What Mouse and Keyboard Are You Using Right Now?

Nice! What do you plan to do with the Navys and Clickez? They sound like my jam and should work great on this evga z15. :D
As I got them as part of testers I only have (had) one of each, not full sets. I have managed to misplace the single Clickez. :(

Check out these awesome keycaps I ordered via group buy 3 years ago and are apparently finally in the US, awaiting shipment to the company I ordered them from. This is now officially my second 3-year GB!

I don't really use my Ergodox any more so once they're in stock I'll have to see what extras are available to get a complete set.

Also I just noticed the extra 3 keys in the alpha centauri set, lol (no soapbox!)

1717633143270.png

1717633165285.png

Interesting. I've never run into this issue. Does it follow any of the power plans? Like if I set the entire system to the "high performance" power plan (or whatever they call it), maybe the USB power savings setting is disabled as well?

I usually do that since my Windows install is dedicated to games (I use Linux for everything else) so I can hyper-optimize it for performing the best it possibly can without having to worry about it impacting anything else I do.

I've actually come to appreciate this arrangement so much that even if I didn't use Linux I'd still probably dual boot two windows instances and do the same thing. Having one of them set up for work and general desktop use, and the other hyper-optimized for the most performance at any cost.

I actually did this for a short while ~20 years ago. I got sick of Windows ME constantly blue screening, so I reverted to Windows 98 SE which was great for games, but not quite as stable as I liked it for my work (college essays, Pro/Engineer and AutoCad, Excel, general browsing, etc.) so I installed Windows 2000 for productivity, and kept 98SE stripping it down and hyper-optimizing it for the most possible performance in Counter-Strike :p

It was pretty great to - in 2001 - when most people were pursuing 1024x768@60hz be blasting away at 1600x1200@100hz vsynced and never dropping below 100fps. In retrospect that might help explain part of why I was really good back then. I've never had the "fast twitchy" motor skills. It helped having a top of the line GeForce 3 TI500 and the crazy 80lb Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 510 that curved my poor college desk with its excessive weight.

That monitor actually supported up to 2048X1536, but I stopped at 1600x1200. I can't remember why. I didn't think it was performance, as I would happily have sacrificed some of that 100+ fps performance for better graphics back then. I was still solidly in the "you never need above 60fps" camp in those days. It might just have been that the in game fonts were illegibly small at resolutions above 1600x1200 on a 22" CRT monitor.

Anyway, that was a fun little diversion. Back to keyboards and mice :p

So how about that USB power saving feature, is it indeed disabled if you just change the overall power settings to "high performance"? Otherwise I wonder why I have never had an issue with this, as I don't recall ever intentionally changing USB power settings.
Ah, the golden era of great CRTs. My Lacie 22" could do 2560x1600 so that's what I was using and loving until the lcd version came down from the $1k+ price point to where they are affordable. They're actually a part of my ergonomics for every location--30" 2560x1600 display, model M 101, and logitech trackman thumb wired. Anything less just cuts my productivity by 50% or more.

Can u guys recommend a mechanical keyboard? Does it make sense to just buy a cheap one to 'get going' or should I invest in a 'good one' right away? The only ones I have some familiarity with - are Keychron models - but, it's only because I've researched it a little. I have seen some Razer and Red Dragon ones - but, some of them are cheaper - so, I was wondering if I should take a chance with something like that for now?
Keychron keyboards are like $150 and up here - well, for a good one.
I like to try used boards first to try something out. But with today's boards with switch hot swapping designs, I would get one of these and then just change out switches/keys until you find your perfect match. :)

As I got them as part of testers I only have (had) one of each, not full sets. I have managed to misplace the single Clickez. :(
Same here so I'm looking for a full set of the box jade or navys for the z15.

I game lefty when in game on foot, game righty when driving in games and surf the web "ambi".
I throw righty, write righty, drive lefty, brush lefty. I've tried to do some ambi stuff to keep each side of my body working, probably the closest is getting my feet to work both the pedals when driving.

Have been using my model f 77 at work after using it at home for a little while and even though I only am in the office 3 days a week the finish is already wearing off. Keep in mind this thing shipped to me in may last year, maybe the industrial grey colour just sucks.

View attachment 643706
WOW! For such an expensive board that supposedly on par with the original, that's a serious letdown. :(

it will easily hold 20 drives, the rear holders can hold 2 drives per tray, so 12 in the front and 8 in the rear.
View attachment 658281
What a beauty! Reminds me of my California PC Products case--imagine 14x 5.25" bays like that external in a tower case nearly 3ft tall. :D I love that case. And that system. Too bad the motherboard needs to be repaired before it will see service again.

What a beauty! Reminds me of my California PC Products case--imagine 14x 5.25" bays like that external in a tower case nearly 3ft tall. :D I love that case. And that system. Too bad the motherboard needs to be repaired before it will see service again.
I had one of those back in the day, mine had a door covering all of the 5-1/4 slots.
It's under the desk on the far right, goes from the floor right up the desk, almost didn't fit.
old-desk02-gigapixel-very_compressed-scale-2_00x.jpg

I had one of those back in the day, mine had a door covering all of the 5-1/4 slots.
It's under the desk on the far right, goes from the floor right up the desk, almost didn't fit.
View attachment 658343
Yep!! Mine has a door with a nice brown smoked glass insert. We put our wheels on the bottom and because of that it wouldn't fit under the desk. But we also have the side mount wheels in the original box.

My birthday finally happened so I could start the assembly of the Q10 keyboard that has been growling from the bottom of the birthday pile for a month or two.

So the pile of stuff consisted of:

Keychron Q10 ISO knob barebone in Navy
Keychron Q10 brass plate
Keychron light blue knob
8x 2u Durock v2 stabs (that got holee modded with the usual fiddly as hell poron strips)
ePBT Kavala Clouds Modifiers
ePBT Kavala Clouds Novelties
Keyboard Kustoms Q10 Poron Foam Kit
Keyboard Kustoms Q10 PE Foam
Gateron Pro 3.0 Yellow switches

The Q8 had the Kailh Box Summer switches and the Kavala Sunset keycaps removed. Actually I took the hole thing apart to also replace the 4 Durock v2 stabs and got the holee modded ones installed instead and this time without a lot less lube (hey you slowly get it right). Then the Gateron Yellows went in there and the original monochrome :p Keychron keycap set was returned. After all the silver and Kavala combo looked terrible.

With the Q8 operational it was time to build the Q10. It was all taken apart, 4 more holee modded Durock v2 stabs installed, all 4 sheets of foam and the brass plate were added before closing it all up. Then the Kailh Box Summer switches got installed, the dark blue knob was swapped for the light blue version and then it was just a case of installing just the blue keys from the Kavala set. I yet again used the o-rings underneath the keycaps.

A quick software upgrade and the reactive light under the keys was working as intended. With the switch housing being blue the light is set to white for a very nice electric blue colour.

I'm really pleased with the result of both keyboards.

Q8_Q10.jpg

Back