• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What to do with older intel build?

RogueTrip

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Feb 22, 2003
Messages
2,881
Welp, the other night I built a Pentium 4 system of spare parts I had laying around. I don't want to fold with it and probably won't game much on it since I already have a current and retro build. Other than just having a backup computer around don't know what else I should do with it. I can't make it a HT setup cause I only have a 27" CRT SDTV with component which doesn't look that good unless someone else has ideas to make it look good?

System Specs:
Pentium 4 2.8ghz 1m 533mhz Prescott (dang thing overclocks to 3.2ghz on 1.08v!)
Nvidia 7800GT 256mb PCI-E 16x
4x512mb DDR400
120GB WD SE HDD
Windows XP Pro


I ordered a 3.2ghz Northwood w/HT off ebay for cheap, hopefully will show up soon.
 
My third gen "spares" go to a family members kid or small charity. Sounds like a good workable machine, a food bank, small church, legal aid, etc. would love the heck out of it and you could write it off your taxes. I would guess you could easily value it at $800+ for tax purposes. (dont forget the value of the software on it)

Never hurts to have some good karma in the bank.
 
I had the same thoughts as Bill. Last summer I rebuilt my grandparents' machine using my old 1.8GHz P4 setup. My parents just got my c2d setup. If you don't have someone to pass it on to, check with a local church.
 
Back
Top