• Trustgo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Webroot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
What kind of Security do you run on your Phones?

Also do you use encryption? Full phone or card only? And what do you use, built in default or 3rd party?

I was using Avast and TrustGo together for months. Avast integrates with android browser and chrome (as well as Dolphin Mini), and TrustGo integrates with Dolphin. Since Dolphin is my main browser of choice, its integration was very important to me. Today, I uninstalled TrustGo because I realized that I don't to anything that will compromise my device through Dolphin. Since Avast has started on Dolphin Mini integration, pretty sure Dolphin will also be coming soon.

Avast is probably the best and most comprehensive mobile security app on the market.

Yea, None for me. Anti-Virus of any kind will make my battery life go from bad to probably absolutely terrible considering not many companies can do a efficient x86 version, I have very little confidence they can do a decent version on a mobile device thats worth anything, And no encryption as well lol, dont save anything or do anything on my phone that I would mind some one else seeing if I lost it.

Android phones are already slow enough and consume enough battery. Running an always on security service is just not worth it.

Android phones are already slow enough and consume enough battery. Running an always on security service is just not worth it.

This made me laugh.

I ran Avast in the past and it never hurt my battery or performance. I ran Lookout, Cerberus, and SeekDroid for a bit just to check them out as well and they never hurt the phone. AndroidPolice has also done pretty extensive tests on security apps in the past and have never seen those issues.

Right now I run no security apps. Like I said I ran Avast for a little bit but I didn't do it for the scanning. I did it for the firewall. The only security app I usually run is Droidwall, but Droidwall is no longer being developed and it doesn't work correctly with ICS or JB. I haven't found another firewall program I like yet. Really missing having the firewall though.

do not run security on the phone as the PC scans it on a daily basis.

The PC can scan the apps installed on the phone and the ROM itself? Which AV can do that?

none here, but I just moved from an old iPhone 3GS to a Samsung GS3. Having a hard time understanding the need for any security software on my phone...

I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling and I prefer not to lug around a laptop, having to worry about it in the hotels, etc.

I agree I was worried about extra overhead and battery usage. I just picked up the S3 and a couple extra batteries & chargers just in case a week or so ago and so far the phone seems to handle it like a beast.

I've been running Avast for the whole system. I also picked up Droidcrypt to encrypt the SDcard, and AppLock to put a 2nd layer of protection on certain apps. The S3 also has the option to encrypt the entire device or just the SDcard, but I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea not knowing if the card would be locked to that particular phone if it ever broke.

I also tried trustgo it also looked pretty decent. I was just curious what all you guys might be doing. I'll be running the occasional bank & stock market transactions, I use very long obscure passwords so I'd rather have them stored in the device. Also other personal accounts like email, twitter, facebook, contacts list, etc. So I'm looking to narrow down the best way to secure all of this. :D

Other - None .... Just dont dl the free fart app, and your fine. Ive only ever seen hindered performance and battery life when using any of the "anti-virus" solutions for android.

Common sense works wonders for me...:cool:

Pretty much this for me too. I didn't even run AV on my PC for a while until MSE came out, then I figured I might as well try that when I read how lightweight and effective it is. I had no infection whatsoever after I installed it and did a full scan (in safe mode). I had prolly ran no AV for a year until that point.

Common sense is a no-brainer guys. When you're dealing with banking/financial transactions it IS common sense to be as secure as possible. Antivirus/Firewall/Encryption in case of theft, etc. It's no different than a laptop. You guys don't run anything on your laptops, PCs, etc?

Or is this forum still full of guys that only use their phones for games? :rolleyes:

Common sense is a no-brainer guys. When you're dealing with banking/financial transactions it IS common sense to be as secure as possible. Antivirus/Firewall/Encryption in case of theft, etc. It's no different than a laptop. You guys don't run anything on your laptops, PCs, etc?

Or is this forum still full of guys that only use their phones for games? :rolleyes:

There are tons of differences between a phone and a laptop...

There are tons of differences between a phone and a laptop...
the line diminishes with banking apps and sensitive data are on your phone or tablet. Tell me what is the difference between a tablet and a laptop in terms of typical usage.

None. I do not conduct anything important enough business on my personal phone. Yet to get a virus on any electronic device (that I am aware of, or makes itself aware).

Proper use of electronics is key. Along with what has been said about battery life.

I have never once used a personal device to bank online. I tried once using Mint app. But never got around to using it/configuration.

I do not understand why people bank online. How many bills do you guys really have? All my loans and bills are through my bank (minus cell phone). And that is DD from my account.

I am not against online bill pay or online banking,.....just never saw it as a true convience.....

I have never once used a personal device to bank online. I tried once using Mint app. But never got around to using it/configuration.

I do not understand why people bank online. How many bills do you guys really have? All my loans and bills are through my bank (minus cell phone). And that is DD from my account.

I am not against online bill pay or online banking,.....just never saw it as a true convience.....

Another clown who thinks the world ends at their viewpoint.

For my field of work and in addition to part time entrepreneurism I will be traveling and doing lots of financial transactions, sensitive work related stuff, etc. It comes down to this, as I've already said, instead of bringing a laptop to lug around and worry about, I will be doing everything on my phone, using the network and also various WiFi... Get it now?.. As I've mentioned I've got a pretty decent idea in place, but thought I'd bring the convo here to compare strategies with the other intelligent minds on this forum. Not to explain myself. :D

the line diminishes with banking apps and sensitive data are on your phone or tablet. Tell me what is the difference between a tablet and a laptop in terms of typical usage.

Depends on the tablet honestly but entirely software and network based. This all depends on hardware, software versions, supported devises, networks and all sorts of stuff that differs from an ultra portable arm and a x86 system. My statement was purely for the fact that their are substantial differences between the two.

But I'm not the one to bank online using my phone, I use my pc which has limited use other then business and has av software on it. I also don't see it as a bad thing that people decide to use their phone for it either as rive22 has decided it makes his life easier.

Another clown who thinks the world ends at their viewpoint.

For my field of work and in addition to part time entrepreneurism I will be traveling and doing lots of financial transactions, sensitive work related stuff, etc. It comes down to this, as I've already said, instead of bringing a laptop to lug around and worry about, I will be doing everything on my phone, using the network and also various WiFi... Get it now?.. As I've mentioned I've got a pretty decent idea in place, but thought I'd bring the convo here to compare strategies with the other intelligent minds on this forum. Not to explain myself. :D

Clown? Yes, I am a clown because I think and have an opinion on an idea. Are you laughing yet?

Also, if you've been using your phone thus far with out one......and still doing e-banking. Guess what? You're good.

It's cool though, be paraniod and think a hacker is out to get you. They are just waiting for you, and you only. They only want you.

Another aspect of security software is the find my phone and remote wipe functions.

If you travel a lot with your phone, this is pretty important.

Now, I've never lost my phone before, and I don't intend to. Common sense suggests I would sooner or later. Human errors are the cause of most errors...

Back