What messenging program does everyone use? pidgin? trillian?

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
i am just curious really. i have been using pidgin (i think what used to be gaim) for a very long time and was wondering if there was anything out there thats better.

www.meebo.com

I like web apps, keeps shit off my computer. I dont IM that much though anymore.

Meebo is cool because it makes a "desktop" of sorts in your browser window that contains all your chat windows/etc. that you can move around and resize.

uh that's an irc client

digsby or pidgin

Unless you're going to go back to the late 70s - early 80's and speak of CompuServe's CBSimulator (been there, done that), then IRC is the king of instant messaging online and predates any silly old IM apps by several years, so his response is perfectly valid.

Internet Relay Chat... the original Internet instant chat/messenging form...

Used to use MSN Messenger.

Recently been trying out Disby and I really like it. Wish it had IRC.

Unless you're going to go back to the late 70s - early 80's and speak of CompuServe's CBSimulator (been there, done that), then IRC is the king of instant messaging online and predates any silly old IM apps by several years, so his response is perfectly valid.

IRC is piles more fun than MSN/ICQ/Y!/AIM as well :D I got mIRC running 24/7 on my main systems, joined on 3 networks and ~20 channels :) it's a very social way to interact (most of the time). Beats Facebook and such too :p

Now try explaining that to the "young pups" that grew up or were actually born after 1989 and who still do things one-to-one. :D Nothing wrong with actual dedicated IM clients - I use YIM to keep in touch with a handful of friends that simply don't "get" IRC and never have.

And there's that entire generation now that, when they see an IRC client in operation, freak out because it's not "chat" meaning voice enabled, nor is it really designed for a bunch of silly emoticon graphics (we're old skewl, with :) and >:^) kinda stuff instead of big honkin' animated graphics crap), and no real idiotic sounds either.

But hey, YMMV and TEHO... KWIMV? :D

www.meebo.com

I like web apps, keeps shit off my computer. I dont IM that much though anymore.

Meebo is cool because it makes a "desktop" of sorts in your browser window that contains all your chat windows/etc. that you can move around and resize.

+1. Or Gtalk through Gmail.

Now try explaining that to the "young pups" that grew up or were actually born after 1989 and who still do things one-to-one. :D Nothing wrong with actual dedicated IM clients - I use YIM to keep in touch with a handful of friends that simply don't "get" IRC and never have.

And there's that entire generation now that, when they see an IRC client in operation, freak out because it's not "chat" meaning voice enabled, nor is it really designed for a bunch of silly emoticon graphics (we're old skewl, with :) and >:^) kinda stuff instead of big honkin' animated graphics crap), and no real idiotic sounds either.

But hey, YMMV and TEHO... KWIMV? :D

You forgot: "Now get off my lawn, you whippersnappers!" while shaking your cane in the air :p

They often say that the current generation is so good at using computers. I instead think that they're mostly just well-trained monkeys, hence why you only see them use IM programs, or do the same thing on their cellphones.

Gawd, I feel old now :(

BTW, VisualIRC, IIRC, shows emoticon graphics in place of the ASCII smilies :)

IRC just has some very practical advantages that you'll never get out of an IM client... 'Specially for gamers, for instance, I used to play a somewhat competitive MMORPG and we ran a crew of 8 people (the guild was maybe 10-12, not everyone played all the time, etc.)... Having to coordinate everyone logging on and knowing who was gonna be online any given night and who wasn't gonna be using IMs was a royal PITA (and I had to do it a few times when we had guild members who were freakishly scared of IRC).

Whereas with an IRC channel for the guild people could just pop in mid-day and leave a message that they weren't gonna be around, we could change the channel topic if we weren't gonna play at all on a certain night... You just stay on the channel 24/7 and you can read any of that or even any past convos we may have had regarding tactics, previous fights, etc. It's sort of like having a message board, only live... Greatly simplifies things compared to me as a guild leader having to round up the minions w/individual IMs. :p

IRC just has some very practical advantages that you'll never get out of an IM client... 'Specially for gamers, for instance, I used to play a somewhat competitive MMORPG and we ran a crew of 8 people (the guild was maybe 10-12, not everyone played all the time, etc.)... Having to coordinate everyone logging on and knowing who was gonna be online any given night and who wasn't gonna be using IMs was a royal PITA (and I had to do it a few times when we had guild members who were freakishly scared of IRC).

Yeah it was useful back when for me....back in the early days of Quake 1 clanning, we used it.

//fast foward to today

Trillian for me when I'm in Windows, 1x IM client keeping in touch with many buddies of all various other IM types.

Kopete when using OpenSUSE.

You forgot: "Now get off my lawn, you whippersnappers!" while shaking your cane in the air :p

They often say that the current generation is so good at using computers. I instead think that they're mostly just well-trained monkeys, hence why you only see them use IM programs, or do the same thing on their cellphones.

Gawd, I feel old now :(

BTW, VisualIRC, IIRC, shows emoticon graphics in place of the ASCII smilies :)

Joe lives in vegas, I'm highly doubtful he has a lawn per se.

www.meebo.com

I just started using meebo paired up with prism to turn it into an "application" I still use pidgin also to log onto our jabber server at work since we use that for a lot of internal communication

I always wondered who the one person who used Jabber was. :p

The hosting provider I work for uses jabber for internal communication. Used to use IRC, not sure why we switched to jabber actually.

We also use it for for techs to monitor servers, the monitoring software pipes error messages into jabber, stuff like load alerts,root access alerts, service outages etc.

What a dumb response. Everyone knows what the op was asking. No one cares about 1980. And hes looking for a program that's a good alternative to Pidgin. Which IRC is not.

What a dumb response. Everyone knows what the op was asking. No one cares about 1980. And hes looking for a program that's a good alternative to Pidgin. Which IRC is not.

QFT.

We know you are old and wise Joe. :p Thanks for reminding us...again.

Haven't most folks migrated to Google Talk? which also supports AIM, last I checked...

Back