What software do you use for mp3s?

kaluminati

Gawd
Probably been done many times before, but doesn't hurt to do it again?

What do you use? Foobar? Winamp?

I'm currently using foobar but was wondering if someone found a better player sound for the x-fi which is what I have. I doubt foobar can be dethroned though.

itunes. i just wish opening up itunes took less than 10 seconds :(

I use the program foobar http://www.foobar2000.org/

What I really like about this program:

1. Starts immediately.
2. Consumes very little system resources, has small footprint.
3. Almost infintely configurable.
4. Logical layout etc.

^ what he said. :)

(resized to 800x600 from 1024x768)
foo.jpg

Well, to be fair, Foobar does *not* start instantly if you have an enormous database to bring up....but, yeah, Foobar is my preference, as well.

dderidex said:
Well, to be fair, Foobar does *not* start instantly if you have an enormous database to bring up....but, yeah, Foobar is my preference, as well.

Anyone else listen to electronica/EDM type music and have thousands of DJ mixes. Databases are pretty useless to me because most of my music isn't tagged.

kaluminati said:
Anyone else listen to electronica/EDM type music and have thousands of DJ mixes. Databases are pretty useless to me because most of my music isn't tagged.

Seriously?

Yikes! I can't imagine a world without everything tagged to hell and back again... *shudders*

But, hey, with no database, then Foobar opens up pretty well instantly!

I've noticed that Directsound uses more cpu and memory than waveout for foobar, so you can save yourself some more resources since they sound identical.

serbiaNem said:
I've noticed that Directsound uses more cpu and memory than waveout for foobar, so you can save yourself some more resources since they sound identical.

I use kernal streaming, basically so I keep my music volume the same as my system volume, then adjust things like Teamspeak, WoW with wave.

kaluminati said:
I like listening to electronica etc (trance etc.) and i just put it all in one playlist and select 'random' mode.

how do you like to listen to your music? ie just shove it all in a playlist? or listen to just a few albums at a time?

Back on topic: I like foobar a lot because it very fast and a responds fast; Winamp isnt bad, but foobar is faster and consumes less resources. my friend who uses 0.9 beta
(I use 0.8.3) says it uses even less memory than 0.8.3

biohazard_nz said:
I like listening to electronica etc (trance etc.) and i just put it all in one playlist and select 'random' mode.

how do you like to listen to your music? ie just shove it all in a playlist? or listen to just a few albums at a time?

Back on topic: I like foobar a lot because it very fast and a responds fast; Winamp isnt bad, but foobar is faster and consumes less resources. my friend who uses 0.9 beta
(I use 0.8.3) says it uses even less memory than 0.8.3

I just have links up to my varios EDM folders, ie Trance, House, Breaks etc. and just go to a mix/album and drag into Foobar.,

kaluminati said:
I just have links up to my varios EDM folders, ie Trance, House, Breaks etc. and just go to a mix/album and drag into Foobar.,

Try the 'Album List' component (foo_uie_albumart.dll). I have mine set to view by 'directory structure' and it works well for me. (see the picture i posted)

biohazard_nz said:

foo.jpg

How do you get the windows combined like that? Basically how do I get mine to look like yours. I'm using the album component now with dir listing, thanks =)

I used to be a iTunes user until I tried out Foobar :D

The only time I use iTunes is to organize music. Does anyone know any programs out there that can automatically fill in tags via a online database search? Also the ability to arrange files into folders by album would be great also :) I'm not really digging the iTunes artist folder arrangement.

kaluminati said:

I do

I used foobar for a while, and I really liked it. I'm currently using iTunes though. It works easiest with my iPod and my Airport Express. Also, I can listen to everyone in my dorm's shared music. And the built in podcast management is cool.
But if not for the Airport Express, I'd probably be using foobar all the time. Maybe I should write a plugin for foobar to work with it.

Raudulfr said:
Can you give me your foobar config please? Thanks :)
I have a couple different ones that I use. A person on another forum lets us dl theirs.Since I can't program for S**t.

Winamp. Don't see any compelling reasons to change. I personally just dump 30GB of mp3s into the playlist and shuffle it, winamp starts as fast as i care for, i don't think i'm ever pressed for time when a song needs to be played (if a song ever "needs" to be played in the name of "time").

Recently switched to Mediamonkey. There's not too much of a difference in SQ between players anyhow, and MM provides some great options.

kaluminati said:
How do you get the windows combined like that? Basically how do I get mine to look like yours. I'm using the album component now with dir listing, thanks =)

OK a few people wanted to know what i did to foobar2000:

plugins:
foo_uie_tabs
foo_history
foo_msn
foo_playcount.dll
foo_uie_albumart
foo_uie_albumlist
foo_uie_volume
and foo_ui_columns_012_final.rar (new Columns UI)

and azrael.fcs formatting string (makes it look how it does)
format.jpg

read around here for infomation of foobar2000 http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=28

also see A complete guide to Foobar 2000 - TechSpot

biohazard_nz said:
OK a few people wanted to know what i did to foobar2000:

plugins:
foo_uie_tabs
foo_history
foo_msn
foo_playcount.dll
foo_uie_albumart
foo_uie_albumlist
foo_uie_volume
and foo_ui_columns_012_final.rar (new Columns UI)

and azrael.fcs formatting string (makes it look how it does)
format.jpg

read around here for infomation of foobar2000 http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=28

also see A complete guide to Foobar 2000 - TechSpot

Awesome man.

Couple questions... where can I get that foo_uie_albumlist? I've been searching for it but can't seem to find it.

Also why is it that when I scan my database I get spammed with foo_input_std: Reference file does not exist?

kaluminati said:
I'm currently using foobar but was wondering if someone found a better player sound for the x-fi which is what I have. I doubt foobar can be dethroned though.
There's more to the story than just what player and card you're using.... I doubt most people could really ABX players. I think the bigger question is how and what software is used to rip and encode the mp3 files in the first place. I was in another thread last week regarding this and was surprised to find how many people have no idea (or care) to make decent encodings, even though the mp3 format has been widely used for over 10 years now. Specifically, I was amazed how many people were still using cbr encoding, and how many people thought 320 cbr was 'the best' possible mp3. And that was out of people who even knew what that was.

320 cbr is technically the best possible. But depending on what is used to encode it can make a difference. And not to mention that vbr on lame can sound better than cbr on other apps.

serbiaNem said:
And not to mention that vbr on lame can sound better than cbr on other apps.
That's what I'm talking about. Additionally, the -alt-presets for lame configure quality settings that cannot be set any other way.

biohazard_nz said:

foo.jpg

How did you format your playlist while using the column UI? I can't seem to get the visual format I set under the Default User Interface to transfer over while using the column UI.

makes me sound n00bish, but i really like itunes, the interface is really nice looking, and the search works great and it makes integration with my ipod really easy. just plug it in and it autoupdates all my music for me. good stuff if you ask me :)

itunes.JPG

Back