• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What to do? Bedroom setup

wavewerx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
284
EPI TE-100's
SVS SBS-01's
KRK Rokit 8's
These are the speakers I currently have available to me though I do enjoy the journey of mixing / matching speakers / components to change my sound...

These speakers will be at my computer desk for my room - primarily for music, secondly for gaming, lastly for video - movies / tv shows / Youtube / Hulu. Even though I have a nice HT / HTPC setup in the living room, occasionally my friends and I will hangout in my room.

The options I'm looking at are as follows:

Buy a T-Amp - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380 - and drive any bookshelves that I want.

BUy a HK 3490 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00198F89A/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER - and drive any bookshelves I want.

Buy a Firewire card, reconnect my Presonus Firepod, and run my KRK Rokit 8's.

I'm apprehensive that the T-Amp won't be loud enough or give me enough bass presence.

The HK 3490 is the most expensive option but I've saved up for it and have done my due research . I'd be happy with it - I'd just like to see if I've missed any options, or if I need to give the T-Amp a shot.

Buying a firewire card and reconnecting my Firepod / Rokit 8's means I'll need my recording interface at my computer desk and I'd be stuck with only my Rokit 8's.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? Alternatives? Max budget is $300 - price of the HK 3490.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bump for update - I edited the thread instead of making a new one. I've got my head on straight now...
 
I'd go with hooking up the firepod and getting a higher power t-amp to drive your other speakers. This way you can run balanced on the rp8s, have a good mix of speakers for different types of music/movies, and it will be less than $150 for a firewire card and 100w t-amp.
 
Thanks for the suggestion and the link! I may order the T-Amp this afternoon. They look like real neat pieces and I've yet to experience one.

I noticed you've got some RP8's as well - How do you like them?
 
Thanks for the suggestion and the link! I may order the T-Amp this afternoon. They look like real neat pieces and I've yet to experience one.

I noticed you've got some RP8's as well - How do you like them?

Still diggin the RP8's.. wish I would have got the RP10s when they were about $299 though.. in my current living arrangement... I can't crank them up as much as I would want. I love all the different connections I get with using studio monitors...
 
Still diggin the RP8's.. wish I would have got the RP10s when they were about $299 though.. in my current living arrangement... I can't crank them up as much as I would want. I love all the different connections I get with using studio monitors...

I love my RP8's as well. I'm looking forward to reconnecting them - I'm just apprehensive about getting the sound that I want for this application from them. When I was using them before they were for my studio. They translated awesome for the things I recorded. I'm concerned that they may not have the bass I'm looking for when I set them up in my bedroom though.

I'm definitely picking up that TAmp though. I can't wait to hear it.
 
So my Dayton DTA-100a arrived yesterday and I was impressed by how small it is. Right now I'm running it through these speakers. I've always liked the way they sound but through this amp they sound really bass shy. The high end is crystal, maybe even too sterile for this application. I also noticed that at low volumes, until you get to about 9:00 on the dial, that there's a seriously noticeable uneven raising of the volume. I've got Win7 set at 25% and the DTA-100a right now set at 50% / 12:00 listening to thistrack as I write this up (for reference). Google says my experience isn't unique and that a lot of folks have noticed uneven balance at low volumes (but people are happy with the bass of this amp - I should mention I'm a bass player and like a bit more bass in my music). For those curious, my left speaker is caddy cornered touching the wall, my right speaker has a window a foot behind it, the closest wall to the right is about 4 feet away - both speakers are toed in to me. 1/8in line out from pc, 1/8in line in to DTA-100a.

I'm actually kind of unhappy with the product that I've received but I still have hopes for this family of amps. I'm going to swap speakers out in a little while and post back with what I find. I'll be swapping them out with SVS SBS-01's.

Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top