What motherboard is teh best

Firebat

Gawd
Right now i have a Vg33 Motherboard. Its socket 478 with the chipset of 845GE.

Here are the rest of this motherboards specs

http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/1stmainboard_detail.aspx?model_id=119

Sence this things BIOS is locked and im an overclocker, i think im going to get another motherboard.

The one im thinking about is an AB60R Shuttle motherboard. Its socket 478 with a chipset of 865PE. Not only for overclocking capabilitys but for other reasons this board is better. Like It supports AGP 8x, my card supports 8x but is running in 4x because of the motherboard.

more details below.

http://global.shuttle.com/Product/MotherBoard/mbd_Spec.asp?M_id=50

Is this MotherBoard compataible? Is it a worth while upgrade?

If i re-install windows with this new motherboard, the BIOS won't be locked, correct?

Wheres the best place to buy this motherboard?

I won't be geting PCI-E so thats not one of my worries. If theres a better Motherboard thats compatible please tell me.

The guts of my computer are listed below. Thanks!

I will NEVER again have a FIC motherboard. Period.
Sorry. Not a good sounce of infomation.

ECS are also not the best, but a step up from a FIC or PC-Chips.

Want cheap, I have had a number of ASRocks that are quite solid (some that weren't)

Other than that, all I can in good faith reccamend is ASUS or ABIT.
BFG's SLI board isn't bad either.

Gigabyte, and DFI have some interesting boards, but they are kinda finiky about RAM, and power supplies. I prefer bulletproof for a daily use computer.

If the chipsets are different but the sockets the same will it still be compatible? :confused:

Yeah FIC is a lousy choice for a motherboard to put it midly. I second the recommedation for ASRock. They are a division of Asus. So that's relatively safe.

I'd look for an Abit IS7 or IC7 based board if you want "the best" in 865/875 chipsets. The Asus P4P800/P4C800 aren't bad either except for the voltage droop. The DFI Lanparty 875B is nice too, but hard to find.

Not sure what CPU you have, but I have a feeling that you might be spending extra money for little performance gain. You might as well see if you can find an older 845PE chipset board (Abit BH7/IT7 Max2 v. 2) since you're probably using a 400/533 bus P4.

I have the Abit IC7-G Max2 motherboard for over 2.5 years now, and have nothing but good things to say about it. I believe the only board you can get now is the IC7-G Maxx3 Advance (at the time, was a better overclocker than the version that I currently own)

Im using a p4 2.8ghz proccesser with 400mhz fsb. my computer came with a vg33 motherboard. Wasn't my choice. But i would like a new motherboard for overclocking almost all of my hardware. Plus it will allow me to upgrade further in the future. With my current motherboard its just not up to the test. Will the other components of my pc work with a new chipset?

Firebat said:
Im using a p4 2.8ghz proccesser with 400mhz fsb. my computer came with a vg33 motherboard. Wasn't my choice. But i would like a new motherboard for overclocking almost all of my hardware. Plus it will allow me to upgrade further in the future. With my current motherboard its just not up to the test. Will the other components of my pc work with a new chipset?

I believe everything should be able to be used again unless that chipset is SDR RAM instead of DDR Ram. I don't remember what the 845GE chipset used.

Its DRR. What other suggestions do you guys have for motherboards. I want something that will be able to support 3.2ghz at least.

875P is better, but get whatever you get a good deal on. The difference isn't too noticable, especially since your matching it with older hardware (533 fsb/nonHT chip).

When the motherboard says supported bus speed 800mhz/533mhz does that mean it won't accept 400 mhz?

Which board in particular. Now that you mention it. I don't know if every 865/875 board supports 400mhz FSB CPU's. Most of them should support it though.

Ah yes...now I remember...865/875 support 400mhz but Northwood only :).

:D CPU-Z says my code name is Northwood. Im looking for a great deal really, any suggestions on where to buy these motherboards cheap?

FS/FT threads here ;). I buy stuff there all the time and have rarely had a problem. Heck...I might have a 875P MSI board here I could sell you if I decide to get rid of it ;).

Firebat said:
Hmm... i would have to look into it. How much would you sell it for?

I don't know...maybe $40 shipped. Just a bare board though...no manual, driver disc, I/O Shield and all that kind of stuff :) (it's the way I got it from another user in the forum :D ). If you want the whole retail box, you have to look for other people selling their boards in the FS/FT forum with the retail box. I'm not even sure if I'm going to sell my board yet :p .

I just sold my Abit IC-7 in the FS: forums.... its was an awesome board.

The ONLY reason I got rid of it is b/c I wanted a 7800 & needed PCIe to get one. :(

If they had released an AGP version believe me I'd still have my trusty old Abit IC-7.

I see....I may even buy one new, at this point im just not sure what im going to do.

Back