What ya using your 1x slots for?

plugwash

[H]ard|Gawd
Was hoping to get a 10GBe Network card to fit a 1x PCI Slot. Cant find one.
I suspect the issue is that customers would complain about a 10 gigabit card that couldn't actually reach anywhere close to 10 gigabits per second. Even PCIe 3.0 maxes out at around 8 gigabits per second per lane.

I suspect we will see x1 10 gigabit cards eventually, but probally only after PCIe 4.0 trickles down to x1 slots.

Was hoping to get a M.2 expansion card to fit a 1x PCi slot. Cant find one.
They do exist, what card you need depends on whether your M.2 drive is SATA or PCIe.

Ones for SATA M.2 drives are quite common, but ones for PCIe M.2 drives are much rarer (most PCIe slot adapters for PCIe M.2 drives are x4, presumably again because people expect their drives to run at full speed), I did find a couple though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS64UBB/
https://www.amazon.com/M-key-Vertic...A6D190DCEA6&psc=1&refRID=HM2V1PPRMA6D190DCEA6
And for brits reading this here is one that can be bought in the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MZHOU-NVME...d_r=22F2RYN3JQFE9N7QYJJ5&psc=1&qid=1582470599

Last edited:
  • X-Fi Titanium HD
  • FL1100-based USB 3.0 host controller card (because a quad-sensor Oculus Rift CV1 setup practically demands it)
  • PEXHDCAP/SC500N1 video capture card
I was thinking of migrating to quad-controller USB 3.0 and a Datapath VisionRGB capture card for upgrades, but both of those require a x4 slot each, which means that consumer platforms with only 16 PCIe lanes off the CPU and x4 being squeezed through DMI to everything else on the motherboard (or AMD's equivalent) suddenly become woefully inadequate, especially as NVMe becomes the norm for SSDs and take up 4 lanes per drive.

Yes, it's because of this one issue that I'd consider 3rd-gen Threadripper for a gaming build, because I can't say no to all of those PCIe lanes. I'd even be fine with just 8 CPU cores, but 16 + 4 PCIe lanes just isn't enough any more. Both Intel and AMD need to step it up to 28-30 lanes on the mainstream desktop platforms; I'd be content with that much.

Meeho

Supreme [H]ardness
  • X-Fi Titanium HD
  • FL1100-based USB 3.0 host controller card (because a quad-sensor Oculus Rift CV1 setup practically demands it)
  • PEXHDCAP/SC500N1 video capture card
I was thinking of migrating to quad-controller USB 3.0 and a Datapath VisionRGB capture card for upgrades, but both of those require a x4 slot each, which means that consumer platforms with only 16 PCIe lanes off the CPU and x4 being squeezed through DMI to everything else on the motherboard (or AMD's equivalent) suddenly become woefully inadequate, especially as NVMe becomes the norm for SSDs and take up 4 lanes per drive.

Yes, it's because of this one issue that I'd consider 3rd-gen Threadripper for a gaming build, because I can't say no to all of those PCIe lanes. I'd even be fine with just 8 CPU cores, but 16 + 4 PCIe lanes just isn't enough any more. Both Intel and AMD need to step it up to 28-30 lanes on the mainstream desktop platforms; I'd be content with that much.
X570's 4x PCIe 4.0 link shouldn't be holding you back.

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
i have a syba 4 sata port raid 1x card in a computer that has 9 dvd drives.
good for what?
Good to use as storage drives on the netwokr... for movies, software, and other data that's not being accessed every day but will have decent speed.

Format _C:

2[H]4U
My Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H (Yes I am still using an old i7-4790K as my main PC) has three x1 slots and I am using all of them

I have a USB Internal card reader with 4 USB 3.0 ports (The plugin card is actually a PCI-e 1x to a standard 20 pin USB 3.0 header, and no I did not pay $150 for it I paid about $25)

I also have a Intel AX200/BT5 adapter with a converter card I also bought a better Antenna

my 3rd PCI-e x1 slot has an old LSI Concorde that I pulled from an eMachines computer that was being thrown out (I know the link says HP but the card is the same just with an Acer part # and not HP)

I am using the modem for my onscreen caller ID and call blocking software

I use an SD card reader, since my case doesn't have front 5.25" or 3.5" bays.

delock sd1.jpg
delock sd2.jpg

Delock PCI Express Card > 1 x external SDXC Slot (91743)

https://www.delock.com/produkte/575_internal/91743/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I use an SD card reader, since my case doesn't have front 5.25" or 3.5" bays.

View attachment 287024View attachment 287025

Delock PCI Express Card > 1 x external SDXC Slot (91743)

https://www.delock.com/produkte/575_internal/91743/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en

Neat I did not know those even existed. I do know about the Compact Flash to E-IDE as those are commonly used to replace the spinning disks on older computers for faster storage that is easiler to interface with a modern PC (that has a Compact Flash reader even those are getting difficult to find in modern PCs as standard)

Ready4Dis

2[H]4U
Of my 6 desktops, 3 of them have PCIe x1 WiFi cards and 3 have it build into the MB. That's the only thing I've used a x1 slot for that I can recall. I think I may have x1 USB 3.0 adapter in my server that only supported usb 2.0, but that's kind of niche case at this time.

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
Do sound cards or wifi cards even need 4x or is 1x more than enough? I haven't looked at these numbers since I have no idea when.

Nenu

[H]ardened
1x is more than enough for a sound card and up to 8Gbps for networking.