What radiators for this setup ???

phinix

Gawd
I'm planning to build nice setup and trying to calculate how many and what size of radiators I'm going to install.
Setup is OC'ed e8400@4GHz and two OC'ed GTX280 in SLI.
I wanted to use two 240 Swiftech radiators for this setup, but it may be not enough, right? One more thing - I can use 240 size radiators only, no space for 3x120 rads. SO should I add third 240 radiator or one 120 rad would be ok?
Second thing is the pump - is DDC 18W pump enought for this loop? Or should I build two loops? Which setup would be better?:

- one DDC Laing 10W pump + one 240 Swiftech radiator for CPU
- one DDC Laing 10W pump + one 240 Swiftech radiator + one 120 Swiftech radiator (or that be second 240 rad???)

???

Fans: I would liket o use some low speed, silent fans, Already have Noctuas P12s on one 240 rad and these are perfect, but too expensive so would use something like Yate Loons 12SL. Or can you reccomend some better silent fans (cheaper than Noctuas)?

GTX 280's in SLI + a DDC on one 240 is sort of pushing it without some kick arse fans. Whether you get great performance with all of this in a single loop is going to depend on your CPU block to some degree. If I was going to do a loop with your HW I'd run a single loop with the 240's plumbed in sequence, all Noc's (perhaps push/pull), with a high flow configuration.

Dual loops would work, but I'd use fans that would REALLY blow the GTX 280 SLI loop, which means noisy unfortunately.

Single loop. True independent dual loops are a pita

Fans: I would like to use some low speed, silent fans,

That kinda makes 2 x 240 a must and I strongly suggest you get at least medium speed fans and put them on a controller (Vantech Fanmate 2s are dirt cheap and little effort needed to mod them into the case so they can be conviently adjusted or go with a bay controller, or a simple switch can be wired up to switch them from 7V to 12V operation. /shrug) on the other rad so you can turn them up when gaming to mitigate the video card heat load if needed. Keep in mind you can always turn down a high speed fan to reduce noise but you cannot turn up a low speed fan to get rid of heat.

Get sleeve bearing fans.

With 2 x 240 I suggest a single Lang D5 - pick whatever variant you like but you need a manly pump.

Low restriction block, no jets.

I got reply on other forum that I could get away with PA120.1 for SLI and secodn 120.1 for CPU. Is that right?

I consider Feser 240 radiator for all CPU+GPUs in SLI.. would that work?
Its very thick and guuge rad...

"Get away with...?" IMO, that's not the attitude to take with water cooling. If your temps are going to be around what you'd get with air then why bother? A single 120 for SLI (full cover blocks?) is going to run very warm, close to runaway, without some high powered fans.

Also phin, understand that the same equation is going to be true no matter what: smaller rads require more powerful (better designed) fans to approach the efficiency of a larger rad with less powerful fans.

what about that Feser - 240 thick rad with Noctuas P12 and one Swiftech 120.1 rad for CPU?

I just swapped from an MCR-220 to the Feser X-changer 240 (GTX120 radiator was pre-existing) on my machine in my sig. The Feser radiators are capable of handling quite a heat dump in a single loop.

From a complexity stance, single loop with a D5 Vario pump, two Feser X-Changer 240's with Yate Loons for the radiator fans should keep that under control.

What about this single loop:

CPU block (Apogee GTZ) -> Swiftech 120.1 rad -> GTX280 (Swiftech MCW60) -> GTX280 (Swiftech MCW60) -> Feser 240 rad -> res -> pump (DDC 18W)

???

Back