What was your First PC?

HardD99

[H]ard|Gawd
for me my first pc was a VERY old word processor thing that didnt even have an insert function, so when i typed a whole report and then proof-read it and saw an error i would have to retype EVERYTHING after the error that was made. was using those REAL floppies 5.25" i think. damn black and white monitor, and a printer that took about a full minute per page to print. it had i few games on it too, man those were the dayz. i think i had that thing for about 2 years, i couldnt even carry the damn thing by myself it was so big and heavy. then came my BIG upgrade my TANDY 486! and windoze 3.11... ahh the memories... never in my wildest dreams did i ever imagine that i would have what i have in my sig...

so anyways whats your first memory of your very first pc?

My first memory was of my Tandy 286 computer, had it for many years. It gave my Gateway G6-266 computer a run for its money, it lasted through the crashes of my gateway to the hard drops while moving it around.

It still ran quite perfectly for its age, purchased in 1989 it lasted till last year, when I build my first pentium 4 computer. I donated it to Goodwill along with the original monitor, dot-matrix printer, keyboard and mouse, all in original boxes taped up.

Those were the days when they made cases sturdy and with steel. And still managed to run even dropped off a table or maybe a tall building.

i had a comodore 64 at one point, didnt really know how to use it though. The computer that really got me started was a packard bell 486 dx2 66mhz, duke nukem used to play modem games with my friends before i had the internet. fun stuff.

MY first machine was an IBM PS ValuePoint 486 66MHz with a retrofitted WD 1.2 GB HD
The first machine my family had at home was an IBM PC/AT running at a blistering 9.5 MHz and a capacious 20 MB HD and a 2400 baud INTERNAL modem....whoo hoo....still remember loading the 1.2Meg 5.25 floppies to load MS-Dos 3.1.....hoo boy, how things have changed

Tandy Color Computer 16k ... ahhh those were the days.. tape drive.. take 20min to load a program.. strange though.. dont miss it a bit

LordVampyre said:
Tandy Color Computer 16k ... ahhh those were the days.. tape drive.. take 20min to load a program.. strange though.. dont miss it a bit

IIRC that was a Trash-80 model...right?

My own first comp, that I owned? Check sig. Except without the 6600GT, and 120GB HDD, and DVD Burner.

First family comp, 386 of somesorts, second family comp the P3 in my sig, 3rd Family comp, sig.

First family comp was a gateway, about 9 years ago. After that, I had one built to what I thought would work, in 2000-2001ish, I guess. Was an amd thoroughbred-a, 1700+, geforce 2, 40gb 5400 rpm maxtor hard drive(which I'm using atm), basic cd-rom drive and crappy speakers(also using atm), beige case, pcchips mobo, and 256mb of kingston pc133 valueram(or whatever their's is called). Later on I got rid of the geforce 2 for an fx5200, and noticed virtually no difference in gaming :/
I finally just got rid of that, and will rebuild if for my sister. What I have now is in my sig, and is the first comp where I've put it all together, and been happy with the parts.

I received my first computer when I was 8-10, I cant recall. It was 3000.00 USD (christmas present). I believe it was a 386. I was very happy. :D

First computer was a Commodore 64, 13 inch GREEN monitor, the 1541 5.25 floppy drive, 1200 baud modem. Had about a foot-high stack of 5.25 floppies with random games I had either bought or downloaded (over the course of days) over the B.B.S dial-in system, before the internet. Man, that was a LONG time ago.

My favorite C64 came was Project: Stealth Fighter, by Broderbund I beleive.. Second fave would probably have to be Winter Games.

The first computer that was my very own was a 486-33mhz. It had 8 megs of ram and 2 x 100MB HD's.

Commodore Vic-20 (before the Commodore 64).

Basically, a keyboard connected to a cassette tape "drive", which you then connected to the TV via the screw type UHF leads on the back. Although when encoding video on my current beast, it seems slower than the old Vic.......need an encoding farm.

first PC I could call my own? Some shitty 386/486. No internet. Just the crap that was on the PC(win3.1, random games)

Second was a Packard Hell PI 166mhz
Third AMD K6/2 350mhz
Fourth Intel Pentium II 450mhz
Fifth Intel Pentium III 600mhz
Fourth AMD Athlon Thunderbird core 1.33ghz
Fifth AMD 2500+ Barton
Sixth AMD 3000+ Athlon64 Winchester

Before that I used to play on my friends computers, and Com64's, Ataris and the like

Beyond that I have alot of old machines around me(PII's PIII's)

And i've probably built close to 2 thousand machines. From low end junk 8088/8086 to Dual Operton Servers.

I tend to stay away from intel/xeon stuff.

First PC was an old Acer Aspire P1 or P2 100mhz with 1MB of ram or something like that, all i did was play descent, sick game :)

I believe my first machine was an Atari something. We had dual monitors, one was black and white, the other one was color. We had dual floppies for those direct 1.44 to 1.44 copies (oh yeah :D ). The system didn't have a HD, everything was done from floppies. I use to play games and stuff on it when I was little. Wish I knew more about it, but I was too little to remember.

