What keeps you going to Intel?

I honestly wasn't trying to flame before, and I'm not now either but here are some reiterations of things that people are overlooking.

1) PCI-e remains unnecessary except for those who want and use SLI/X-Fire. When NF4 came out for 939, people were saying (truthfully) that it is basically the same as NF3, but using PCI-e instead of AGP. The AGP bus allows the same bandwidth (forgetting about encoding/watching realtime HD) as PCI-e 8x. That's what all but the latest SLI boards "limit" cards to when running in SLI anyway. If you want to convince me that AGP was dead 2 years ago, show me a graphics card that is limited by the lack of bandwidth. I never said that PCI-e wasn't better, I just said that all of a sudden PCI-e forced (or encouraged) motherboard upgrades for no real reason.

*On a side note: I'm open to the fact that I'm wrong on this, but I bet that the 2x16 boards don't perform any better than the 2x8 boards in SLI because the interface is not the bottleneck. Anybody seen any benches that make me eat crow?

2) BTX- A better spec? I'm not sure. As some have noted, it is a lot like AT. So, either AT/BTX is better or ATX is. No matter which way you go, it proves my point that sometimes Intel will try to pull "innovations" just to encourage more new hardware purchases. Is it good business? Very much so. It sells chips/boards/cases, etc. Moving to whether or not it benefits consumers is something else entirely.

3) Summarizing my stance on the innovations is basically like this: If the latest video cards were still available for AGP, there's no reason that an ATX, pci (no e), socket 939 DDR1 system would be outperformed by a brand-new top of the line system with the exception of SLI. The system in question would be nearly two years old and would still stack up just fine if the graphics cards were still made for AGP.

4) DDR2 is only faster if the architecture in question needs more bandwidth. Which is precisely why Intel implemented it. Don't forget that the latencies also double. Which memory type is faster is very dependent on CPU workings and saying one or the other is faster is inaccurate. Also, can you point me in the direction of a benchmark that demonstrates the benefit of running DDR2 instead of DDR1 on an otherwise identical system? I haven't seen one like that. ----DDR2 is obviously the future. It is cooler and hopefully someday being cheaper to produce is helpful for consumers rather than facilitating lining the pockets of the manufacuturers.

Simply put: Most of these innovations were valuable and will continue to mature into strong, mainstay-type materials. The timing is the part that I find questionable, as most were released just when Intel realized there was a valid threat from competition, and even years later the new technologies have yet to be fully embraced (AGP cards still outsell PCI-e). I think it's fair to judge innovation by the rate and scale in which it is adopted. If new technology is wanted and needed people will snatch it up immediately. If it is merely incremental change or if there are other factors which make it less necessary and more obligatory, the new technology is adopted at a much slower rate-which is what is happenning to all the technologies being addressed.

Intel is going to demo the quad core processor soon. It'll happen before AMD releases their own Opteron quad core on socket F.

empoy said:
Intel is going to demo the quad core processor soon. It'll happen before AMD releases their own Opteron quad core on socket F.
Exactly. :) And then you'll be glad to have stratospheric RAM speeds, 'cause those suckers are gonna need all the bandwidth they can get! :eek:

yea, my pentium m came today to replace my celeron m and boy is there a diff!!!! GO intel :D

1c3d0g said:
Exactly. :) And then you'll be glad to have stratospheric RAM speeds, 'cause those suckers are gonna need all the bandwidth they can get! :eek:

Don't bet on it! The new platforms is a whole different ball of wires. Like AMD, there are barrowed links from Alpha LOL! Also IBM type NUMA but we'll see.

Donnie27

I know well of AMDs performance supremacy but I'll still hold out and buy an Intel system when Conroe comes out and I have the money. To be honest I can't really tell you why I choose to buy Intel - I think it's just the name really. When I first went to get a new computer a few years back it was an Intel, OEM, liquidated, and the price was right. I didn't really complain because it was a shiny new HT 478 Prescott - and I just wanted to play with it... Just a little? :rolleyes:

Now I buy Intel just... It's hard to place a reason. I guess you could say it's trust for the name - the company - but that wouldn't be quite right. Performance in a system is an important thing for me but look at how it was when AMD was the underdog - and now it seems like their roles have switched, despite Intel marketshare. If people didn't keep buying AMD even though it was seen as just an alternative, where would it be today? I guess I do it to support Intel - they don't really need it, but it's more or less a name I've trusted. They let me down with Prescott and the latter days of NetBurst - but I feel like the company's going in a good direction this time. I hope.

