What would cause this (printer issue)

FrEaKy

[H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy
Okay, when I have a computer NOT part of a domain, and add the printer (there both on same VLan and Subnet), it works fine.

Than I add the computer to the domain, printer stops working.

If I Delete the printer and than reinstall printer using same IP, works fine.

What is stopping it from working when I switched the PC to the domain?

BTW, printer is an HP LaserJet P4014dn and windows 7 machines.

Jetdirect card able to be pulled out in that model? If so pull it out, clean off its contacts and reinstall?

Jetdirect card able to be pulled out in that model? If so pull it out, clean off its contacts and reinstall?

jetdirect is embedded. No expansion card for network required for a dn (duplex / network) model.

Only thing I can think of is that when you join the domain you then are logging in as a domain account rather than the local computer account and some permissions problems and/or drivers are not working correctly.

It sounds like a permission issue, but the only thing I can think of is the Point and Print GPO. That's not going to cause this, however.

That said, if these computers in a domain, why not install the printer on a server, then use preferences to push it out to the clients? I'd turn off Point and Print before you do it, or at least configure it correctly, but that way you'd have central management of the printers AND you won't have to physically touch each computer just to install a printer.

Then you can also deploy the printer through GPO by just assigning them to a group for each printer. Works beautifully.

Then you can also deploy the printer through GPO by just assigning them to a group for each printer. Works beautifully.
Indeed, AND you can control the printer settings from a central location, instead of needing to touch each system individually when settings change.

The problem with the domain is I have had to rig this whole thing myself.

I am in a joint school, 2 schools sharing a single building. The school I DONT work for has major control of the network and therefor has there own domain, I have a domain thats interconnecting and tunneling with another domain of ours in another city using AD and DNS tunneling. So I dont have my own print server here so its a little more funny.

The thing is, I can easily just go back to the computer, remove the printer and quickly reinstall it with no problems at all, liek I said, its only switching from a standard local pc to a domain does this happen, really weird.

Now in 2 years we will have our own campus directly here in the town I work and we will move everything there and everything will be correct including a print server, but for now, no dice.

does this happen with any user that logs in or only a certain one?

how are you installing the printer? The IP of the actual printer or the IP of a printer server setup somewhere sharing the printer?

does this happen with any user that logs in or only a certain one?

how are you installing the printer? The IP of the actual printer or the IP of a printer server setup somewhere sharing the printer?

IP only

Back