What motherboard has stayed relevant for you the longest?

MSI Big Bang-XPower (X58)

Like many others, I still have not found any dire need to upgrade to another socket. I upgraded the RAM from 6 GB to 12 GB before the Corsair XMS I was using was discontinued. And a video card refresh has kept things current in that direction.

We'll see what the next year brings, but for now I've enjoyed putting the money elsewhere for now.

Some of the Abits I loved have been listed, I don't see the IC7-G MAX so I'll toss that out.

Also the Crosshair II Formula in my sig. Purchased in 2008 and still going strong. Despite being pushed like crazy.

Asus P2B-D. Started with p3 550s, upgraded to P3 1 ghz. Upgraded again to P3 1.4 ghz. Was running as a web server until 2011.

GA-MA74GM bought it in 2008 with a single core Athlon 64 3800+, upgraded to X2 5000+ and now it is running X4 630. Use it for my main machine.

my ASUS P6x58D has had a great run and I only see myself replacing in 2 years or so. (When DDR4 prices drop a bit). That would mean a 6-7 year life. not too bad. Of course my power consumption will probably half when I do decide to upgrade with the efficiancy of the new processors/DDR4/ and graphics cards.

I built a Sempron 2800+ on a MSI (?) motherboard InWin case/PSU in 2005, sold it to my former pastor for use in the church- and it is still in use today.

Late reply...been away.
My last Abit board was the AN8 Ultra NF4 Fatality, which was running up until 2008 when the cpu died, which was an X2 4400+.

I decided not to replace the cpu, and built a new system with Gigabyte GA EX58 Extreme plus i7 920 in November 2008 which is still my current system.

It was a sad day when Abit went bust, as I used their boards up until the An8 Ultra, so I switched to Gigabyte, and never had a problem with any of them.

Asrock 775Dual VSTA.

This beast had DDR1 and DDR2!! It also had AGP 8x and PCIe x4 slot lol.

I got one of those. It's a frankenstein board!

DDR1 & DDR2
AGP & PCIe
2 IDE + 2 Sata

It's fun seeing how much I can push it. Since it can use both DDR1 and DDR2 (not at the same time), each type can only max out at 2GB each. I got a modded bios though that allows you to use 3GB DDR2. The AGP slot used to have a GeForce 6800 in it, but now the PCIe x4 is running an HD 4800 series with the unofficial bios. It's currently got a Core 2 Duo E6400 in it, but this bios also added in support for the Wolfdale-3M (1066 fsb) C2D's and someone tested a Q6600 and said it works fine, so I might throw in an E7600 or a Q6600 later for shits.

Would be really great to get an X6800 or QX6800 running in it, maybe I'll come across one one day. :p

I feel this board will always be useful, even when not in active use it could be a great component test bench.

Last edited:
Abit Kt7a v1.3 and it is still going today after 14 years of great service. It started life with a 1.4 thunderbird proc. Moved up to a 1800+ then a 2100+. Now it is running a 2400+. Memory went from 256mb to 512mb and then to the 1.5gb it has now. Gpu went from a Rage Fury pro to the Original Radeon ddr to a Radeon 9500 pro (died) to the Fx5700 it has now. Started life on win 98 then to win xp and has ran linux also.

MSI XPower Big Bang, X58 version. I got it in 2010 and I just upgraded, not because my 920/X58 setup was feeling slow, but because the BIOS did not support 4GB video cards in CrossFire/SLI so my new 290X setup wouldn't work. If the BIOS issues had been able to be worked out, I would have kept using the board until X99.

The Asus A7N8X-Deluxe - what a board... though it wasn't actually my rig until one of my mates was finished with it... when it came to me it already had the Barton 3000+ onboard...

For my own rigs my ECS K7S5A was probably the most upgraded board... no overclocking ability... but took me from a Duron 900 up to an Athlon XP 1600+ and through countless GPUs. That was the last of my Windows 98SE machines before I went (reluctantly) to XP... :rolleyes:

DFI Lanpary M2RS and Epox 8K3A hands down best companys ever.

Shame that they are gone. Niche enthusiast market, that lost market share to overpriced Asus crap.

Elitegroup seems to be doing better now after their recent fiasco realeases, I just ordered a new ECS board to replace this Asrock board I have which throttle more then a mofo even with its self proclaimed only in the industry 12+2 power phase.

asus p5w dh deluxe wifi & q6600 g0 & original scythe ninja @ 3.2GHz with a slight undervolt - still a good system after almost 10 years - an eternity in computing

before that, the dual overclocked celerons with the abit bp6 dual socket board - the best deal ever IMO

in video cards, the best ever video card deal was the gainwward 8800gt golden sample

the good sample 2500k / z68 / sapphire 7950 system is one of those great systems also

Last edited:
Asus P6T with an i750. Used that combo for two years before biting the bullet and switching out to an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3 with a 2600k.

