what should i do? i got vista :(

fatryan

[H]ard|Gawd
so i got a new computer that came with vista. its cool and all, but there are like NO programs that work on it! none of the burning programs i had on xp work on vista. and now i supposedly need a new ms office! why is microsoft so fvcking gay!?!?!?

my dad said to install xp too, but then if i want to use an xp program and a vista program at the same time, i cant right? whats everyone doing to fix these problems?

For burning, I use Nero and ImgBurn, both of which work fine on Vista. Office 2003 should also work fine, you do not need 2007.

What version of Office do you have? I have used both 2003 and 2007 on it and both work fine. I've also used nearly all Adobe/Macromedia products without a hitch. I am using Nero 7 for my burning software. No problems here.

Yes, you can dual boot Vista and XP. You'll probably want to load XP first and then Vista because of the bootloader.

Well I use vista everyday never had a problem only one program i used or have ever used thus' far don't work. that was my trend micro anti-virus 11.

It would probably help to know what SW and versions you are currently using. If someone has Vista and the SW you currently have, at least you could have someone verify the problem.

If your SW goes back too many versions, it might simply be time to upgrade.

so i got a new computer that came with vista. its cool and all, but there are like NO programs that work on it! none of the burning programs i had on xp work on vista. and now i supposedly need a new ms office! why is microsoft so fvcking gay!?!?!?

my dad said to install xp too, but then if i want to use an xp program and a vista program at the same time, i cant right? whats everyone doing to fix these problems?

Don't know about the needing a new MS Office version. I've used OfficeXP and 2007 on Vista without a problem. Other people have installed 2000 and 2003 without problems.

Microsoft is neither gay nor straight as it is a corporation and not a person and therefore has no sexual preference or orientation.

XP programs also run just fine on Vista provided that they aren't too old (Nero 6 for example). You may run into some UAC prompts, but there easy to take care of if you look through the forum on how to do it.

whats everyone doing to fix these problems?
We'd love to help, but you decided to put your effort into bashing Microsoft, rather than give us something useful to work with.

There are several burning programs that work fine in Vista, and several revisions back of Microsoft Office work as well.

its cool and all, but there are like NO programs that work on it!
Yes there are. I, like many others, am doing EVERYTHING under Vista which I used to do under XP!

none of the burning programs i had on xp work on vista. and now i supposedly need a new ms office!
I'm sure you mean that the old version of a burning program you have is incompatible. Get something newer and better! Also, Office 2003 is fine, and so is Office XP. If you have an earlier version you might strike a bit of strife, but then it'd also be time to consider upgrading that anyway, wouldn't it? OpenOffice is fine if your older version of MS Office is incompatible.

why is microsoft so fvcking gay!?!?!?

No! UR!!!!!!

Seriously, if you start trying to work out how to actually USE your PC rather than whinging and whining about it, you'll find that you can do anything you want in Windows Vista. If you need to replace some of that old software you've been clinging to then sobeit. There are likely quite good freebie alternatives available, even, if you look!

There'll be the rare circumstance that you'll need to use an incompatible program. You can run XP as a dual-boot for that situation, and simply reboot into XP on the rare oiccasion you need to use it.

Run XP in a VM on top of Vista. or vice versa...which ever works better. VMware among others have free products you can use.

I've yet to see any program that is "Vista only" so I guess I'm just missing something, as both OSes run the same software. The only thing so far that is Vista only that I'm aware of is DX10 support, soooo...

I'm guessing that 32 bit and 64 bit versions aren't the culprits here so I'm really baffled about why the OP is having issues at all.

I've yet to see any program that is "Vista only" so I guess I'm just missing something, as both OSes run the same software. The only thing so far that is Vista only that I'm aware of is DX10 support, soooo...

I'm guessing that 32 bit and 64 bit versions aren't the culprits here so I'm really baffled about why the OP is having issues at all.

Probaby because he tried to use Easy CD creator 5 or Nero 6 and it wouldn't work. So he assumed ALL programs were like this. But if memory serves (which it usually doesn't :p ) Easy CD Creator 4 also refused to install on XP back in 2001 due an incompatibility.

(BTW Halo 2 and Shadowrun are Vista only titles, although they've been cracked to run on XP. Which lead many to think DX10 had been cracked to run on XP. But that is another topic.)

Well yeah, but I didn't see mention of games so that's where the DX10 thing comes in - and yes I know those games are coded to not install on XP regardless (that's what the you-know-what does) and DX10 isn't the primary reason, but even so. Bleh...

Easy CD Creator... in all my years I don't think I've ever heard of a more fucked up misnomer of a name: there's nothing easy about it or fixing all the crap it typically causes when someone installs it on their machine. It's the AOL of burning software, and that's saying a lot. :D

Why must you troll? Office 00', 03', 07' work just fine but if you try to use 97' you got a problem. Also try using the burning software on Vista.

God I am sick and tired of people bashing MS just b/c one program will not work on their PC.

Why must you troll? Office 00', 03', 07' work just fine but if you try to use 97' you got a problem. Also try using the burning software on Vista.

God I am sick and tired of people bashing MS just b/c one program will not work on their PC.

Vista doesn't have any image burning tools. It has file copying and DVD authoring (weak as it is), but no ability to burn an iso or bin/cue to a disc that would end up in a usuable form.

Why does everyone keep forgetting Office XP in their lists of Offices that work in Vista? :D

Vista doesn't have any image burning tools. It has file copying and DVD authoring (weak as it is), but no ability to burn an iso or bin/cue to a disc that would end up in a usuable form.

Why does everyone keep forgetting Office XP in their lists of Offices that work in Vista? :D

I was just working on what he said. For all I know he just wants to copy a file to disk.

Yeah, I did forget Office XP. ;)

Disk copying and ISO burning are the only tools missing from Vista's burning repertoire. It's quite capable of creating audio CDs from playlists, as well as DVD authoring.

And I didn't forget Office XP ;)

:)

hmm.

It seems the OP was more interested in trashing Vista then getting an answer. Enough questions and suggestions have been made for the OP to respond to. Where did he go?

Must be a tactic of a typical troll: snipe and run.

Someone mentioned running a VM for XP. That works like a champ. Virtual PC 2007 works well enough, and its completely free.

Might I suggest OpenOffice? I dunno if it works for Vista or not (I didn't try it out when Vista was on my machine), but I'd guess it would. Plus, it's FREE! :D

For burning, I use Nero and ImgBurn, both of which work fine on Vista. Office 2003 should also work fine, you do not need 2007.

Ditto. I've actually yet to have a problem with software not working. The only one I did have problems with was WinRAR back a while ago, but they fixed it since then.

Back