What to expect from a power conditioner?

I bought a power conditioner today, from monster, sadly, but I just wanted to try it out. Of course the thing is probably a complete rip, but I have the full intensions of returning it.
I tried comparing having all my crap hooked up to their old power strips against isolating each item to the wall against hooking things up to this monster strip, but I noticed no differences. I still get a decent amount of hiss with 6 channels running on my receiver, I still get weird noises out of my computer when using USB devices and my audio input isn't any cleaner. I blamed this all on the device not being anymore than a power strip in disguise, but what can I actually expect from a power conditioner?

Power conditioners are for dirty and unsteady power coming out of the wall socket, an issue most don't have to deal with imho.

It won't clean up interference that begins in your computer tower, or HT receiver...unfortunately.

BTW, are you still using that little legacy cable that connects your cdrom to your soundcard directly? If the answer is yes, then remove it since windows XP and higher can pass digital audio right through the PCI bus, and that cable is notorious for causing all sorts of interference.

I thought these things were of most benefit with good mid to high end hi-fi audio kit. What sort of receivers and speakers and cabling are you using?

BTW, are you still using that little legacy cable that connects your cdrom to your soundcard directly?

That I am not, happily.

echn111 said:
I thought these things were of most benefit with good mid to high end hi-fi audio kit. What sort of receivers and speakers and cabling are you using?

I'm using a yamaha RX-V659 with (to be) X-LS encore fronts, insignias to fill in the other 4 channels, and a sub that we will ignore. Most of my media comes from my computer though I do use a 360 with it all as well.

It just seems like there's something I should be able to do. I don't have any ground loop issues luckily, but I know that my house doesn't have the best power in the world; thus my conclusion on it being a culprit.

Any other suggestions?

computer soundcard = meh

get decent HT class reciever with some dvd-audio.... and you'll see the hiss dissappear(for the most part)

If you get the hisses when the system is connected to your PC, perhaps it is indeed the sound card among other things. If you get hisses when your system is running but not connected then maybe the magnetic shielding isn't so good. Perhaps trying moving the PC away. Else, it could just be your receiver.

Back