What Went Wrong With Quantum Break On PC?

HardOCP News

[H] News
After spending a good deal of time testing Quantum Break, Eurogamer wants to know just what went wrong with the game. Frame rate issues, lack of video options, performance issues, problems with image quality and crashing are all present in the PC version of the game. Obviously this means that, once again, PC gamers are getting hosed with by a crappy port of a console game. :(

We really enjoyed Quantum Break on Xbox One and the promise of using additional horsepower to smooth out the game's issues and play at 60fps was a huge lure in us fronting up the cash to buy the PC game, but the bottom line is that the PC version is a profound disappointment. The few improvements on offer cannot offset the major performance and image quality issues present in this port. What really stings is that some of these issues could be addressed by the community right now if not for the limitations of the Universal Windows Platform.

Microsoft's "renewed focus on PC gaming."
They say this every year, and then every year the realize that if they make the games awesome on PC a lot less people will buy an XBONE. The only solution I see if for them to get out of the console industry.

It seems like there aren't so many PC problems (outside of frame pacing and problems associated with being a UWP game) as there are NVIDIA problems in DX12.

seems like every windows store PC game is screwed.

I upgraded yesterday to win10 edu and cant even buy any of the win10 exclusive games (quantum, gears, killer instinct, tomb raider) It tells me to upgrade my windows..... everything else in the store is purchase-able. googling shows 0 people with this problem.

A shame. I want to support Remedy but I cannot support bad ports. Of course, they'll be defenders saying that UWP isn't to blame. Though, I'm finding it harder and harder to find any kind of logic in that stance.

seems like every windows store PC game is screwed.

I upgraded yesterday to win10 edu and cant even buy any of the win10 exclusive games (quantum, gears, killer instinct, tomb raider) It tells me to upgrade my windows..... everything else in the store is purchase-able. googling shows 0 people with this problem.

Are you using a Preview build? If so, you can't access some store games. Not sure why you would want to buy those games though... Every one of them is all jacked up in one way or another, KI doesn't even work correctly with monitors over 60Hz...

Are you using a Preview build? If so, you can't access some store games. Not sure why you would want to buy those games though... Every one of them is all jacked up in one way or another, KI doesn't even work correctly with monitors over 60Hz...

Don't think so, i saw an option to enable preview build but didn't. I "bought" it from dreamspark, made a DVD and installed it over windows 7 ultimate.

I'm not in a hurry to get any of them, but it was one of about 5 reasons for me to upgrade, so im a little sad.

Don't think so, i saw an option to enable preview build but didn't. I "bought" it from dreamspark, made a DVD and installed it over windows 7 ultimate.

I'm not in a hurry to get any of them, but it was one of about 5 reasons for me to upgrade, so im a little sad.

You have to be at build 10586+ to run those games.

The education version is still on Build 10240 like the Enterprise version I believe. You have to be at build 10586+ to run those games.
Oh yeah, it says 10240. thats weird... I applied all the updates I could when I installed it. I guess they're on a different schedule? wonder when it will be on/pass 10586.

Thanks for the info, I REALLY couldn't find it after 45+ minutes of searching. Sorry for going off-topic.

Oh yeah, it says 10240. thats weird... I applied all the updates I could when I installed it. I guess they're on a different schedule? wonder when it will be on/pass 10586.

Thanks for the info, I REALLY couldn't find it after 45+ minutes of searching.

Happy to help! I just checked MSDN and there is a Windows 10 Build 10586 Education version out there. Not sure how the education version updates but it should be picking up functional updates. The only version that wouldn't that I know would be the Enterprise LTSB version.

There are a lot of moving new and moving parts here. Windows 10, DX 12 and UWA. There are issues with UWA that have been acknowledged by Microsoft that should have a lot of this sorted out with Redstone 1 coming in July. I guess the question is why even both with UWA and just stick to Win32. UWA apps do make sense in the context of targeting multiple kinds of devices with a single deployment but perhaps not as much sense for desktop PC games.

Any who, I got the game and running in on an old i7-980x with 3x GTX 680s. Waiting for the next NVidia GPUs to come out and will probably build a nice rig this summer or early fall. The QB runs ok with a lot of lowered settings and it's been solid stability wise. Not the best looking game but this is the kind of game that I like so overall happy with it.

