What messenging program does everyone use? pidgin? trillian?

I use Digsby 99% of the time. I've used Pidgin and Trillian in the past, and Digsby simply blows them away.

For the other 1% I use a program called Psi. It is a super simple Jabber(/Gtalk) client, but the cool thing is that it supports integrated PGP/GPG encryption.

I just tried Digsby for the first time today at home and at work. Wow!
All my social networking sites and chat clients in one. The interface is even better for reading your gmail emails than google talk itself. I definitely recommend it to anyone!

I would steer clear of Digsby, their development team has done some pretty questionable things in my opinion .

Last edited:
They did do some questionable things at one point... With regards to how they handled some of the stuff that you could opt to install w/Digsby or run when idle, etc. On the other hand they also admitted they messed up and they handled it reasonably well (full disclosure, etc.) afterward, that counts for something in my book.

I've always used Digsby... Trillian Astra is just the same old Trillian. By the time they release it (they may have, I haven't checked), Digsby still has the edge...

never heard of Pidgin before this thread...I always thought Trillian was the best program...did something bad happen with Trillian?

never heard of Pidgin before this thread...I always thought Trillian was the best program...did something bad happen with Trillian?

Trillian is just awful, in my opinion. The new Astra is no different.

Pidgin used to be called GAIM IIRC, it was catching steam pretty steadily for a few years but Digsby has stolen it's thunder lately.

Trillian is just awful, in my opinion. The new Astra is no different.

Yea... And for as long as they took to freaking revamp Astra one would expect them to be releasing something radically different. Nope. Just new UI, performance tweaks, and some features. Still the same Trillian feel to it.

Back