What the [H].... 2x1.5TB Samsung $160 shipped??

Ya, dead deal

Honestly Samsung drives suck.
Honestly nothing... BS, you have no proof to backup your threadcrap.

The Samsung F1 and F2 are among the best drives you can get, way better track record than the 7200.11 Seagates being sold all over the place. And it's fast as heck compared to other 5400rpm drives.

Ya, dead deal

The Samsung F1 and F2 are among the best drives you can get, way better track record than the 7200.11 Seagates being sold all over the place. And it's fast as heck compared to other 5400rpm drives.

QFT. Excellent drives.

I've had a great experience with every single Samsung drive I've ever owned to this date. Wish I could say that about my latest batch of Seagates.

Doubt it, that's how Newegg does all their specials that are actually worth buying now. They have a few to lure buyers in then jack the price up soon after.

Ya, dead deal

I ono. My 2 F1s were insanely terribad that produced a very noticeable constant low frequency droning.. resonating whrr whrr whrrrr that couldn't be cured with any amount of suspension. Hence my reason for being wary of Samsung stuff, tho if the F2s come down so low again I'd have no choice but to try them out.

sorry guys... i work for a very large company as a storage tech.

I see the performance of 7200 - 15000k drives in every single array type (raid 0 - raid 60) you can think of.

THERE IS NO WAY you could get me to run anything slower than a raid-0 w/ two 7200RPM drives in my personal rig... no freakin way.

I wouldn't even use those for space - if you are to unrar large files, the times would be horrendous. And even worse if you were transfering lots of small files.

not thread crapping, just throwing the old two pence in there.

Last edited:
Cept' I'll bet quite a few of us just use this for storing media files aka. pron. Sorry but not everything needs to be unrared 24/7 and needs to be constantly moved.

I see the performance of 7200 - 15000k drives in every single array type (raid 0 - raid 60) you can think of.

THERE IS NO WAY you could get me to run anything slower than a raid-0 w/ two 7200RPM drives in my personal rig... no freakin way.

I wouldn't even use those for space - if you are to unrar large files, the times would be horrendous. And even worse if you were transfering lots of small files.

For those looking to store large movie files, 5400rpm drives are more than enough, especially with these newer generation 5400rpm drives. The Ecogreens and WD Green drives have been well tested for this purpose, and come highly recommended.

Now using it as a boot drive, or a drive to store all of your games, now that's a different story altogether.

I could say the same thing of SSD's such as the Intel X25-M G2's vs. your little raid-0 mechanical drive setup ;). They would kick that to the curb then stomp on it while laughing maniacally ;).

The drives in this deal are good for storage ;).

Aren't people also forgetting the 3x500GB platters? This should make up for lost rpm, just like the 640GB Blue/Black drives?

Aren't people also forgetting the 3x500GB platters? This should make up for lost rpm, just like the 640GB Blue/Black drives?

it does in some aspects but not seek time.

No pricing error. mine shipped out today.

I'd actually prefer 5400rpm green drives for storage. Lower heat==lasts longer, and that's really the most important thing. Copying to the drive may be a little bit slower, but these are plenty fast enough to stream movies off.

Now that they're back in stock, I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger. How does the Seagate 5900rpm 1.5TB compare to this?

I got in on this deal but I've decided to keep only one. If someone wants to take one off my hands for what I paid plus the actual shipping and fees it's theirs. Save a little over the EGG! PM me.

got my order in yesterday and threw them in the server. No issues and it seems newegg has gotten a little better on drive shipments.

Define a little better? did they add more packing peanuts?

Mine arrived yesterday. They came in their plastic trays, then wrapped in 1-2 inches of bubble wrap and then put in a larger sized box with peanuts. I thought the packaging was very good.

The drives are already in my system!

same for mine but with paper filler instead of peanuts. Shipped out of TN

Mine arrived yesterday. They came in their plastic trays, then wrapped in 1-2 inches of bubble wrap and then put in a larger sized box with peanuts. I thought the packaging was very good.

The drives are already in my system!

Plastic trays?? Not just bags? Wow.... we'll see how mine come.

