• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What Media Player Software Do You Use?

InnocentNoobie

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 31, 2008
Messages
231
I've been using Foobar2000 for what seems like most of a decade now and was wondering if I am becoming old fashioned and should upgrade? More generally, I'm curious what media players people use and what kind of features they like to see in their media players?
 
For music organization I use Winamp, I like the built in ShoutCast radio support. To play random media files I just use VLC.
 
I thoroughly enjoy using Media Monkey for my music. Simple to use with many features and fast
 
iTunes, Foobar2000 and Windows Media Player here. iTunes for syncing things to my iPhone/iPod, Foobar for general computer playback and WMP for most of my video playback.
 
iTunes for Mac OS X, Foobar2000 for Windows, XMMS for Linux.
 
Winamp Lite because it's basically the same Winamp it was 10 years ago and has been my music player of choice since that time.

Media Player Classic - Home Theater because it's a no-nonsense video player unlike all those bloated, skinned ones out there.
 
media player classic

I hate change :(

...and I'm a "listen to 1 song 40,000 times in a row" person. If I listen to a playlist, its based on the (genre) folder I keep my music sorted in, but I normally end up just looping a single song over and over. I also still listen to music based on file name instead of "tags". Browse via explorer and launch w/ MPC.

Though, honestly, most of my music is played on my phone. I liked the player built into windows mobile as it was similar to what I use in windows and use Meridian on android. These apps let me keep the browse via file name approach I've grown accustomed to.

In linux, I use amarok because I add it, from habit, to my system every single time I install.

Is there a consensus here on the best (freeware/oss) tagging application? I need to get back to work on cleaning up my library.

edit:

WMP because it works with the media buttons on the keyboards.

So does MPC. I'd use WMP, but MPC opens damn near instant. Kinda like notepad vs Word.
 
Audio = iTunes; I limit the amount of albums through iTunes instead of using music players that scan folders due to a very large collection
Everything else = The KMPlayer (Windows)
 
Windows Media Player for Music
Zoom Player for Videos
VLC for videos that Zoom Player won't play, like corrupted/incomplete avi and wmv files, and some videos with strange codecs.
 
I've used Winamp since 2002. First Winamp3, then Winamp5 some years later when Winamp3 couldn't handle the size of my playlist. I also love MediaMonkey. VLC for HD videos/movies.
 
I'm a brand-new foobar2000 convert as of a few weeks ago, after using Winamp exclusively for about 10 years.

The only thing keeping me bound and tied to that bloated, AOL-infested POS for so long was the downright unintuitive default interface in fb2k. Turns out, there's this lovely little plugin called Columns UI that takes care of that problem, and quite well. If you aren't already using it, it will probably change your perspective on the entire program for the better. Here's a screencap of my Columns UI setup.

If you care about audio quality, standards compliance, and maintaining a well-organized directory-based music library on your HD, you're already using the best there is. I pity those who are enslaved to iShit's piss-poor file management, sluggishness and lack of FLAC support because of a device they own.
 
I'm still stuck on Winamp for the most part. I tend to like small, unobtrusive apps that do the job (like Aimp, Winamp, Quintessential Player, Coolplayer, etc.) vs. the "media library" programs like WMP, Songbird and MediaMonkey. There once was a plugin or skin for Foobar that made it look like a Winamp clone but I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere on the internet or on my old HD archives. If someone knows what that is, please let me know!

I'll look into Columns UI too; always heard it was the cat's ass if you're using Foobar.
 
I go back and forth with MediaMonkey and Foobar, but Foobar is really my player of choice. Plus Foobar will actually allow me to put songs on my iPhone.
 
I go back and forth with MediaMonkey and Foobar, but Foobar is really my player of choice. Plus Foobar will actually allow me to put songs on my iPhone.

Why won't MediaMonkey allow you to put songs on your iphone is it the 4? Works perfectly fine for mine and others.

Just an addition to my earlier post. I think the zune software player looks nice so I am using a zune skin for mediamonkey. MPC-HC for videos.
 
Yeah, MM hasn't released a fix for iOS4 yet. The Foobar plugin works with iOS4, but not the iPhone4 apparently.
 
MediaMonkey for music, MPC-HC for videos. Haven't found anything better.
 
Just started using MediaMonkey for music a couple days ago. Sticking with it rather than foobar.

*Using VLC for video
 
I'm a brand-new foobar2000 convert as of a few weeks ago, after using Winamp exclusively for about 10 years.

The only thing keeping me bound and tied to that bloated, AOL-infested POS for so long was the downright unintuitive default interface in fb2k. Turns out, there's this lovely little plugin called Columns UI that takes care of that problem, and quite well.

Foobar is pretty versatile in how you can customize it. From a simple columns layout, to a pure graphical interface.

Hell, just go to google images and type in "Foobar2000 skin" :p
Sample pic:


As per the topic:

Video - VLC
Music - Foobar2000
 
Back
Top