what software do you use to perform backups

alphabanks

n00b
Guys what all backup products do you use to backup your file servers at home? I need to get more serious about backing up our data I use server 2012 on most of my boxes now however the problem with the native server 2012 backup is it's dog slow. I'm actually thinking about using the old version of ntbackup which will work on Windows 2012 as long as you copy over the correct files from an xp cd. Anyway I'm curious to knowing what products you all use I know there's Acronis and Symantec out there.

Xcopy commands seem to work for our business. We only have 50GB of data we backup. Monthly full backups take 2-3 hours. Daily incremental backups take 20 minutes.

Crashplan for offsite (cloud) and simply zfs-send/receive to another internal drive.

At home I use rsync for server to backup server. Simple works well and it's a set it and forget it kind of thing.

Acronis True Image Home onto a 3TB external HDD, with scheduled weekly full images and incremental daily backups.

For my father in law, I've created a small robocopy script he can just launch by right-clicking and "run as administrator" once he has attached his 2.5" external disk.

On my servers, I backup using rsync in a shell script (Linux).

I use a simple Robocopy script to sync my Windows 2008 home server to a NAS.

Cobian. First free domestic/small business backup software I found that would work over a network so I stuck with it.

Works a treat.

For whole image copies I use Minitool Partition Manager.

Crashplan for me.

For free you can use their software for performing internal backups across disks or backups between machines across LAN. You can even use it for free for remote backup across the internet to another server you or a friend controls.

Then of course they have their cloud backups as well which runs $47.5 for a year for unlimited space these days.

Their backup software is pretty robust and feature filled. They support full binary deduplication, compression on the transfer, compression on the backup. Encryption on the transfer, encryption on the backup with custom user-created private key support. Versioning and frequency control and even backup in-use files via VSS.

Xcopy commands seem to work for our business. We only have 50GB of data we backup. Monthly full backups take 2-3 hours. Daily incremental backups take 20 minutes.

can u tell me what commands u use, with examples

thanks in advance

Robocopy is pretty cool but there is no verification /v available and it skips open/locked files.

From what I understand Xcopy has been depreciated in favour of Robocopy. I know there is rsync with cygwin but it butchers file permissions on ntfs.

Seriously there must be something better that is low resource use and reliable, like these command line programs.

Last edited:
Crashplan proe. I like everything about it except for the absolutely absurd function that "adopting" a computer deletes all of it's backups. I've lost 2 machines backups by forgetting the adoption option deletes everything without warning...

SyncToy for Windows.
Copies individual files to local or network drives, and only copies what was changed.
Can have it run automatically if you add an entry in Task Scheduler, as well.

For whole hard drives... CloneZilla has been good for me so far.

Crashplan proe. I like everything about it except for the absolutely absurd function that "adopting" a computer deletes all of it's backups. I've lost 2 machines backups by forgetting the adoption option deletes everything without warning...

That's strange. On normal CrashPlan+ adopting a computer does not delete anything. I actually moved from a Linux file server to a Windows file server and adopted my 6TB of backups. Even though the folder structure changed, CrashPlan+ had no problem scanning through my files on the Windows server and remapping their locations which took about a day. I didn't lose anything and didn't have to backup a single MB after changing servers and adopting the new server.

Cobian. First free domestic/small business backup software I found that would work over a network so I stuck with it.

Works a treat.

For whole image copies I use Minitool Partition Manager.
Seconding Cobian.

CrashPlan for user data with every computer going to my Synology NAS and online. The NAS also goes online, but only for the NAS data, as CrashPlan ignores other users backups when going online.

I use Windows Backup on my PC's to do a full disk level backup of my primary storage (SSD) to a mechanical disk that is internal so I have a quick and easy way to restore the entire OS, then I do the incremental restore off CrashPlan from the NAS.

Crashplan all the way.

I backup to their cloud for my stuff, and have clients and family backing up to me via ProE.

What version are you on? That is not how it works with me on ProE. Adopting makes it looks like everything is deleted (it goes back to 0%), but in reality it will resync and go back to 100% fairly quickly (depending on data set size) as it just verifys the files.

Just make sure you do not deselect any files, that deletes as it clearly warns in the interface.

Back