what version of vista will you buy?

what version of vista will you buy?

• 32bit

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • 64bit

Votes: 72 79.1%

• Total voters
32 vs 64bit? Both are supposed to come on the same CD (DVD?) for most of the versons of Vista I thought.

Unknown-One said:
32 vs 64bit? Both are supposed to come on the same CD (DVD?) for most of the versons of Vista I thought.

That is what I thought too.. I was under the impression that, except for the 3rd world version, they would all be 32/64 bit depending on what cpu the install program was presented with..

Whatever one is available for $20 through my Microsoft partner program, like XP Pro.

I...don't know. Whatever my work will give me (if any), otherwise I'll just stick with XP and Linux. It will probably be 32-bit since I don't have 64-bit hardware.

OP prolly assumed that only people planning on eventually purchasing Vista would want to vote in the poll..

So are you a Xp forever type or Linux L33T..??? And I ask that with the utmost sarcasm..

:D :D

GORANKAR said:
OP prolly assumed that only people planning on eventually purchasing Vista would want to vote in the poll..

So are you a Xp forever type or Linux L33T..??? And I ask that with the utmost sarcasm..

:D :D
Windows 3.11...does everything I need it to...And I say that with the utmost sarcasm..

I'm glad to hear it.. I was worried you were just thread crapping.. :)

I'm with you, I've never paid more than $39 for my operating systems through Microsoft's various programs :cool:

djnes said:
Whatever one is available for $20 through my Microsoft partner program, like XP Pro.

The one that actually provides me something I care for. What's after Vista again...

Asian Dub Foundation said:
32bit... imo 64bit won't be mainstream for a long time
Somehow, I think that the 64bit verson of Vista is going to be a big push for 64bit. Drivers should start showing up for it quickly once its released.

By the time Vista is finally released, I should have a nice 64-bit computer and drivers are more 64-bit programs are anticipated greatly this year.

I think MS will push 64 bit computing when Vista comes out and encourage it a lot more than they have done previously.

IF I was to buy Vista, I would get the 64 bit version, but I won't buy Vista because I will not waste my time with Digital Rights Crippling.

This topic seems silly to me. You have a 64 bit cpu, you get the 64 bit version. You have a 32 bit cpu, you get the 32 bit version.

tskiller said:
This topic seems silly to me. You have a 64 bit cpu, you get the 64 bit version. You have a 32 bit cpu, you get the 32 bit version.

i wanted to know if people are going to upgrade to 64bit...

to me it seam not necessary for now, what do you guys think?

tskiller said:
Huh? Many people here have 64 bit CPUs, but they don't all use x64.

Shameless Liar said:
Huh? Many people here have 64 bit CPUs, but they don't all use x64.

64 bit xp is a little diferent. It was created as an afterthought. Vista is being designed from the ground up with 64 bit operation as a big feature. In addition, sense it is such a major release, the major hardware divelopers will be created proper 64 bit drivers for it. All but one version of vista will support 64 bit, so its pretty safe to assume that they are not going to give it the same crappy treatment xp 64 got.

I plabn to stick with XP for as long as I can. I dont like vista's layout for the My Computer screens or file browser.

Wanna see how Vista's x64 drivers work XP x64 when its all out.

Shameless Liar said:
IF I was to buy Vista, I would get the 64 bit version, but I won't buy Vista because I will not waste my time with Digital Rights Crippling.

QFT. I doubt I'll be getting Vista either.

Eh, i doubt drm will bother atleast me that much. I dont use itunes, and none of my media has any drm to begin with so it wont affect me that much. I rip all of my own cds so hopefully atleast music wont be bugged. I guess we shall see.

Shameless Liar said:
But..but...it's a feature for for *you*, the average consumer. To improve your mutlimedia experience.

That's what MS tells me anyway.

Enterprise/Ultimate.

The number of people who will want to attempt to migrate/use means money in the pockets for consultants (like myself).

Well since I just sucessfully converted to modular Xorg-7 (from monolithic Xorg6.9) and Xgl is running smoothly with my nVidia card on a GNOME desktop with mplayer playing PRimer on DVD via deCSS with trasparacy watching an emerge of openoffice happening behind it, while also spinning all my virutal desktops in a 3D cube, I have all the visual effects Vista will off plus a load more NOW!!!! and office capability + DVD capability plus Matlab capability for work

Why do I need Vista?

tskiller said:
64 bit xp is a little diferent. It was created as an afterthought. Vista is being designed from the ground up with 64 bit operation as a big feature. In addition, sense it is such a major release, the major hardware divelopers will be created proper 64 bit drivers for it. All but one version of vista will support 64 bit, so its pretty safe to assume that they are not going to give it the same crappy treatment xp 64 got.

what kinds of "things" will vista 64bit have that vista 32bit won't have?

my system is pretty good and it is 32bit. why would i buy a new processor while my mobo can go up to 4gb and i only use 2gb, besides more memory what else will i get with a 64bit processor??

If my knowledge of x64 is correct, you can write more detailed code for x64 than you can for 32-bit... (of course.. i could be completely mistaken....)

stopmenow said:
what kinds of "things" will vista 64bit have that vista 32bit won't have?

my system is pretty good and it is 32bit. why would i buy a new processor while my mobo can go up to 4gb and i only use 2gb, besides more memory what else will i get with a 64bit processor??

I cannot say for sure, as i have never used 64bit, but things run faster supposidly. Its like a 2 lane highway vs a 4 lane highway. More things can go down the pipe at the same time.

I'm gonna use 64 bit. In fact I'm test driving Vista 64 build 5308 now. I like it, and driver support is pretty good this early.

I thought that each version of Windows Vista had both 32 bit and 64 bit and if you had a 64 bit CPU it would ask you if you wanted to install 32 bit or 64 bit.

That and M$ is going to be pushing 64 bit apps, and drivers.

I can't remember where I read that, I'll go look.

64-Bit Grand Ultimate Platnium Edition +

Because I want the best / latest and greatest.... easpically since this OS is suppose to last over 5 years. It will be worth the 400$ or whatever its gonna cost

Back