What the hell is wrong with Vista?

SuperCell

Limp Gawd
A little background here...

I built this PC about 6 months ago. Q6600 (2.4GHz), 4GB RAM, Vista 64-bit home premium.....it has always ran great, but it NEVER wants to start up correctly, even after proper shutdown procedures are used. The following seqeunce is what happens ever single time I start up the PC.

First I get a screen for the motherboard:

001.jpg

Then I get the POST:

002.jpg

Then it always goes to a screen claiming that windows has not shut down properly:

003-3.jpg

I will have to go through the above sequence sometimes 2 or 3 times before Windows finally loads.

Does anyway have any advise? This is getting very irritating!!!

Looks like you have some ACPI shutdown issue. When Vista shuts down it'll leave behind a "marker" that gets read on the next boot that says yes, we shut down correctly without issues or it'll say something didn't quite go correctly at some stage soo... trigger the unsuccessful shutdown.

I would blame a driver, as it's always the drivers but, it could be a lot of things. There's absolutely no way to troubleshoot this from here (meaning where I sit or where someone else sits when they read this), there's just not enough info to go on.

There are some startup and shutdown resolution pages online these days with tons of tips and tricks and resolutions to the problems a lot of people have. A Google search for "vista shutdown problems" usually turns up many of 'em...

When Vista shuts down it'll leave behind a "marker" that gets read on the next boot that says yes, we shut down correctly without issues or it'll say something didn't quite go correctly at some stage soo... trigger the unsuccessful shutdown.

For once I have to defend Vista... this kind of problem happens with XP also, and is usually caused (in my experience) by some corrupted or improperly installed files causing system crashes on exit. Usually something snaking its way into explorer (either explorer.exe or internet explorer, if the two can be separated anymore).

This page seemed useful: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Troubleshooting-Windows-Shutdown.html

Yeah, I was going to point the OP to many of the XP related shutdown pages as they're more mature and have more background information - Vista has just cracked being out for 1.5 years compared to what, over 7 for XP now. The info is still relevant to both, but again it typically turns out to be an ACPI related driver issue that ends up being the culprit, and sometimes it's even the specific power settings in the BIOS that conflict with the power settings in Windows that don't mesh well together.

And, as I said, it could be a lot of things... ;)

A quick solution might be to put in the Vista disc and do a startup repair...

Not a Vista issue. I've had plenty of whacko issues with Gigabytes boards though.

Try updating the BIOS on it ( I know..an often painfully slow process with GBs download sites).

Not a Vista issue. I've had plenty of whacko issues with Gigabytes boards though.

Try updating the BIOS on it ( I know..an often painfully slow process with GBs download sites).

How would repeated improper shutdowns be the fault of the bios?

Thats an issue with the OS probably exactly like joe average and wildfire have said.

Then I get the POST:

002.jpg

Since everyone's already covered the issue pretty well, I just have to point out that this is not POST. It's a hardware summary. POST happens before and during the time that you see the motherboard logo. :p

How would repeated improper shutdowns be the fault of the bios?

Thats an issue with the OS probably exactly like joe average and wildfire have said.

Hardware incompatibility with the OS/drivers, hardware incompatibility between the mobo and other hardware (such as RAM), hardware support for power management of Vista, quite a few things actually. BIOS upgrades have been known to solve compatibility problems.

There is a relationship between an OS, drivers, and BIOS.

I have Vista running on a few rigs, including a Gigabytes 965 DS3 board...had a few issues with it running Vista til I flashed the BIOS.

This appears to be a driver or operating system issue. The problem is occuring during the boot phase of the operating system load. This is occuring after POST as others have said.

Hardware incompatibility with the OS/drivers, hardware incompatibility between the mobo and other hardware (such as RAM), hardware support for power management of Vista, quite a few things actually. BIOS upgrades have been known to solve compatibility problems.

There is a relationship between an OS, drivers, and BIOS.

I have Vista running on a few rigs, including a Gigabytes 965 DS3 board...had a few issues with it running Vista til I flashed the BIOS.

Hardware incompatabilities would probably not cause the drive to be marked as improperly shutdown. Thats is almost certainly a driver issue.

You dont start with the least likely source when troubleshooting a problem and you damn sure dont just declare its not an OS issue based on a few screenshots and some vague information.