Intel's had better days - and it is an industry innovator, in that there can be no doubt. It's just that something about the presentation of the Intel brand comes out and grabs me. They presented themselves as the originators of power almost - even in the Prescott days. AMD has had the performance crown since AMD64 but it just hasn't presented itself in a very powerful way to a lot of people, me included. They seem more like a cautious company to me - maybe it's because Intel's production capacity and brand is so large - Intel acts like the Superman of the industry, pushing technologies, chipsets, etc. Aggressive marketing I guess just seems persuasive to me - as if the company has confidence in itself. When I see an AMD processor box it seems so... It's presented blandly - which is just personal preference really. AMD > Intel, but personally for me it's a number of factors combined that make Intel a very tempting brand.

HyperTension said:
Not that I wish for people to think that I am a flamer/!!!!!! with this, but It really irritates me when people use the excuse "Intels platform is more stable" or "Amd has too many bugs for my taste" Granted, everything has issues (Gee thanks Microsoft), and obviously, more can evolve with time. However, It would be nice for people to look at both sides of the fence,and go from there. Hence, here is a link regarding the latest issues with Intels line up. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=420

For me, I prefer Nvidia over Ati. Why.. I have no idea, I just do. Processor wise, I could care less, as long as it works. (Research it, and get the best bang at the time that I can afford it). Personal bias influences us all from time to time. Overt biasism shows a level of silliness.

Man just google "NFORCE 4 problems". I have one ASUS Nforce 4 AMD64 system in my house. The other 4 systems are using Intel motherboards with Intel CPU's...845, 865, 875 and one 915. My AMD system has more problems than all of them. The mobo with the 875 chipset is my server....and its been running Windows 2003 since the week it came out....it has NEVER gone down once. It goes down when a patch requires a re-boot......when I get time to run windows update...once every 6 months. The whole family beats the crap out of that server and its solid. The other Intel boxes never crash they just get pumeled by 5 year old twins.....XP can only handle so much before a reboot rebuild is required.

AMD makes great CPU's.....but for the love of GOD the SH!T sets that support them suck hard. I have had so many freakin problems with NVIDIA chipset drivers it kills me. Dont even use their IDE drivers...or RAID drivers...or their stupid firewall. If you go NFORCE...use as many Microsoft drivers as you can.

Why I like Intel better again for me its very easy. My first build was a 2.4c and it was a wonderful Cpu . I than moved to 3.2c and both my wife and daughter have these . In fact I am on wife's now . For the age of this system it is still very fast at 3.2ghz. both use Corsair matched Bh5 memory . So latincies are right their with AMD.62ns
When O/C its very fast PC my wifes machine with X800xtpe with IC7 MAX board score's
6600+ in 3dMark @ 3.4 ghz. Which is very fast as we all know.

My daughters machine with Asus P4P800_e_deluxe scores 6200 at stock again very fast.

Until early this fall I built AMD only for my customers as Intel just wasn't cutting it.

But 1 guy insisted on intel this fall I fought hard for him to go to AMD but he insisted on Intel.

I knew the heat issue wasn't a problem as I sell water only machines but i was concerned about performance.
So I bought him a 650 intel and O/C to 4.0+ ghz Well I was really surprized these things are really fast. Using Corsair 5400Ul memory.
Since I have built 17 Intel gamers and I am really pleased with these.
Since I like the bells and whistle's you get with intel chipsets I am again very pleased with Intel CPU's. I won't even go into the 65n cpu's as they are simple wonderful and Give you the $BangforThe$

Conroe to me is a huge huge deal . As I will no longer have to use AMD or NV products .

It will be Intel only (personel reasons) ATI only since I tell my customers that I do give a very high performance machine but thats not my primary concern . I offer the best quality no short cuts on any hardware none. Since I do enough PC'S and look at a lot of screens ATI'S IQ is superior thats all there is to it(Best Quality)

superkdogg said:
I honestly wasn't trying to flame before, and I'm not now either but here are some reiterations of things that people are overlooking.

