What to do with this system??

N

NecessaryEvil

I'm going to get this stuff on Friday...any thoughts on what to do with it all?

Compaq Presario 5441 tower
AMD K6-2 475mhz
64mb(maybe more) SDR
8gb hdd
32x CD-ROM
56k Winmodem
no NIC (listed, but I think there is one since she has broadband)
Win98 (OS will be redone)

HP 5300C USB Scanner

HP 8200E USB CD-RW

I'm thinking of trying to put in a 128mb PC-66 stick (ECC as well)...and hoping it'll work...if so I might toss in a Creative Labs PCI Savage4 32mb card I have sitting in the closet and make it a CS box. (sorry, but the game is 5 fucking years old...I'm not going to waste a good system on a craptacular game. (and I was there from beta 2 to retail 1.2)

Any other thoughts?

any ideas what it'd be worth?

other than folding, I mean.

that's a given.

I mean an actual PURPOSE.

something to make it actually worth keeping around.

If it can handle it, I say you throw in some Emulators and use it as a little arcade machine.

Originally posted by NecessaryEvil

I mean an actual PURPOSE.

something to make it actually worth keeping around.

that's plenty purpose...but if you want a "real purpose" just run Linux on it and use it as the server comp for your home network (if you have one).

if things go well, I'll probably get things cleaned up, and toss it in the FS/FT or on ebay...get enough to get a videocard (GF3 or better) w/ DVI & VGA for the server I'm building...

but, it's always good to have a backup plan.

why do you need a good graphics card (gf3) for a server? Sometimes I wonder if most people know what a server is.\

And by a cs box do you mean a cs server or as a computer to play cs on only? I don't see how having the game installed makes the computer a waste becuase the game is old (bust constantly updated). But if you meant to serve games or to have so a second guy can jump in awesome.

Ohh and its cool to see another beta 2 guy.

Well, I need the server to have a DVI port for 1...the VGA port on that LCD will be taken by my main system. (I'll have it set up such that when gaming, I game on the DVI of system 1, and have the server running on the DVI of system 2.)

for 2, I never want a non-laptop system to be limited in its role... While it will be a server first & foremost, it'd be a shame to limit a P4 2.66 w/ 1gb DDR to being unable to play a game of BF42 in a pinch. That, and while at home, it may be pulling duty as a DVD player for my TV. And, the Shuttle I'm getting doesn't have TV-out.

And as for the CS system...I despise CS with a passion.

I view it as a virus that infects all LAN parties and prevents people from playing GOOD games. Tribes2, AVP2, UT2003, BF42, Call of Duty? Any other game that's newer and better? No. they want to play CS because they've been doing it for 4 years straight.

I gave up CS after playing it from Beta 2 through Retail 1.2 (the last one that allowed bunny hopping). After that, I realized "damn, I've been playing this game for a year. it was great in the betas, but now it sux0rz. I'm goign to go find a new game". Then I uninstalled CS from the system. Quit cold turkey.

so, if I -have- to play it, I'll keep it on a craptacular system, so as to quarantine it from the good stuff. ;)

And, I'd like to finish off with my LAN party motto: Fuck CS. Fuck it in its ear.

I doubt you'll get PC66 RAM to run in that system. If my memory serves me correctly, that system runs on a 95mhz FSB. I never understood a 95mhz FSB, but AMD did it with some of the K6-2s.

Back