What router functions require heavy CPU usage?

EnthusiastXYZ

Limp Gawd
Routers are becoming more powerful each with their own onboard CPU's, RAM, etc.

Primary inquiry:
What router functions benefit from powerful onboard processing components? I know encryption is one such function because installing SSL certificate (for login) on an old DD-WRT router made Web GUI navigation significantly slower and increased CPU usage. What about VLAN and other isolation functions?

Secondary inquiry:
Does it take more processing power for a router to drop/reject an outbound/inbound/forwarded packet (due to established NAT port rules) or to process it?

Last edited:
Router? Firewall? Which model? Many designs have ASIC's or hardware to process packets so it all depends. Generally management is in software and sometimes routing protocol calculations. Logging. It all depends.

Assuming by router you're referring to firewall, in general the most intensive processes are encryption related and generally related to CPU, ram and storage are used very little:

• IPS/IDS function (CPU)
  • Logging (CPU, some storage)
  • S2S/VPN Access (CPU) ~ however this is generally most intensive on the client side for users accessing.
  • Application/packet inspection and filtering (CPU)
Most standard functions such as rule processing, drop/reject and inbound/outbound rules are not very resource intensive unless you have hundreds/thousands of them including the VLAN and standard traffic routing.

Routers are becoming more powerful each with their own onboard CPU's, RAM, etc.

Primary inquiry:
What router functions benefit from powerful onboard processing components? I know encryption is one such function because installing SSL certificate (for login) on an old DD-WRT router made Web GUI navigation significantly slower and increased CPU usage. What about VLAN and other isolation functions?

Secondary inquiry:
Does it take more processing power for a router to drop/reject an outbound/inbound/forwarded packet (due to established NAT port rules) or to process it?

1.I'm going to assume that by firewall you mean a modern security appliance here.

Accessing the interface over SSL isn't something I would consider a challenge, that sounds a specific issue to an old DD-WRT router.

Things that can be intensive for firewall / security appliances:

VPN
Web Content Filtering
IPS Intrusion Prevention
Inline Malware Scanning
Any other advanced security / inspection/ analytics / SD-WAN etc

Generally the latter ones are the most significant

It's also worth mentioning that most 'routers' route between VLANs less efficiently than a Level 3 switch which will tend to do it at wire-speed due to ASIC use. Something to consider.

2. In normal scenarios, no. General firewall rules are normally the least intensive thing a 'firewall' has to do all day. If traffic reaches abnormal levels this can cause problems though. E.g. DDoS.

It's a good rule of thumb to determine what rules you need / would like and that will generally drive your hardware requirements (e.g. more exposed surface is going to require more monitoring; also, more complex IPS rules are going to require more cycles) -- this is based upon what services you want externally accessible. A simple block all externally-initiated traffic is easy-peasy for hardware.

I am going with something more robust (and admittedly, it's absolute overkill to a ridiculous degree) becuase I want to finely tune suricata, run DPI/proxies/dns blocking/etc, aes256-gcm remote access, and learn other level 3 services. As dave mentioned above, I am also a firm believer in a one in and one out design for my edge devices; switches with dedicated ASICs will give you much better performance for VLANs/etc.

Back