720p low settings and can't get above 50fps on a Titan X ROFL!!! Epic fail Microsoft!!

EDIT Looks like it might be capped at 50fps for some reason but the amd card shows it going above 50fps on occasion.

Last edited:
Well hopefully enough of these problems push microsoft to fix UWP. I like the concept, but obviously they have serious problems to fix. It's really a shame they are trying to push it when it's not ready. Hopefully they fix it in the anniversary update and make it so it works with steam and other app stores.

Thanks for the info, I REALLY couldn't find it after 45+ minutes of searching. Sorry for going off-topic.
Just a heads up, I had an issue with reinstalling Win10 Edu edition from DreamSpark not updating from 10240. I had all the updates and everything - apparently it counted it as an 'upgrade' and the build won't go through Windows Updates for 30 days (in case you were to want to go back to your previous OS - makes sense if you didn't do a fresh install). So what you can do, is download the 10586 ISO and run it directly from within Windows to manually do the upgrade. It shouldn't touch your installed applications / files, it'll just upgrade Windows. Spent days waiting for the update to come through... found out about the "30 day wait period" and manually installed it...within an hour I was back up and running on 10586.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
The whole video is about how Nvidia owners are hosed from another DX12 game. Yea it's a bad Windows port, but what did you expect from Microsoft? But I think we have yet another Dx12 game that shows that Nvidia hardware just isn't DX12 ready.

Nvidia owners, you've been warned.

qodf2dy.jpg

Really excited to be playing Quantum Break on my XBox One this weekend! :D However, I bought the game one day before release as a pre order so, I will have the game for my PC as well. Looks like an NVidia issue this go around and I have a 980 Ti but, I am sure they will have things fixed in eventually. I am very much looking forward to all the other games that will be released but, Quantum Break is the first game I have been truly excited about in at least 14 years. (Last one was Bridge Commander in 2002, a Star Trek game.) Between then and now, there were some good games for me but nothing to get excited about. Surprised I have not see the usual culprits here yet. For me, I own the game, how about you guys?

Sad thing is that Microsoft could continue to produce high-quality PC games. It's profitable, it's just not profitable enough for these greedy bastards.

Microsoft really needs to kill off the Xbox division. At this point the Xbox ecosystem is really just a sort of ultra-restrictive DRM scheme where you have to buy an approved low-midrange PC and run approved software to play... PC games. They've failed to advance their strategy of 'dominating the living room,' it's consistently losing/spending money, and with the stagnation of growth in the PC market they really can't afford to compete with themselves by having multiple PC platforms. Unfortunately, it's clear that Microsoft would rather move the entire PC world to a restricted and appified model like iOS.

I'm normally pretty patient about PC games having one or two issues right out of the gate. Normally they get patched and it turns out fine. But in this case it's fucking everything with Quantum Break. The resolution, frame pacing, framerate, no SLI, no Gsync, no way to use a frame counter. I'm fucking pissed at Microsoft, but it's my own fault for trusting them, and throwing away sixty dollars.

UWP is a dumpster fire, best to quit and move the games to a competent store front why they still can.

nice tongue in cheek.. Microsoft when it comes to pc gaming seems to be on the same page as the nelson mandela funeral translator from years back.. a bunch of bullshit.

It seems like there aren't so many PC problems (outside of frame pacing and problems associated with being a UWP game) as there are NVIDIA problems in DX12.
That's kind of like saying "There aren't so many ISP problems (aside from regional monopolies, non-competitive agreements, six strikes laws, and data cap) so much as there are VERIZON problems."

Point being, the problems with UWP are huge. You can't just sweep that crap under the rug and act like this is all Nvidia. They frame-capped the game at 50fps for gods sake AND it's unmoddable, so you literally can't stop screen tearing above 30fps (and even that has jutter). The more accurate statement would be everything connected to UWP is a complete nightmare AND Nvidia cards get double-tapped just for good measure.

^ Pretty much. I find people will find an excuse for a lot of things. I don't know why anyone would defend UWP.

I don't know why anyone would defend UWP.

Simple, not everything is going to a web site or a Win32 app. I can understand someone saying that all AAA games should be Win32. Ok. But maybe some would like a Netflix or Hulu or Uber app that works well and not just with a keyboard and mouse under Windows. And maybe developers might take more interest in other Microsoft platforms like HoloLens if they can leverage the code to other platforms. And maybe Windows can have no upfront cost if there's a store for Microsoft to make money from.

