• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What used processor should I buy?

ARom

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
234
Long story short, bought an 8800GT, paired with a Pentium D (945) processor I'm only getting 7000 3d (06') marks, and my games are running quite choppy sometimes.

I'm a student, don't have much money, I'd like to spend $30 on a used one if possible, but obviously, I may have to spend more.

What am I looking for?

A Socket 775 CPU that is better than my Pentium D processor.

Surprisingly, even the 2.5ghz Wolfdale processor ($84 Canadian + shipping) is out of my price range given my situation and I will only buy as a last resort.

I'm only on my desktop for 4 months a year (summer), so I'm looking for the bare minimum here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Processor: Intel Pentium D 945, Presler, Socket 775 LGA, 65nm, CPU stock @ 3.40ghz, 2 cores.
Motherboard: Intel D945GTP
3 GB RAM
Windows XP Professional SP3
Audigy 2 Soundblaster ZS :p
Asus 8800 GT

CPU-Z 1.50 report file
Processor(s)
Number of processors 1
Number of cores 2 per processor
Number of threads 2 per processor
Name Intel Pentium D 945
Code Name Presler
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA
Family/Model/Stepping F.6.5
Extended Family/Model F.6
Core Stepping D0
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 2400.1 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 12.0 x 200.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 800.0 MHz
Stock frequency 3400 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache (per processor) 2 x 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache (per processor) 2 x 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Chipset & Memory
Northbridge Intel i945G/GZ rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 3072 MBytes
Memory Frequency 266.7 MHz (3:4)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 16 clocks
System
System Manufacturer
System Name
System S/N
Mainboard Vendor Intel Corporation
Mainboard Model D945GTP
BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.
BIOS Version NT94510J.86A.4119.2009.0113.1807
BIOS Date 01/13/2009
Memory SPD
Module 1 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Melco
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Melco
Module 3 DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Crucial Technology
Software
Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c
 
Last edited:
What games ? (list your 2 favorites that run choppy).
What motherboard manuf and model number (possibility to OC and to determine alternate cpu compatibility) ?
How much ram do you have ?


Give us more info so we can help.

Rivatuner to OC the 8800GT just a bit (they usually will not take a lot but every little bit helps).
www.pricewatch.com to shop for used cpus (mainly USA but /shrug)
 
Processor: Intel Pentium D 945, Presler, Socket 775 LGA, 65nm, CPU stock @ 3.40ghz, 2 cores.
Motherboard: Intel D945GTP
3 GB RAM
Windows XP Professional SP3
Audigy 2 Soundblaster ZS
Asus 8800 GT

Call of Duty World at War & Crysis are running pretty choppy at times, even at moderate to low settings (cpu bottleneck). I'd like to buy Mass Effect as well :)

CPU-Z 1.50 report file
Processor(s)
Number of processors 1
Number of cores 2 per processor
Number of threads 2 per processor
Name Intel Pentium D 945
Code Name Presler
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA
Family/Model/Stepping F.6.5
Extended Family/Model F.6
Core Stepping D0
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 2400.1 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 12.0 x 200.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 800.0 MHz
Stock frequency 3400 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache (per processor) 2 x 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache (per processor) 2 x 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Chipset & Memory
Northbridge Intel i945G/GZ rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 3072 MBytes
Memory Frequency 266.7 MHz (3:4)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 16 clocks
System
System Manufacturer
System Name
System S/N
Mainboard Vendor Intel Corporation
Mainboard Model D945GTP
BIOS Vendor Intel Corp.
BIOS Version NT94510J.86A.4119.2009.0113.1807
BIOS Date 01/13/2009
Memory SPD
Module 1 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Melco
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Melco
Module 3 DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Crucial Technology
Software
Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
DirectX Version 9.0c
 
Module 1 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Melco
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Melco
Module 3 DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Crucial Technology

BAD ram mix detected...
 
Is it that serious? Should I take it out? Module 3 DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz)
 
Is it that serious? Should I take it out? Module 3 DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz)

All your RAM runs at 266Mhz when that stick is in the system.
I don't know if the offset is enough to sacrifce 1 GB of 3 GB RAM though.

But RAM always run at lowest common denominator.
 
RAM is not the cause for the low score.
You need a new CPU. Look in the Buy/Trade section and see if you can pick something up on the cheap.
 
with a $30.00 budget, its gonna be tough ...might be able to grab an E2180 or the like from the FS/FTforum...
 
According to Intel's website, your motherboard doesn't support any of the Core2 based CPUs. You pretty much cannot upgrade the CPU anymore (well, you could get a faster Pentium D, but that is rather pointless since the one you have is already one of the faster ones). You will have to settle with what you have right now unless you want to upgrade the motherboard as well.

