• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

what to do...

pISSANt

Weaksauce
Joined
May 6, 2001
Messages
115
So I've been having some issues with my mobo and hd5870, and I'm not sure if it's the vcard or the motherboard, or the combination of the two. I had none of these issues with my 8800gt a couple years back (same cpu/mobo).

The problems I'm having are related to the graphics card driver not responding (typically after waking from sleep). I originally thought is had to do with my motherboard bios not supporting some feature that win64 required (can't remember what it was), but I switched to 32bit recently to see if the problem disappeared and it didn't help.

At this point I'm considering a couple different options:
1) ditch the hd5870 for the 8800gt to see if it helps, if so get a gtx460 or something
2) rma hd5870?
3) assume it's the gpu/mobo combo and get a newer mobo (wouldn't need anything else like memory, heatsink, cpu)
4) go for it and get an i5-760 or something (expensive though since I'd need cpu/mobo/ram)
5)?

What do you guys think? I almost don't want to upgrade everything since it seems like the 1156 socket will be obsolete soon, and the q6600 is still pretty capable, but I need this computer to work reliably....

:confused:
 
what is it or is it not doing? The issue with sleep mode is that it often does not do a full hardware reinitialization on wakeup so it is problematic.
 
Shortly after waking the computer up from sleep, the screen will freeze (mouse can still move), then the screen will go blank/black, a few seconds later the screen is back and I get a video card driver has stopped responding error message. I think the card just isn't getting "woken up" correctly. It does this maybe 1/4 to 1/10 of the time. Generally, if I make it past the first couple minutes, then it will be ok. I have no issues with gaming, or anything like that, the computer is otherwise pretty stable. Occasionally, I'll get a blue screen as well (same reason I think), or it just never comes out of blank screen state, and I have to do a hard reset.
 
Well, try the HD 5870 card in another PC to see if the sleep issues still persists. In addition, try out your old 8800GT in your current system. Do these both and you should be able to rule out a mobo or a GPU issue. Or even both.
 
I think I'll swap out the card for my 8800 this weekend and see how it goes. Honestly I'm almost wanting to ditch the 5870 for a gtx460 after all the driver related issues I've had over the life of the card. I seem to remember the 8800 just working, though it could be selective memory. I do know I rarely had to update the drivers. Performance wise the 5870 has been great though.
 
Well I'm now running the 8800gt, and so far so good, but it's only been a couple days so far. I'm only playing one game at the moment (risen) but I haven't noticed any difference in performance; of course risen doesn't like AA, so that isn't a factor.
 
Back
Top