Also what issues are you talking about with the DS3? I have been running the GA-965P-DS3 (3.3) and vista since day one with the stock bios and my buddy has been running the same board except his is the rev. 1.1 and neither of us have had a single issue. Even googling "965p ds3 vista issue" shows no such issues (Just the average vista install issues or bad boards).

Hardware incompatabilities would probably not cause the drive to be marked as improperly shutdown. Thats is almost certainly a driver issue.

You dont start with the least likely source when troubleshooting a problem and you damn sure dont just declare its not an OS issue based on a few screenshots and some vague information.

Also what issues are you talking about with the DS3? I have been running the GA-965P-DS3 (3.3) and vista since day one with the stock bios and my buddy has been running the same board except his is the rev. 1.1 and neither of us have had a single issue. Even googling "965p ds3 vista issue" shows no such issues (Just the average vista install issues or bad boards).

I disagree about it not causing the dirty shutdown, I've seen similar issues over the years.

Least likely? Again, I'll disagree. BIOS flashes of motherboards often help issues. RAM incompatibility is a cause of a wide array of issues, and often BIOS flashes can help with RAM issues such as voltage and compatibility with higher density modules. They are usually free, so don't anything but a few minutes of the persons time.

It's a forum...most descriptions of issues are vague. And one of the beauties of a forum is someone can get a plethora of things to try, often one of those will resolve the issue. The BIOS flash made my DS3 settle down with Vista, running like a champ since that last install sometime over a year ago, my problem was also shutdown related...so thought I'd mention it to him.

It can be many things, but it is most likely a bug in the BIOS that handles the ACPI. Try upgrading the bios and updating all your drivers from the manufacture. Also, do you use your 1394 connections?

Yep, I've seen BIOS updates fix many things over the years.

To the OP, have you installed the latest drivers for everything on your system? Especially the motherboard's chipset drivers?

+1

I have had my DS3 v3.3 for a long time as well, no problems with the shipping BIOS either. I have been running the F12 version for quite a while now, this board is flawless, overclocks nicely, stable at 500fsb, etc.

Yay...2 people probably bought their DS3 boards after I did and had newer BIOS out of the box. Silly me for purchasing it like..the first week they hit Newegg with v1 and probably pre-F10 BIOS..it was so far back I can't remember.

Yes it's working fine with Vista since I flashed it. Had a funky shutdown issue that the flash fixed. Prior to that..the DS3 sat in a box for a looong time since running XP a long time before that. //shrugs. Running fine now, running overclocked, yada yada.

First thing to try:

Start up in safe mode. Shut down.
Does it shut down properly?

Yes. Start checking the drivers safe mode doesn't load. Update to latest versions.

No. There is a more basic problem. Check the forums at your Mobo manufacturer. Anybody else having the same problem with the same mobo?

I disagree about it not causing the dirty shutdown, I've seen similar issues over the years.

Least likely? Again, I'll disagree. BIOS flashes of motherboards often help issues. RAM incompatibility is a cause of a wide array of issues, and often BIOS flashes can help with RAM issues such as voltage and compatibility with higher density modules. They are usually free, so don't anything but a few minutes of the persons time.

It's a forum...most descriptions of issues are vague. And one of the beauties of a forum is someone can get a plethora of things to try, often one of those will resolve the issue. The BIOS flash made my DS3 settle down with Vista, running like a champ since that last install sometime over a year ago, my problem was also shutdown related...so thought I'd mention it to him.

Guys, listen to YeOlde -- he's right.

BIOS updates can help issues involving ACPI. Heck, even some BIOS updates are put out to address only ACPI issues. A simple BIOS flash could fix this guy's problem.

Yay...2 people probably bought their DS3 boards after I did and had newer BIOS out of the box. Silly me for purchasing it like..the first week they hit Newegg with v1 and probably pre-F10 BIOS..it was so far back I can't remember.

Yes it's working fine with Vista since I flashed it. Had a funky shutdown issue that the flash fixed. Prior to that..the DS3 sat in a box for a looong time since running XP a long time before that. //shrugs. Running fine now, running overclocked, yada yada.

Shame on you! You call yourself a SYSADMIN? Next time, ask everyone at this forum if it is OK to buy a motherboard. Heaven knows you should never try to upgrade the BIOS. You must use the stock BIOS. Never upgrade your BIOS even the tech support from the manufacture tells you. You must get a blessing from here! You know your action can cause so much flame wars! Next time, just wait it out.

Back