What should I upgrade my server to??

brom42

2[H]4U
Right now I have the server listed down in my Sig. I want to convert it over to a SFF PC, because it would just work out much better for me. I want to keep most of the components in it. I have 2 "upgrade" routes I can take. I can either reuse the Socket 478 2.4ghz P4 (800mhz fsb HT) in my current server or a socket 939 Venice core 3500+ I have left over from my upgrade to an Athlon X2 in my main machine. Now I know the 3500+ in much faster than the 2.4; but the 2.4 more than meets my needs.

My requirements are:
On board Raid 1 capabilities
Gigabit Lan
Very stable
Low noise
The P4 is a Northwood and the 3500+ is a Venice, so both run really cool
Onboard graphics preferred, but not required.

Here are the pros and cons I have come up with so far:
Intel Pros
More choices
Cheaper
Intel Chipsets
Hypertheading

Intel Cons
Slower
Obsolete Socket

AMD Pros
Faster
Future upgrades (X2?)
nForce4

AMD Cons
Fewer options
More Expensive

Now I am going to repeat so everyone is clear. The 2.4ghz P4 is quite a bit faster than I need and the 3500+ is overkill for my needs. I just want to get the SFF that has the best fits my requirements (ie nicest chipset, best onboard raid, etc) Right now the P4 is winning out by a long shot, because that path will put money in my pocket. Ebaying the Abit motherboard and 3500+ will cover the cost of the barebones socket 478 SFF and leave me some money in my pocket if I choose one of the cheaper P4 options.

I am a noob when it comes to dealing with SFF, so I want some input. I am purposely leaving this rather open, because I want your opinions first before I narrow anything down. So, if you had to choose, which way would you go and what brands/models would you buy? BTW, I love links. hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

Back