Everything from Newegg has had that paper filler lately, btw. Haven't seen peanuts in a while. I guess the paper is more biodegradable.

Haven't seen peanuts in a while. I guess the paper is more biodegradable.

Heh. Breakthroughs in packing peanuts have resulted in completely non-toxic and water-soluble peanuts. Even edible. :D

Although they have some negatives.

Heh. Breakthroughs in packing peanuts have resulted in completely non-toxic and water-soluble peanuts. Even edible. :D

Although they have some negatives.

you mean this stuff
its made from grain i guess
Puffy Stuff will disolve after the first rain, and is actually good for soil. It's so safe you can eat it!
it also smells like popcorn.

i dont think there are any negatives. HOW DOES IT BREAK DOWN?
Upon direct contact with water, the loosefill degrades to inert proteins which are quickly consumed by soil bacteria.

http://puffystufftn.com/index.html

WHAT IS PUFFY STUFF?
PUFFY STUFF is an all-natural packaging material. Unlike other plant based loosefill, PUFFY STUFF is completely biodegradable by ISO definition (100% consumed by bacteria.)

BENEFITS COMPARED TO CORN STARCH AND CONVENTIONAL LOOSEFILL:
100% Biodegradable
Zero petrochemicals
Unaffected by oil prices
Competitive cost
Easy disposal
Reusable

HOW DOES IT BREAK DOWN?
Upon direct contact with water, the loosefill degrades to inert proteins which are quickly consumed by soil bacteria.

IS IT ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE?
Absolutely...as safe as any grain.

IS IT HARMFUL TO WILDLIFE OR PETS?
No. Although not particularly tasty, PUFFY STUFF is even edible and digests easily. Try it!

DOES IT ATTRACT PESTS?

No. Processing removes all food value from the grain and, in turn, the attraction of mice and other pests.

DOES IT HAVE AN ODOR?

PUFFY STUFF has a faint smell similar to popcorn. This, however will not transfer to your shipment. PUFFY STUFF actually absorbs odors!

IS IT STATIC FREE?
Yes. By retaining a small amount of moisture, it conducts the static charge away resulting in no cling or damage to electrical and other sensitive devices.

CAN IT BE REUSED?
Absolutely.

WHERE IS IT DISPOSED?
If not reused, PUFFY STUFF can be put in a landfill or even hosed down in your garden as fertilizer.

WILL IT SHRINK AWAY LIKE CORN STARCH FOAM LOOSEFILL?
No. PUFFY STUFF is hydrophobic and is not subject to shrinking in humid conditions.

HOW DURABLE IS PUFFY STUFF?
The product has a high density for rugged durability. It will not shrink to allow product migration and damage during shipping.

Then why would they be making a big deal about switching to this more "eco friendly" paper stuff? Doesn't paper come from trees? It seems less eco-friendly than the easily renewable peanuts from grain fibers and such, AND less biodegradable.

Oh well. As long as my hard drives aren't damaged ...

Yes, paper comes from trees. Packaging paper is likely made from post-consumer waste. Peanuts are easier to handle in the warehouse, but are a pain in the ass for the recipient.

IS IT HARMFUL TO WILDLIFE OR PETS?
No. Although not particularly tasty, PUFFY STUFF is even edible and digests easily. Try it!

That comes off as a slighty dumb suggestion.

1) I'm sure it can't remain edible forever.
2) I'm sure it could be contaminated if used during shipping.
3) You know there's going to be some idiot who just thinks their packing material was puffy stuff, so gives it a taste test, only to find it's typically packing peanuts or whatever when they get a nice bellyache at minimum...

I understand what they mean; doesn't mean a darwin award isn't awaiting someone, though...

It can remain edible forever. It's edible because it's non-toxic, not because it has nutritional value. His post even mentioned that all nutritional value is removed so pests aren't attracted.

I'd actually prefer 5400rpm green drives for storage. Lower heat==lasts longer, and that's really the most important thing. Copying to the drive may be a little bit slower, but these are plenty fast enough to stream movies off.

False...the Google testing refuted this belief. While excessive heat might kill a drive, typical heat does not.

Back