1) PCI-e remains unnecessary except for those who want and use SLI/X-Fire. When NF4 came out for 939, people were saying (truthfully) that it is basically the same as NF3, but using PCI-e instead of AGP. The AGP bus allows the same bandwidth (forgetting about encoding/watching realtime HD) as PCI-e 8x. That's what all but the latest SLI boards "limit" cards to when running in SLI anyway. If you want to convince me that AGP was dead 2 years ago, show me a graphics card that is limited by the lack of bandwidth. I never said that PCI-e wasn't better, I just said that all of a sudden PCI-e forced (or encouraged) motherboard upgrades for no real reason.

*On a side note: I'm open to the fact that I'm wrong on this, but I bet that the 2x16 boards don't perform any better than the 2x8 boards in SLI because the interface is not the bottleneck. Anybody seen any benches that make me eat crow?

2) BTX- A better spec? I'm not sure. As some have noted, it is a lot like AT. So, either AT/BTX is better or ATX is. No matter which way you go, it proves my point that sometimes Intel will try to pull "innovations" just to encourage more new hardware purchases. Is it good business? Very much so. It sells chips/boards/cases, etc. Moving to whether or not it benefits consumers is something else entirely.

3) Summarizing my stance on the innovations is basically like this: If the latest video cards were still available for AGP, there's no reason that an ATX, pci (no e), socket 939 DDR1 system would be outperformed by a brand-new top of the line system with the exception of SLI. The system in question would be nearly two years old and would still stack up just fine if the graphics cards were still made for AGP.

4) DDR2 is only faster if the architecture in question needs more bandwidth. Which is precisely why Intel implemented it. Don't forget that the latencies also double. Which memory type is faster is very dependent on CPU workings and saying one or the other is faster is inaccurate. Also, can you point me in the direction of a benchmark that demonstrates the benefit of running DDR2 instead of DDR1 on an otherwise identical system? I haven't seen one like that. ----DDR2 is obviously the future. It is cooler and hopefully someday being cheaper to produce is helpful for consumers rather than facilitating lining the pockets of the manufacuturers.

Simply put: Most of these innovations were valuable and will continue to mature into strong, mainstay-type materials. The timing is the part that I find questionable, as most were released just when Intel realized there was a valid threat from competition, and even years later the new technologies have yet to be fully embraced (AGP cards still outsell PCI-e). I think it's fair to judge innovation by the rate and scale in which it is adopted. If new technology is wanted and needed people will snatch it up immediately. If it is merely incremental change or if there are other factors which make it less necessary and more obligatory, the new technology is adopted at a much slower rate-which is what is happenning to all the technologies being addressed.

In your first statement above about AGP verse's PCI-E I agree in single card use its doesn't seem to matter. But there is 1 thing that bothers me about PCI-E that I won't know the ans. to till R580 is released and that is PCI-E 2x8 . As we all know 2 ATI 1600 work in Xfire without master card . Now I am thinking maybe with R580 chipset 2x16 maybe X1900's will work without master cards . 2 weeks we should know

Based on what I've read with 7800 GTX's in 2x8 and 2x16 configurations, the interface is still not bottlenecking those cards, so I am also curious to see if the same holds true with the 1900's.

The downstream bandwidth is really the only current advantage of the PCI-e spec, and a relatively small percentage of users benefit from that.

There's an advantage to the spec, of that there is no doubt. The problem is that the spec is over two years old and still the current hardware is not able to tap into the theoretical advantage.

Another thing to mention is that early benchmarks of the AM2 (from Tom's so take with a grain of salt) are not showing a benefit of AMD moving to DDR2. This would be more confirmation of my point that DDR2 helps Netburst chips that need massive amounts of bandwidth, but may not be beneficial to other architectures. Anybody seen early benches of upcoming Intel chips on DDR2, especially with asynch ram? I'm curious if DDR2 helps Conroe or if it would be fine on DDR1.

