• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What Printers Are You Using

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
12,372
I'm trying to find a good printer under $100 that I can use at school, but one that can scan too. I don't think I'd need a copier, but I doubt anyone makes only a printer/scanner.

I've heard and read good things about Epson, but their CX5400 is around $130. I'd just like to know what printers you guys are using and/or what you'd recommend.
 
I'm using a laser printer, Brother HL-1440. Nothing like a laser to make the teacher happy. No ink on the hand :D

You'll be hard pressed to get a printer/scanner combo for under $100, but you can probably swing a printer and scanner for $100, just gotta look around.
 
I have an HP 882c and a HP PS1200C. Just get an HP they are feggin bombproof, and ridiculously cheap lately. Also check and see if your roommate is bringing a printer, u could always share with him over the network.
 
I'm an Epson whore personally for inkjets. HP all the way for laser.

I have the CX6400. Great machine. The 5400 has same print quality as the 6400. Only thing different is the media card reader in the 6400.

buy.com has the 5400 for $130 plus a $20 rebate to boot. $110 not too shabby.

Some people around here don't like that e-tailer, but they've never done me wrong.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Epson_Stylus_CX5400/q/loc/214/10354653.html

Additional benefit with the Epson's is the abundance of cheap ink easily found on Ebay. Always works well for me. I can get 4 black and 4 of each color cartridge for $40 versus $25 per black and $13 per color in retail stores.
 
I have a Lexmark All-in-One. I think I paid about $150 for it, but that was about a year ago, so it might be even less now.

*checks*

Circuit City has Lexmark and HP all-in-ones for $99. Best Buy has them for $95. Neither is necessarily my top choice of retailer, but for a printer, it's nice to just walk into a store and get one.


And by the way, once you've put a printer and scanner together, that IS a copier. You're not going to find a printer/scanner that doesn't copy.
 
I'm using the Epson RX500. It's a step above the CX6400. I really like it so far. The quality rocks. Only think is mine feeds the paper a little crooked at times.
 
Dont get a HP Deskjet 3420. Damn thing has broke on me 4 times already in the past year. There is a litle thin plastic piece that holds the cartridge tray on the belt, and it is constantly breaking. I just superglue it back on, but its getting annoying.
 
My HP Deskjet 930C's around 4 years old and still kicking. It was one of the few mainstream high performance printers of its time with a full size paper tray that folds up. Only problems I had with it were quite a few paper jams from time to time, and the printer would feed up more than one piece of paper at a time...
 
I got an HP PSC2110. Rock solid and prints and scans with real good quality.

DO NOT BUY A LEXMARK PRINTER!
Lexmark printers have a high ink usage cost. You will pay alot more over the lifetime of the printer.
 
Im using a HP PSC series, not exactly what you are looking for because it has a build in copier/scanner. I have had a lot of luck with HP so I would recommend them. I have had a Lexmark printer before which was decent but I always had problems with the cartridges fading out prematurely.
 
nighthawk said:
I have had a Lexmark printer before which was decent but I always had problems with the cartridges fading out prematurely.

That isn't premature...that's by design.
 
Back
Top