What kind of wireless mouse would let me game from my couch? (bluetooth?)

Yoma44

Limp Gawd
I'm setting up a home theater, and I'd love to be able to run my PC to my screen and control it from my couch. The problem is, most wireless mice don't reach that far (distance of between 9 and 12 feet).

I have a bluetooth keyboard I'd like to use anyway (the apple keyboard from my wife's iMac). But I don't even know how to connect a bluetooth appliance to a desktop PC. Do I need to buy a base to connect to it?

Is this the right way to go to achieve this? Would a bluetooth mouse be accurate enough?

the mice and keyboards that only reach 10 ft arent bluetooth and arent 2.4ghz. they are the cheap pieces of crap that you can buy in bundles for $30. there are plenty of separate or bundles sets that use 2.4ghz and/or bluetooth that will more than meet your needs. also this depends on your budget and what type of keyboards/mice you prefer. if you dont mind microsoft mice, i will suggest the microsoft desktop media 7000 set. both keyboard and mouse are bluetooth, recharegable mouse, thin keyboard design that has all the windows media buttons built in as well as a small touchpad if you dont need to use full mouse functionality. prices have come down alot so im sure you could find one for about $130 or less. there are other options as well, such as the logitech mx5500 revolution set which i like as well, but its not "made" for media center. i guess it depends on what you will be doing more with the htpc.

Pretty much any bluetooth mouse would do what you want. Buy one that includes the bluetooth dongle and you can also use it to connect your keyboard.

Does the Logitech V470 bluetooth mouse come with a dongle? Do any of the Logitech mice.

I'm slightly biased against Microsoft mice because of past bad experiences. Doesn't mean it can't change.

I also just ordered a bluetooth dongle from amazon for $17. So, it probably doesn't need to come with one.

the v470 does NOT come with a dongle as it assumes you already have bluetooth in your system.

this being said do not assume that all bluetooth keyboards/mice will work with all bluetooth dongles/enabled computers. some sets say they are bluetooth but they are specially paired to their respective dongles ( ie logitech mx 5500)

Last edited:
I'm guessing any mouse using 2.4 GHz wireless or Bluetooth, all the better if you're using Keyboard+Mouse set, they usually comes with one dongle for both device, rather than using different dongle for each.

I presume it's better to use one that comes with a dongle, cause it usually comes with with signal encryption, I don't know if one that makes use your available bluetooth also uses signal encryption, and even if it does... then how strong?

Last edited:
I use Logitech trackball (top model) and that is not bluetooth and have no distance issue. The sensor connects via USB so just get a USB extension cord so the sensor is closer to where you sit on the couch.

Since you didn't mention price, the logitech g900 is very pricey but should not have an issue with that range. If using an extension csble for usb is an option, I recommend buying a lapdog with a corsair keyboard and any wired mouse you prefer. My preference in wired is logitech g502 proteus

Look at wireless mice with the new Hero and Lightning sensors from Logitech. 1ms response time and long battery life. The work fine from my couch in my home theater room and the input lag at 1ms is indistinguishable from wired mice.
g603, g703, g903

Logitech performance is what I use the battery lasts a while unlike tru gaming mice, it tracks on anything. It uses logitech 2.4 ghz tech so it can track well at a distance and isn't laggy like bluetooth

I'm setting up a home theater, and I'd love to be able to run my PC to my screen and control it from my couch. The problem is, most wireless mice don't reach that far (distance of between 9 and 12 feet).

I have a bluetooth keyboard I'd like to use anyway (the apple keyboard from my wife's iMac). But I don't even know how to connect a bluetooth appliance to a desktop PC. Do I need to buy a base to connect to it?

Is this the right way to go to achieve this? Would a bluetooth mouse be accurate enough?
Accurate enough for what? Playing games?

I've found that legit bluetooth mice are plenty accurate for normal desktop usage, but kinda meh for gaming.

I bought this to solve the problem you seem to be trying to solve, and have not regretted it. I'm actually playing games with it, though. It'd be ludicrous overkill if you're just watching movies.
https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Wire...qid=1534529311&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+lapdog

I have a litany of petty gripes with it, but most boil down to "I forgot to charge it when I was done last time, and now I need to plug in the cables."

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back