• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What to do with spare Dell computer

barefootbilly

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
502
I got this computer from work as we recently upgraded:

2x256mb ram
18gb Maxtor hdd
x86 processor? :confused: It says "Intel Inside - Pentium III" (i know nothing when it comes to this)
on board sound and video
motherboard - ???

Dell L933r on the boxx

It has nothing but XP on it now, and it would be a good computef just for word processing for a kid or something, but that's not me. It's going to continue sitting here next to my rig until I can figure out what to do with it. That 18gb may just be big enough to store files that I won't need for a while or something. I have no clue. We still have one open port on our router so putting it on the network is possible I guess.

Any clues?
 
Fold on it I suppose or use it to host a UT2004 server

How is it that you're on this forum and don't know what a Pentium 3 is? :p Apple guy, I take it?
 
amd actually ;) but with the exception of this very post, all of my post have been questions.

-still not sure how folding works, i know what it is, just not how it works
-ut2004, don't play it.

If i new anything about servers, I'd go that route for the sake of the family and games. :)
 
Well, you can get a UT2004 server cd key for free from Atari or Epic or whoever puts it out. I think it's still Epic.

Folding is pretty simple. You just download it and have it run in the background. In the console you can enter whatever you want your user name to be and the team number (for instance, I use team number 150 for the Something Awful Goons.)


It really sounds like you don't need it to do anything. What speed is the P3 and what core does it have? Download CPU-Z to check this, of course.
 
Give it to a family member, use it as a backup gaming machine (install better videocard). Or use it to fold...
 
so it's a Pentium 3 933mhz with 512mb RAM and an 18gb hdd?

That's more than powerful enough to do anything other than (modern) gaming.
 
It is always nice having extra computers. I hate it when my main rig is down for whatever and I don't have a reserve.

I like having a box that is my media machine with all music and movies so I can still have entertainment whilst working on the primary machine.

Also, it would make a good firewall / router too, this way you can get rid of the software firewall on your main mahcine to make more cpu cycles available.
 
go into a busy section of the city and make an ass off youself by freaking out on it and throwing it into buildings and polls and shit
 
use it as a full-time folder

every proc helps (sure it will take you a few days for 1 WU, but hey, that 1 WU could be "the one") :D
 
Another vote for folding! Throw a serial-ata card and some big hard drives in there and it's suddenly a file server/folding box! Sweet!
 
You must Fold for the [H]orde.













Okay, you don't actually have to Fold for the [H]orde, but it would be a good use for the machine.

 
erm, door stop? a very bad bookmark? I'd ebay it (as people overpay for Dells on there) and use the extra $ to buy yourself something for your 1st line system...
 
Sell it to some idiot for like 1000 bucks who doesnt know what hes doing!
 
^^thought about that, but i'm not too familar with Linux at all.

For the time being I just ripped out the hard drive and put it in my case. Problem is that it's too loud and is going back to the Dell. :(

I'm not spending any great amount of time or energy with it, nor do I want to do folding, and I may just sell it I guess.
 
If you don't want to pay the power bill to fold on it, donate it to someone who will fold on it.
 
barefootbilly said:
um, how about no.

I'll probably sell it on ebay.
install folding on it before you give it to them ;)

Out of curiosity, how much do you want for it?
 
well i've scratched the idea of selling it, but I'd like to set it up as a server somehow.

EXCEPT I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE HOW! or what that entails. Any noobie website out there that could tell me how to do it with the home network?
 
Back
Top