! At least research before u try to sound smart. SMH

Im sceptical, people thought there would be a rush of developers on the pc side doing this when both amd and intel went 64bit but that didnt really happen. I know its a different eco system and mobile apps are much less complicated but i dont thinkwe will see a rush of 64bit development when there wont be any advantages.

I've owned Blackberries for several years before my iPhone 3Gs and Windows 6.5 phones, and no, apps were not "out there" if you looked for them. Blackberry apps cost the same as Windows PC programs at the time. Apple was the one that opened the floodgate and introduced cheaper apps and developers who made 99c and $2.99 apps and pulled them all together into a single app store (which BlackBerry finally adopted a year after 3Gs came out on my Bold 9000. Hate Apple all you want, but they did pull us into the smartphone and tablet ecosphere where Microsoft tried many times and failed and BlackBerry very nearly achieved,

So you had no clue that XDA existed before the iPhone right? I mean I guess XDA was just twiddling their thumbs waiting for the future to start... for years.

So you had no clue that XDA existed before the iPhone right? I mean I guess XDA was just twiddling their thumbs waiting for the future to start... for years.

Apps were real popular then right?

I understand if you don't like Apple, and they do sometimes get credit when they don't deserve it, but one thing they have always been good at is making something previously attempted become popular. Think Tablets, Microsoft made one way before the iPad, but it wasn't really popular, iPad comes along and the Tablet market booms.

Apps were in use, did I say they were incredibly popular? No, but plenty of people were buying $3 games to put on their razrs back in the day.

Apple came at the right time, when cell phone data and tech was coming together to make it something that was finally affordable to the masses. What their real power was, that they had the popularity of the iPod to negotiate terms other people wanted but could not get. I have said this so many times every company has wanted a unified brand, carriers DID NOT allow that in most cases. And the carriers wanted NOTHING to do with the OS makers getting a cut of the applications or having control over it. This is the whole reason apple didn't release on Verizon, because Verizon said FU if you think you are getting those terms.

Before any iPhone existed I was installing games, and productivity apps on windows mobile devices picked up around the internet. And lots of less savvy people were over paying for similar things on Symbian phones directly from the carriers. This was of course slow as anything with carriers is and that was the problem, but the carriers were never going to give this up unless their was something incredibly popular. If you tried they pushed your phone to the back of the store and didn't sell it. Ask danger about that.

I see Apple is still charging $200 for 48 gb of flash worth $30.

I have the iPhone 4S because work gave it to me for free for expense reporting, but god damn...tasty Kool Aid.

I like my 5, i think ill keep it

and the best "feature" of ios7 is built in flashlight app so you dont need a 3rd party lol

Hence my purchase of the Droid Razr Maxx HD. No better battery life out there.

Phone market is pretty stagnant for all parties at the moment. They're becoming commodities, which is a marketplace apple has never competed in. Hence all the sturm und drang about Apple's shrinking market cap.

BB
So your answer is to buy a phone you also can't change the battery in? Talk to me about its battery life in 6 months when it is half what it currently is.

I think with Apple saying "What took PC's years, we are doing in one day" what they are getting as is since they control the software and hardware the switch can happen at the same time. All apple related apps and hardware will take advantage of it on day one.

and the best "feature" of ios7 is built in flashlight app so you dont need a 3rd party lol

Something us DROID users have had for years.
My new HTC one has a barrage of included apps... Simple things like an included ad free flashlight is sweet. The included office software and suck is gold.

The improvements in graphics technology look promising, although I think it will be much more helpful if it is included in the next gen iPad ... the providing the iWorks for free could be a big win for Apple ... the motion control chip could be interesting as well, depending on how the developers use it

I'm not familiar with Apple products, can you get the newest IOS on older products (easily)?

I'm not familiar with Apple products, can you get the newest IOS on older products (easily)?
Yes, but typically only for a few generations until they drop the support. I have an iPad 2 and they still released iOS 6 for it.

You still don't get text wrap in safari. I can't for the life of me figure out why Apple refuses to add that feature in. Text wrap alone switched me from iOS to Android.

You still don't get text wrap in safari. I can't for the life of me figure out why Apple refuses to add that feature in. Text wrap alone switched me from iOS to Android.

Does Chrome for IOS have word wrap?

So your answer is to buy a phone you also can't change the battery in? Talk to me about its battery life in 6 months when it is half what it currently is.

It's been 6 months, and its not anywhere near half.

I would prefer a removable battery, but they're all tiny and I don't want to carry a spare battery around with me all the time. For my usage, the single, large, integrated battery was the optimal solution. Yours may be different.

If there was a REALLY neat phone that offered some unique killer feature I wanted and had a removable, smaller than I'd like battery, then sure, I might do that. It might be worth it to me. But it didn't exist when I bought.

I would NOT get an integrated battery on any device if that battery had less than 2600-3000 mAh rating. That is simply asking for frustration.

Nokia's and HTCs and iPhones with their scrawny 1800-ish mAh integrated batteries are not worth it at all.

BB

Back