SB22 said:
I believe my first machine was an Atari something. We had dual monitors, one was black and white, the other one was color. We had dual floppies for those direct 1.44 to 1.44 copies (oh yeah :D ). The system didn't have a HD, everything was done from floppies. I use to play games and stuff on it when I was little. Wish I knew more about it, but I was too little to remember.

Atari made a computer?? I'm trying to picture it in my head. I personally didn't have one but.......nah, can't picture it. Speaking of Atari, my "predecessors" to my 'state of the art' Commodore 64, from which I ran a BBS site (don't ask), was first: Colecovision, followed by the Atari 2600. Never got the 7200. There was another gaming system out at the time, comporable to the Atari 7200, don't remember who manufactured it, but I didn't have one, and some of my friends did, which made me mad of course. :p

Revealed some age on that one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If a Commondor 64 counts, got that one(just for gaming). Some POS from Sears based on the 386, with windows 3.0.

first comp was an apple2e got free from my school way back in 98 or so
secund comp was an 486dx4 running at 120mhz 128mb of ram

My very first was a 386sx16 processor with 4MB RAM, a 40MB hard drive, 2400 baud modem and a 12" amdek amber screen mono monitor. I taught myself DOS with it and trolled the BBS sites. My buddy helped my piece the system together from old parts he had laying around. The case/mobo and CPU came out of an old Pukey Bell system. I ended up adding a SVGA card and a 14" SVGA monitor before I got rid of the system.

Next, I made the mistake of buying a system from a vendor out of Computer Shopper magazine. At the time, 486DX33 was the main computer available and 486DX2-66 computers were just coming out. I bought a system that used an IBM 486SLC2-66 (I think it was), which was just a 386 on steroids. It was about as fast as a 486DX2-50, but could only address a maximum of 16MB of RAM. I still learned a lot with this computer though. It had a 1MB video card, 8MB RAM and a 250MB hard drive. It was also fast enough to run Doom... :D I had Windows 3.11 on this machine (I'd skipped Windows 3.1 because I'd prefered DOS). I learned how to add a soundcard, another hard drive and other such fun things with this system. I also learned to never, EVER buy a complete system again.

That brings me to the first system I ever built myself. It was a very nice system for the time. Intel Endeavor mobo with a Pentium 133. 64MB RAM, an 850MB hard drive, video card with 4MB VRAM, 17" monitor, Monster 3D card and 2.1 speakers. The system totally kicked butt for the Quake time period. I built a very similar second PC using a cheaper mobo and a P5-120 so friends could come over and we could play Quake 1on1 over the LAN. What a blast. I learned a ton by building my own and have never bought another complete system (for personal use). I've had many computers since, but the above are the computers I remember the most... :cool:

My first PC was a Wang 286 8-12 mhz with a turbo button. To this day I don't think I have seen anything quite like it, but it was fairly loaded, math co-processor card for AutoCAD beyond that I don't remember much about it, except that it got used for Harvard Graphics alot. MMMMMM......Turbo button..... :p

By definition, mine was a 486/33 with 4 Megabytes of Ram, a 14 inch color vga monitor and 512k ISA video card. Not my first computer, however. Just first "IBM Compatible"

Some old compaq PII 266mhz, 2gb hard drive, 64mb RAM that my parents bought be when I was 8 for coming in 1st in the state in wrestling :D Of course my next computer after that one was an A64 3200+, 160gb hard drive, 1gb RAM, 6800NU, 6 years afterward. Mmm... Dune 2000-pre-2000.... Outpost 2... Jazz Jackrabbit... Those games pwned Warcraft III, Doom 3, Half Life 2 and all these new games! :rolleyes:

Commodore 64 and Apple IIe ... both running side by side. People used to say my room looked like Norad with all the computers. having two computers wasn't quite common place 15 years ago. :eek: My favorite games were Spy Hunter, Oregon Trail, battle chess and lemonade stand.

533mhz celeron

128mb ram

11mb onboard video

10gb hard drive

a wierd compusa case

Quantex, can't even remember specs. Probably Pentium 333, 32mb ram? I remember it didn't have a 3d card and then for christmas I got a voodoo banshee so I could play motocross madness lol

the first computer i ever used (parents) was a Commadore64 :D

My first computer was a Dell Dimension 8100 P4 1.6GHz, 256 RDRAM, 60GB, GeForce2

My first pc was a dell dimension 4400 that I bought at best buy about 6 years ago.. then i gave it to my 10 yr old bro, and built my first pc (specs in sig), about 3 months ago..

macII i was real little and i use to go into the word program and just beat the shit out of the keyboard :D then a compaq with 32mb of ram and a amd k6 running at 233mhz. then we got a 2ghz northwood dell in 2001 with 512mb pc2100 and a gf2 64mb card later upgraded christmas of 2001 to a ti4600(all purchased by my grandmother whos house me and my mom live in cause we are poor).. then my mom bought a 2.8Cghz p4 with 512mb of ram which i was origanally going to turn into a gaming machein but she never let me install a new card(purchased with tax refunds and a loan), this was 2003. now 2005 i build my system containing a 3000+A64 winchester 1gb pc3200 ram and a 6800gt(2years of saving)

First was a huge IBM 486/DX2 at 66 mhz. I was the first kid at school to have both a CDROM and 5.25" floppy.

Back