• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What will read this old flash card?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 29, 2000
Messages
42,406
What the title says.

This was located in the document room at work in a folder with some old documents. We suspect something we may need may be on it, but I have never seen a flash card this big (physically).

Does anyone know what format it is, and how we might go about reading it?

The connector side is remeniscent of CompactFlash, but I don't think it is.

Pics:

6345485148_c4d0c49d97.jpg


6345486662_6a467646b2.jpg


6345487192_bd4cac4d9b.jpg



Any ideas?

it may be PCMCIA, but how would I read that today?

Much Obliged,
Matt
 
That definitely looks like PCMCIA to me. You would need something like this or an older laptop with that slot to read it.
 
Yep, that's a PCMCIA memory card. Any 'older' laptop (I'm thinking 486 and Pentium days) should have a PCMCIA slot and be able to access the card. If you don't have one of those laptops around anymore, you might be able to get an external PCMCIA card reader that connects to your computer via USB...
 
I've seen PCI cards that had a PCMCIA slot in them, around 30 bucks. I've never seen a USB one but they may exist.
 
Thanks guys!

I actually found a working laptop with what at least is a pin compatible slot. (Dell Latitude D620).

I was familiar with PCMCIA, but I only ever used it to equip older laptops with wifi cards. Never knew they sold flash memory for them :p
 
Zarathustra[H];1038022434 said:
I was familiar with PCMCIA, but I only ever used it to equip older laptops with wifi cards. Never knew they sold flash memory for them :p

CompactFlash (the bigger cards you still use for professional cameras) works the same way, it's just a smaller PCMCIA connector like a 25-pin vs 9-pin serial connector. Before 5 million-in-1 card readers (and USB in general) where common a PCMCIA pin adapter was the main way to read them.

On the flip side the fact that CompactFlash was really a full PCMCIA device opened up some interesting possiblities - IBM microdrives (mechanical 1" harddrives in a CompactFlash form factor) as well as hacking a 'reverse' PCMCIA pin adapter in order to plug a full size PCMCIA modem or network card into early Windows CE PDAs which had CompactFlash memory slots.
 
Back
Top