Also to the point that DDR2 is the future, but that only Netburst chips really benefit from it-The fastest current Intel CPU's for gaming and some other applications are not running DDR2. They are still the overclocked Dothans on DDR1 using socket adaptors and the antiquated 875 and 865pe chipsets.

BTW, I'm not really an AMD !!!!!!. My wife's rig is a Mobile P4 overclocked to be basically a 2.4c without HT running 12x200. It runs great and I like that machine for a basic, mostly office machine. So please don't take my comments as a blind flamer, rather as honestly questioning the issues at hand.

few reasons for myself...

ive built probably 300-500 pc systems in the last 4 or 5 years, roughtly 50/50 amd/intel
================
i have had 0 dead intel cpus
ive had 2 durons, 3 tbirds and a couple of a64s..not alot but still more than intel
================
ive seen countless intel and amd systems with clogged cpu fans or non functioning cpus fans.. intel never had a problem with that.. amd did... althought there not supposed to any more
================
amd systems are no longer cheaper than intel
================
feel fast performance is always nicer on intels..amd beats then in benchmarks.. i dont loop benchmarks on my desktop all day.. i use it
================
intel chipset, intel mobo... stable system
amd cpu... amd, via, nforce... so many chipsets.. some are ok some suck... the intel/intel combo has always been stable and reliable for me
================
I dont beleive AMD cpus to be the problem with system stability anymore, i beleive its the chipsets and flaky drivers.... again the intel/intel combo is nice
================
I use nothing but Dell Intel based systems at work both Centino notebooks and precisions workstaions with p4's of all varieties... ive got 100-120 pcs on my network, 40-50 laptops in the field and they all just work plain and simple

Personally ive owned the following cpus, in order

486 intel
p133 intel
p166mmx intel
amd k6-2 350 - problems galore
amd k6-2 400 - replacement for above... more problems
PII 400
Celeron 366 @ 618 mhz
tbird 750 - problems problems problems...first AMD DDR chipset.. junk
p3 933
tbird 1400 - over heat, crashes...
p3 1000
athlon xp 1800 wasnt bad for once, the one day no post (dead cpu)
p4 1.8 NW over clockecked with volt mod
athlon XP 2500 ran like crap, replaced the motherboard worked ok, the odd random reboot
p4 2.4
a64 on the first asus sli board... windows wouldnt load, replaced the board, BSOD's
p4 3.0 @ 3.4
and now

P4 840 3.2 EE on an Intel 955x Asus board i just loaded last night without issue... stable for 24 hours lol

Cant say i havent given AMD a chance...even in some cases went back to a slower intel cpu knowing the thing would just work

486 intel p133 intel
p166mmx intel
amd k6-2 350 - problems galore
amd k6-2 400 - replacement for above... more problems
PII 400
Celeron 366 @ 618 mhz
tbird 750 - problems problems problems...first AMD DDR chipset.. junk
p3 933
tbird 1400 - over heat, crashes...
p3 1000
athlon xp 1800 wasnt bad for once, the one day no post (dead cpu)
p4 1.8 NW over clockecked with volt mod
athlon XP 2500 ran like crap, replaced the motherboard worked ok, the odd random reboot
p4 2.4
a64 on the first asus sli board... windows wouldnt load, replaced the board, BSOD's
p4 3.0 @ 3.4
and now

P4 840 3.2 EE on an Intel 955x Asus board i just loaded last night without issue... stable for 24 hours lol

Cant say i havent given AMD a chance...even in some cases went back to a slower intel cpu knowing the thing would just work

Many folks here will just scoft that off as user error.

pArTy said:
You do know that a lot of AMDs CPUs also have HT now? Like since the Althon +3200 64bit
and i hope you know youre wrong :p

AMD CPU's with SSE3 have the HT flag enabled so that the dual core chips based off it cane take advantage of HT-optimized software. that doesnt mean it actually supports HT.

Donnie27 said:

so let them.. the post titles is what keeps you going intel.. those are my reasons :)

however user errors on amd only systems seem like a coincidence but what ever floats their boat.. all the power to them.. shouldnt need excuses to defend your purchase

and if "user" error causes problems on amd based system but they dont encounter the same errors on an intel based system... what does that tell you.. sure it might not matter to you or I, but for the other 99% of the people with a PC who barly know how to turn it on... they just see an error or problems no matter how minor

Donnie27 said:

So true. Once in a while, they'll try to be helpful, though.