Here is the list of supported processors:

http://pixel01.cps.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gtp/sb/CS-026628.htm
 
NO!!! argh,.... well, I'll probably have to stick with the gaming laptops in the future (which score better than my dam Pentium D with a bit worse GPU's) and or/ clear all of the processes and run at 1280*800/1080*1024 :(

Can I run my games without explorer? Like closing down all of the user processors and only leaving the system ones?

Thanks dude.
 
Last edited:
What do you guys recommend? (I'm using COD World @ War here as an example)

1024*768 with 4X AA and highest settings (runs quite well, looks like Xbox 360/PS3 type visuals)

1280*768, highest settings with no AA, gets choppy with A.I, gunfights etc...

1400*900 medium/high, no AA, gets choppy with A.I, gunfights etc...

So I'm thinking lower resolutions are more GPU dependent?
 
Last edited:
What do you guys recommend? (I'm using COD World @ War here as an example)

1024*768 with 4X AA and highest settings (runs quite well, looks like Xbox 360/PS3 type visuals)

1280*768, highest settings with no AA, gets choppy with A.I, gunfights etc...

1400*900 medium/high, no AA, gets choppy with A.I, gunfights etc...

So I'm thinking lower resolutions are more GPU dependent?

I would probably run 1024x768 with all the details, as long as it looks good and runs well.

Alternately, I would try 1280x768 and drop the detail down a bit and compare it with 1024x768 and see which looks better to me.
 
What do you guys recommend? (I'm using COD World @ War here as an example)

1024*768 with 4X AA and highest settings (runs quite well, looks like Xbox 360/PS3 type visuals)

1280*768, highest settings with no AA, gets choppy with A.I, gunfights etc...

1400*900 medium/high, no AA, gets choppy with A.I, gunfights etc...

So I'm thinking lower resolutions are more GPU dependent?

No, its the complete opposite. The higher resolution you go the more it depends on the video card. The Pentium D just cannot give a 8800 enough juice it seems
 
Yeah, it's strange, no matter what settings i put it on, FRAPS says ~80 fps but I get hickups while the counter remains steady at 60-90 fps.....

That's the worst kind of lag :(
 
According to Intel's website, your motherboard doesn't support any of the Core2 based CPUs. You pretty much cannot upgrade the CPU anymore (well, you could get a faster Pentium D, but that is rather pointless since the one you have is already one of the faster ones). You will have to settle with what you have right now unless you want to upgrade the motherboard as well.

Here is the list of supported processors:

http://pixel01.cps.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gtp/sb/CS-026628.htm

Dude, I think you'e wrong. That was updated January 2007.

Core 2 Duo's are supported by my Motherboard!: http://pixel01.cps.intel.com/products/motherboard/d945gtp/index.htm

Intel® Desktop Board D945GTP Features
With a PC built with Intel® Core™2 Duo or Intel® Core™2 Quad processors, and the Intel® Desktop Board, you can experience a more responsive and manageable environment of Microsoft Windows Vista* including a new visual sophistication of the Windows Aero* interface.

I think that makes sense since they're all Socket 775, no?
 
Last edited:
I don't see any Core 2 Duo's on that list......or anything above 800 Mhz FSB...
What about this?
Microsoft Vista* Premium Ready With a PC built with Intel® Core™2 Duo or Intel® Core™2 Quad processors, and the Intel® Desktop Board, you can experience a more responsive and manageable environment of Microsoft Windows Vista* including a new visual sophistication of the Windows Aero* interface.

is that just an ad for intel boards in general?
 
The other posters are correct. Your motherboard will not support c2d cpus's. You have no choice but to settle with what you have or get a cheap motherboard that supports c2d. I just do not see any way around it.

If it makes you feel any better, you get a higher 3dmark score than I get on my c2d rig. But that's cause my video card sucks and I do not do much gaming, but I do a little gaming.

Your score of 7000 3dmarks is not that bad.

keep tweaking the the video setting in your games, you should be able to find playable settings until you can afford another motherboard.
 
Last edited:
What about this?


is that just an ad for intel boards in general?

That statement is most likely a generic bullet point for their products. You should always check the compatibility/cpu support pages for actual information.

As for the "Updated: January 16, 2007," line, the reason why the update date is soo long ago is because there is no new information what would warrant an update/revision since then.

I believe the reason why some LGA775 motherboards do not support the Core2 processors is due to it not being able to supply a low enough voltage (Pentium4 based processors required a higher value stock). This format existed before Core2 came out so manufacturers probably weren't able to anticipate the specs of the next generation of Intel processors. I cannot elaborate on this because I don't know the full story (nor am I able to understand it).
 
Back
Top