MSI x58m SLI. Have this board (with the i7-950) for about 4.5 years now. Still going strong. I'll put in a Xeon 5650 and will keep the board for another 4-5 years at least.

It's for my media server/rendering server and stay on 24/7. Rendering is done with some help from a tesla M2090 GPU card.

Abit BP6! (dual celeron motherboard, that everyone had 366's running at 550mhz on)

I wish I still had it. I remember running it for a long time then selling it to a local business who had it running at their store for a long time as well. That was a great board. Normally though, two - three years tops on most every system I've had

Last edited:
Anything that can overclock a Sandy Bridge K processor. Wake me up if Broadwell hits and is actually a significant upgrade over Haswell.

No question...Asus P3B-F. That board was friggen amazing back in the day. It ran everything from a Celeron 300A up to a Pentium III Coppermine 700MHz@933MHz FC-PGA for me. Rock solid stable motherboard with old school overclocking DIP switches and jumpers. I think I ran every memory configuration known to man in that board from PC66 up to PC133.

Those were the days...:(

The 440BX chipset was easily the longest running in terms of relevancy. Anything based on it qualifies.

The longest board I had was my XFX 780i for about 3-4 years, this was before I had a job and could afford upgrades. Now I upgrade almost every year but I would say my EVGA X58 Classified lasted a good 3 years and I am nearing 2 years now on my ASUS Sabertooth Z77.

Either my Gigabyte X58 UD3R or my DFI Lanparty X48 boards were my primary motherboards for the longest length of time (about 3 years each maybe?) Neither was my favorite, and the only reason they were relevant for so long was the CPU in it

My Q6600 build has lasted me a long time. My X48 DFI Motherboard blew about 18 months ago, replaced it with a Gigabyte X48-DS5 that has been running strong since. Gone through 3 video cards with this system, a 8800GTX to 4870x2 now to a GTX760.

Added a SSD, and a USB 3.0 card and it runs like a champ. Its going to be given to my 10 yr old here soon, my 8 yr old has my other X3220 on a P45.

The longest running board I have is my SLI-DR Expert S939, running a Opteron 165 :)

I bought the gigabyte ex58-ud5 in 2008 and its still my main rig.

Same here. First time I ever went with Gigabyte (I almost always go for Asus), and it has turned out to be my longest-running main rig by far (since Jan 2009). Not because any of my prior boards died early, but due to my "need" to upgrade approx every 12 to 18 months.

But this rig is so good I decided I was going to wait for LGA2011 before upgrading. But when X79 materialized it just struck me as "meh" and I decided I could wait for the next one. Here's hoping for good things from X99.

The motherboard in my Firebird 002. I'm running a single Quadros 3000m and a LGA771 Quad Xeon at 3.2GHz, with 8GB of DDR2-800. Couldn't be happier for a spare "show off" system.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe. That baby was a beast! Those nForce2 chipsets were good.

If I remember correctly, I began using a Thunderbird Athlon (model escapes my memory), then an Athlon XP 2800+ (Throroughbed) and finally an Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton). In order to unlock those little guys you had to do a "pencil trick"... I believe I took the Barton from 2.1GHz to 2.6GHz or so; I cooled it with a Koolance Exos.

It lived inside a Thermaltake Xaser III, with a side window. I also had a bazillion lights in there that pulsed at the rhythm of music. Heh, it was my Fast and Furious Computer Guy era.

Heck, I still have it around. I bet my left arse it would still run.

BIG BIG ups to the Asus A7N8X Deluxe.

Think I have a few nforce2 chipset boards in a closet somewhere. Loved the onboard sound.

As far as overall time used and gaming usefullness..... gotta say this current gigabyte pain in my ass sandybridge board in my sig 3 years on it and until a VRM goes up in smoke I can't justify replacing it. Gogogo Z68. Even with my half ass gigabyte uefi bios.

I think anyone that still has a 775, AM2+, or X58 (or newer) platform still has a "relevant" system. Yes they would bottleneck a high end gpu (more or less depending on the specific cpu) and wouldn't work too well with certain games but I would say they are certainly relevant. Pretty amazing considering how long they have been around.

the P5E3 Deluxe came out in 2007, support the q9550 and uses DDR3. I bet there are people who bought it at launch and are still using it.

I've been running a P5Q/Q6600 @3.2Ghz since summer 2008 and it's still running great. I work with brand new systems in my job and they don't seem any faster. Though I did just make the move from a mechanical hard drive (RAID-0 array) to SSD and that was a nice bump in performance.

I may upgrade to a faster CPU (maybe a Q9650) when I can find one cheap enough on eBay. I don't see a full Motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrade necessary for probably a couple more years.

Gigabyte 965p-ds3

Started as my main machine still chugging along as my home server.

Back