My first system was a 386sx 16mhz which was mostly assembled when I bought it for college. But the panasonic dot-matrix printer I got for it sucked so bad I ended up using the Macs in school. Never bothered with AMD until recently except for a 550 K6-3 or athlon. Whatever, I friggin forget. Junk! Hiccups all the time, so I gave it to my next brother and he loved it just because it was his own. And it died shortly thereafter through no fault of his.
I Stayed away from AMD when some of my friends cpus fried, literally. Didn't believe that was possible the first time around until I came over and smelled it. HAHA!

Now, I am not sure why this box I'm typing on randomly reboots. Most probably motherboard-related. It's an asrock dual-sata2 board - supposed to be stable with the ULI chipset. Anyway, I had a spare opty144 when I chipped the SouthBridge on my Asus Prescott board. So 40 bucks for a refurb was ok. Everything else, RAM, Video, and Hard Drive ran perfectly fine on my prescott. My sister has the same problem on a NEO4-F.

I also have an opty 148 running on a NEO4-Platinum. Stable as a rock - maybe I got lucky. 1 out of 3 is ok, I guess.

and if "user" error causes problems on amd based system but they dont encounter the same eroors on an intel based system... what does that tell you

They'll likely say, you're incompetent. But, I'll tell you that is a quality difference between two platforms.

CanadaOwnsJoo said:
so let them.. the post titles is what keeps you going intel.. those are my reasons :)

however user errors on amd only systems seem like a coincidence but what ever floats their boat.. all the power to them.. shouldnt need excuses to defend your purchase

and if "user" error causes problems on amd based system but they dont encounter the same errors on an intel based system... what does that tell you.. sure it might not matter to you or I, but for the other 99% of the people with a PC who barly know how to turn it on... they just see an error or problems no matter how minor

Oh, I'm sure he knows I was agreeing with him. I tried to list some of the things that keeps me going Intel. Bugs, Glitches and Wanker Hardware is just one of a few reasons I stick with Intel. I still think Intel has the best Platforms and saying their processors suck is off base. I'd take a slightly slower system over a faster buggy one any day.

Bao01 said:
So true. Once in a while, they'll try to be helpful, though.

My first system was a 386sx 16mhz which was mostly assembled when I bought it for college. But the panasonic dot-matrix printer I got for it sucked so bad I ended up using the Macs in school. Never bothered with AMD until recently except for a 550 K6-3 or athlon. Whatever, I friggin forget. Junk! Hiccups all the time, so I gave it to my next brother and he loved it just because it was his own. And it died shortly thereafter through no fault of his.
I Stayed away from AMD when some of my friends cpus fried, literally. Didn't believe that was possible the first time around until I came over and smelled it. HAHA!

Now, I am not sure why this box I'm typing on randomly reboots. Most probably motherboard-related. It's an asrock dual-sata2 board - supposed to be stable with the ULI chipset. Anyway, I had a spare opty144 when I chipped the SouthBridge on my Asus Prescott board. So 40 bucks for a refurb was ok. Everything else, RAM, Video, and Hard Drive ran perfectly fine on my prescott. My sister has the same problem on a NEO4-F.

I also have an opty 148 running on a NEO4-Platinum. Stable as a rock - maybe I got lucky. 1 out of 3 is ok, I guess.

and if "user" error causes problems on amd based system but they dont encounter the same eroors on an intel based system... what does that tell you

They'll likely say, you're incompetent. But, I'll tell you that is a quality difference between two platforms.

You got it! Thanks for getting what I was saying. I have that burnt Tbird 1333 and threw away the Asus A7M-266 it died on (it took out two other processors).

My 3500+ and Asus A8N-SLI is pretty stable. Problems? Yes PQI-4000 RAM that ran 250 FSB 1:1 CAS3 3-3-6 1T on my ABit or AOpen i875 doesn't like anything near those setting on my nForce 4. I loose my connection too much through nForce NIC during online Gaming. So folks talking overclocking have to factor in Expensive DDR. They say, "X2 costs more but have cheaper mobos". Many skip the part about expensive RAM that's needed if you plan on overclocking. I can't get mine to 1T even at stock speed and stay stable.

