What lens to rent for National Zoo?

n64man120

2[H]4U
I'm going to be in DC in a few weeks, and am going to spend a friday at the national zoo while I'm down there. I noticed there is a Penn Camera nearby that does rentals, so I'd like to try out some L glass for the day. Being I normally shoot the 28-135mm, it should be fun to try out a more high-end lens.

Few other bits of information, I'm using a 350D so got the 1.6x crop factor as well. Also, I own a 72mm Hoya SMC CPL filter already, along with a 58-72mm step-up ring.

That being said, I'm looking for suggestions on what lens to pickup for shooting a day at the zoo. Naturally, I'm sure almost all the pictures will be of the animals or other interesting things I come upon. Since I'm only using it for a day, I don't really have to time to research this in depth, so I come to you guys!

Suggestions for which lens to pickup, what focal range would be the best for this type of shooting? Below is the lenses I have to choose from, any aside from the $50 or $75 primes listed in the middle.
Thanks!
Eric

choices.jpg

70-200mm L IS

Might be a good pick if you dont plan on doing tons of wide angle shots. That would give you enough range to get some closeups of teh furry bunnehs.

I would use the 100-400, just incase, you have some uncoopertive animals hanging way back.

70-200mm F/2.8 L IS
400mm F/2.8 L

Some big long fun glass to play with, forget the wide stuff, and don't settle for less than this if you have it avaliable. :D

As fun as that would be, i really dont want to be swapping lenses all day since I dont have a good camera bag for that. Only a small lowepro to fit my 28-135mm... so I'll just be workin out of a hiking backpack. And as amazing as the 400mm prime is, it weighs a crapload... can 350D bodies even support that much weight dangling from it? I'm sure it can, just hard to believe

If it were available here, I would rent that 400/2.8 in a flash! One of those is on my "extremely desired" list.

BTW, there is no way you could even think to support a lens that size by the body and you would need at least a monopod to use it at all. I don't see specs for the Canon but the Nikkor weighs 10lbs!

n64man120 said:
As fun as that would be, i really dont want to be swapping lenses all day since I dont have a good camera bag for that. Only a small lowepro to fit my 28-135mm... so I'll just be workin out of a hiking backpack. And as amazing as the 400mm prime is, it weighs a crapload... can 350D bodies even support that much weight dangling from it? I'm sure it can, just hard to believe

The camera would be dangling from the lens. :D

You could handhold it, but if you're weak it might not work out that well for you, that said, a monopod is a good investment. Just do it. :p

I'm plenty strong, but not going to invest in a monopod just for the day. My only incentive to rent these lenses at all is that its so damn cheap! hehe

I could possibly go 300mm, but 100-400mm, 70-200mm, or 70-300mm DO sounds more realistic.

How's the IQ on the 70-300? For being over 1k in price, I'd expect it to be damn good, but it doesn't seem to wear the 'L'.

Tough decisions... they said the 100-400 is out for repair, but could be back in time perhaps.

Try the 70-300. It's not an L, but you'll probably appreciate the weight.

the 100-400 is an awesome lens:) i use mine all the time for just about everything!!
though you can't go to wrong with most of the ones mentioned.

Either the 70-200 L IS
..or the 100-400 L IS

I dont have either of them myself, but they are the two lenses recommended the most and i have been reading alot about them as i want one of them myself.

Both got good scores on www.fredmiranda.com by owners.

Back