What mhz operating frequency of memory should I purchase?

Jitsu

Limp Gawd
8gb wanted

would like to overclock

6gb dual channel ddr3 @ 670mhz G-Skill (replace this item with _comments!)
AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Deneb 45nm
MSI-790GX-G65 Mobo
Sapphire 6870
500gb Western Digital Blue
Corsair 850w PSU
Antec P280
25.5" Asus Monitor

Mushkin? :D

Motherboard supports 1333, 1600 (oc). You can buy faster RAM, but don't expect it to run at those speeds. This is one of those cases where tighter timings would be more beneficial than higher speeds.

AMD tends to like lower CAS numbers, so I might go with 1333 CAS7 RAM or something similar. However, performance differences are miniscule, so I would get the cheapest RAM kit you can find that's either 1333 CAS7 or 1600 CAS9 or better (higher frequency, lower CAS).

The memory with the fastest chips according to the company that actually made the chips and isn't claimed to be faster according to the module maker. Huh? IOW almost every module is overclocked from the factory, and almost nothing is made with chips rated faster than 1600 MHz. Start with faster chips, and you'll likely be able to overclock to higher speeds than with slower chips, although some people say speed ratings assigned by chip makers don't correlate with achievable speeds. Yeah, right.

Get Cas 7 1600, then run it at Cas 5 or Cas 6 1333 with your AMD. It will run faster with a really low Cas at 1333 than it will at 1600. Like has been said before, AMD likes 1333 & a low Cas.

My 1090T loved the Mushkin memory in my sig. That stuff ran at 6-6-6-18 1T @ 1333 with it @ 1.4 volts.

That product is 75 dollars @ newegg

whats the problem?

I'd rather drop 70 instead of 50 if It's going to be solid!

whats the problem?

The samsung memory is very solid.
It also ocs very well and is low profile, low voltage. Its also 1/2 the price, but like i said, its your money.

whats the problem?

Because it's not that much better to justify its costs. It's rated at 1.65V and is only DDR3 1600. In other words, there's no good reason to get that Mushkin RAM.

So go with the Samsungs Hagrid recommended earlier. They're a far far better buy than that Mushikin set.

I'd base it more on the volts. the higher the clock rate they were able to get the chip running at a low voltage, the better the chance it can overclock well.

(like if it took them 1.65V in order to get that RAM running at 1600, that doesn't sound good... compared to the samsung only needing 1.35V to do 1600. So just imagine scaling that linearly (although obviously it isn't a linear correlation))

The redlines aren't bad.

You don't really have any awesome requirements, though. The IMC on my 1090T was only good until 1750 MHz or something though at CAS9, you can find a cheap kit that will operate within those timings without any real effort.

I would get the Samsungs over those Mushkins. Those Muskins are over priced & run way to high of a voltage. And from what people are getting out of those Samsung sticks it's a no brainer.

If you buy me some samsung I will send you some Radioactive or Silverline memory.
Mushkin told me the blackline,Redline,Silverline and radioactive are the same memory with different heatsinks. They ran great on my old 920 but could not get past 1600 stable.
The Samsung is superior memory. A real sleeper. Just because there is no pretty heatsink
Pluming around to show the girls they are the best to mate with does not make them the better ram.

Does the Samsung come in 2 x8G sticks variants, 16G total, all i can find is 2 x 4G sticks :(

Your board has 4 mem slots right.
Dual-channel DDR3 memory architecture
4 x 240-pin DDR3 DIMM socket support up to 16GB
Support DDR3 up to DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600
As for overclocking
"With 1.4v the CPU maxes at 3.8GHz with multiplier overclocking and maxes at 264MHz HT"(Stolen from online review.)

I purchased 2x4gb samsung, 55 bucks 2 day shipping

Gonna flip the on-board oc switch too

Should be great

Ran oc'd before, but bsod when had bf3 running

hopefully no bsod during oc, memory was weakest link - we'll see how the rig does now - build is done, gonna keep it running with this hardware only

Back