It's just the nature of the world of computing these days. Mobile app stores are humongous today. Win32 forever and always just doesn't seem to fit today's mold. I get that people here say their PC isn't a smartphone. Is that really how most see it these days?

Simple, not everything is going to a web site or a Win32 app. I can understand someone saying that all AAA games should be Win32. Ok. But maybe some would like a Netflix or Hulu or Uber app that works well and not just with a keyboard and mouse under Windows. And maybe developers might take more interest in other Microsoft platforms like HoloLens if they can leverage the code to other platforms. And maybe Windows can have no upfront cost if there's a store for Microsoft to make money from.

It's just the nature of the world of computing these days. Mobile app stores are humongous today. Win32 forever and always just doesn't seem to fit today's mold. I get that people here say their PC isn't a smartphone. Is that really how most see it these days?

Yes, let's defend something that doesn't work. When it does...then call me.

Why don't they use deep learning to program drivers? Hmm ... oh wait ... not those drivers ...

So what I'm hearing is that it's fine to ruin PC gaming in its current form by introducing big, tangible drawbacks, making the platform more restrictive than it's ever been, and try to leverage a de facto monopoly on the OS (for PC Gaming) to push users and developers into this as long as it makes things easier for making Netflix apps?

I think you're trying to create a false dichotomy between Win32 and UWP, as if those were the only options conceivable. Games don't need to remain Win32 executables forever. Platforms and standards can change if there's a good reason to. No one's arguing gaming couldn't be more secure and standardized, however, UWP is simply a horrible precedent for the average PC gamer. MS clearly isn't interested in advancing the PC gaming platform, it's trying to perform a stranglehold on it.

It's like trying to compare a car with no seatbelts from the 1950s, but highly tuneable, to one with lots of defective electronics that can't be fixed, can't go above 35mph and requires a long breathalyzer authentication process in order to start, then saying the newer one is better and clearly progress. They're both flawed and it's just pure jackassery that the newer "standard" is quantitatively worse than the old one in many ways, even though it has seatbelts.

Oh oh oh, wait I can tell you: it's the exact same thing that went wrong with alan wake: microsoft's money.

What the heck is the problem with win32? Why the need for an universal store? I hate the play store just as much. The good apps get lost between tons and tons of garbage, and it's completely impossible to find which apps are actually good. Why don't we bring that over to the PC, I don't know, maybe because it sucks ass? Steam sucks ass too for the same reason. I mean it's good for organzing and installing and downloading the games you own, but for actually finding games and buying them it's almost as bad. But steam and other stores don't force games into a ridicilous sandbox, for no reason whatsoever. Who decided that the PC needs to be protected from running games by putting them in a sandbox environment? Of course if you think about it you realize that's just the official narrative, to spin it. UWP is nothing but a broken Xbone emulator, that's why it sucks and it will go on sucking. If MS wants the PC gaming market, they should start writing games for the PC, and not trying to emulate XBONE games on it.

No one's arguing gaming couldn't be more secure and standardized,.
I'd like to argue. Since when did security became an issue with games? And what is there to standardize? Games are all unique, there is nothing to standardize about them that would give a tangible benefit. Forcing games into a standardized environment, has nothing but drawbacks as the example of continous fails from UWP shows.

The whole video is about how Nvidia owners are hosed from another DX12 game. Yea it's a bad Windows port, but what did you expect from Microsoft? But I think we have yet another Dx12 game that shows that Nvidia hardware just isn't DX12 ready.

Nvidia owners, you've been warned.

Can we stop with the trolling already? No one cares which brand of GPU you own. It's as bad as the console fanboys.

I'd like to argue. Since when did security became an issue with games? And what is there to standardize? Games are all unique, there is nothing to standardize about them that would give a tangible benefit. Forcing games into a standardized environment, has nothing but drawbacks as the example of continous fails from UWP shows.
Well there are multiplayer games I've seen die because they've been overrun by hacking, having things locked down could be beneficial under specific circumstances. I guess what I was driving at is I would be happy to see things leave Win32 just to get gaming off of Windows in general, since MS is going to keep pulling crap like this into eternity.

Back