What temperature is dangerous?

synergyID

n00b
I have an E6400. I usually idle at like 40-45 degrees. However I ran prime 95 for a couple of hours and I reached like 68 degrees (according to CoreTemp). I already reached the overclock I wanted (3.0 ghz @ 1.26 volts). So I am not going to push it any further. But should I remount my heatsink anyways? Like is the 68 under load going to hurt it ? I mean if it runs prime for 12 hours with no problems..... Your opinion would be appreciated...

Oh and I read somewhere that said that 63 was like the thermal maximum for the processor....

I wouldn't feel safe at 60C or above. I'm cutting it close, I'm at 58C full load, but that's with HotCPU running, during gaming I'm at 52-54C.

synergyID said:
Oh and I read somewhere that said that 63 was like the thermal maximum for the processor....

Here is what you should read (bottom of page, the pdf file) its the tech specs for the E600x series of processors from Intel.

http://www.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/313278.htm

Per chapter 5 assuming 100% load ( cpu disipating its full 65W) your temp should be around 60 C to be in line with Intels thermal guidelines. So you are a bit high.

As long as you enable the thermal monitioring in the bios the chip will throttle down if it gets too hot but I agree with DarkOneX,, you are running too hot per the spec and too hot for my personal taste as well.

Thats probably a guide for what the bios reads and not the actually core temps from within the cpu which will always be allot higher... ...around 65C is pretty normal for these cpu's so I would'nt worry about it but saying that 68C does seem far to hot for 3Ghz with reduced voltages .....BUT it is safe ..

I am pretty sure I put too much Arctic Silver on.... but my arctic silver also did not set all the way yet. So I dont know, I mean if it works with playing Oblivion for like 5 hours then I guess it will work.....I hope

Your Arctic silver will not cut off 8C no matter how long it sits. You either need to reapply your AS5 in thinner ammounts, lap your heatsink or be more conservative in your OC.

I feel sorry for all of you. *Is currently idling at 20something*

synergyID said:
I am pretty sure I put too much Arctic Silver on.... but my arctic silver also did not set all the way yet. So I dont know, I mean if it works with playing Oblivion for like 5 hours then I guess it will work.....I hope

if you followed the instructions exactly, and let it cure for 2 weeks, you might pick up 1c. if you put too much on, you hs will squeeze the excess out the sides. try not to do this with as5, as it is conductive and might get on something critical.
all this toenail biting over as5. i am sure there are guys here who remember the test at overclockers.com between as5, generic goop and toothpaste. there was only 1 or 2 degree spread, and i think the toothpaste won.(dont use it as it will dry up fairly quickly) this is not a legend. but i seem to have lost the link.

anyways my temp has gone down to 65 under load... so i dont think i should worry about it

1: Remove HSF
2: Clean HSF and CPU with at least 90% isopropyl alcohol
3: Use a grain of rice sized amount of AS5 in the center of the cpu.
4: Reseat HSF

That's it.

I lowered my X2 by 5˚C/9˚F because I was using too much AS5.

Check AS's instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
Scroll down to #9. Integrated Heat Spreader instructions.

I need to try to reseat b/c I'm getting similar temps with my Core 2 @ 3Ghz, as I was with my Pentium D at 3.9Ghz! 60C load - At least according to CoreTemp.

Though according to speed fan I'm quite bit cooler (56C load). Now if I had used CoreTemp on my Pentium D it might have showed a lot higher.

From looking at the IHS instructions, I think I put too much!

As far as I an concerned running at anything about the posted tech documents for safe voltage and heat is too much, those are there for a reason. I mean, from the corporate standpoint it is probably to avoid lawsuits, and there is probably a bit of leeway added in, but you never know if your CPU is the best of the best as far as steppings go. Sometimes it is better to just call it quits and play it safe, to avoid warranty issues should you actually fry your CPU.

dolphumous said:
Most people do...including myself :-\

Well, I came home & spent about an hour b/c I had to completely disassemble everything to take the NB heatsink off. Damn plastic one way snap in pins!!

I figured while I was reapplying AS5 to the CPU&HSF, I might as well take off the NB and replace the stock TIM. The stock stuff was hard (didn't seem to be a good material).

All that work and I don't think its going to be any better.

Before the AS5 on the CPU / heatsink looked like it was perfectly distributed thinly over the whole IHS, and not gobbed up at the edges. So I think I had it perfect before. Anyway, I reapplied it per the instructions with a very small 1/2 rice grain in the middle. We will see....

But so far the temps are about the same for both NB & CPU. Unless, its true what people say about AS5 having to cure/set a little for best results. If so then MAYBE temps will be better in a few days.

Orayn said:
I feel sorry for all of you. *Is currently idling at 20something*

You made a thread about this a few days ago and I responded but you never did. This is not possible on air cooling unless you are running your computer in an extremely cold room. And I mean extremely. You are using a program that is not reading your temps correctly.

I too heard that CoreTemp is innacurate. I think that if my system is stable then it doesnt matter what temp it runs at.

Back