Setup was a nightmare, BIOS matching was a joke, nVidia should pull all of their drivers and stop lying about features they have if those features don't work.

Now with that said, does all of the course changes different chipsets Intel shipped sucks?Hell yes. But at least those boards didn't lock up during BIOS flashes that was needed for Venice support like several folks I know did. I saw one do this.

Donnie27 said:
I still think Intel has the best Platforms and saying their processors suck is off base. I'd take a slightly slower system over a faster buggy one any day.

I agree 100%.

Intel is all American, Amd is german (Most likely, to lazy to look it up again.)

It may not be the best reason, but it's not a bad reason to support your own countries products. ;)

AMD is based out of sunnyvale, CA. always has been. they have a plant in Dresden.

intel has plants in other countries too.

I can understand why people with a history of not having problems with Intel would stick with Intel. Is this group the majority of Intel users nowadays? I can understand rock solid stability over speed, but for the record, my two AMD systems have been smooth and stable. From experience, I find that keeping a system's OS fit and virus free is what causes the stability/performance issues.

My sister had a 2.0 P4 which under her care turned into a slug. I reinstalled windows fresh one time and used it for a 3 week break and the system flew. Most, if not all of the performance difference (smooth, not benchmark) people see are IMHO placebo effects which come from an overall good view of their chip company.

serbiaNem said:
From experience, I find that keeping a system's OS fit and virus free is what causes the stability/performance issues.

My sister had a 2.0 P4 which under her care turned into a slug. I reinstalled windows fresh one time and used it for a 3 week break and the system flew. Most, if not all of the performance difference (smooth, not benchmark) people see are IMHO placebo effects which come from an overall good view of their chip company.

I think that is very true. And I think that's one of the reasons I don't have those kind of issues. I run Gnetoo Linux, and don't have to deal with viruses, spyware, addware, worms, or the general slowness of a few month old windows install. My current install was done 2 years ago, and it's a good as the first day.

I used to have many friends who wanted to upgrade their CPU because they had an old and slow windows install. They just didn't get the fact that they needed a reinstall (or switch to linux), and that a new CPU wasn't going to fix their problem.

I have an AMD socket A system and an Intel system running the original Williamette P4. The AMD is pretty un-reliable, while the P4 has been rock solid (knock on wood). I leave it on constantly and sometimes go days or even a week without a restart, I would not even consider doing that with the AMD. Granted AMD has come a long way since socket A, however it still doesn't change the fact that the Intel/Intel match is great. I'm sticking with Intel for my mATX, but I would consider an Athlon X2 4400 and an Asus A8n SLI for a fullsize desktop.

Yanks2435 said:
I have an AMD socket A system and an Intel system running the original Williamette P4. The AMD is pretty un-reliable, while the P4 has been rock solid (knock on wood). I leave it on constantly and sometimes go days or even a week without a restart, I would not even consider doing that with the AMD. Granted AMD has come a long way since socket A, however it still doesn't change the fact that the Intel/Intel match is great. I'm sticking with Intel for my mATX, but I would consider an Athlon X2 4400 and an Asus A8n SLI for a fullsize desktop.

Yup. I have an Asus A8N SLI i went through;
4 BIOS flashes, 3 WinXP Home installs, read through 100's of Config FAQ's, two weeks of just plain trial and error to my system stable. This includes nVidia's sucky NIC plus running my RAM at 2T. My USB problems seemed solved. I'm using a new Microsoft KB 4000
and
Mouse

I was having problems with the Mouse once those stopped I added the KB. Both run great now. I'd go with Intel just to keep from having to tweak for weeks. One of my other buds thought I had gotten a new motherboard compared to how unstable it was for the first 3 weeks. He said, "But the AMD guys at [H] said the Asus board sucks?".

Firebat said:
Intel is all American, Amd is german (Most likely, to lazy to look it up again.)

It may not be the best reason, but it's not a bad reason to support your own countries products. ;)

One of AMD's first FAB was in Texas, FYI.

serbiaNem said:
When I had the Asus board, I had to run it at 2T too...

Yes and if I limit the board to one of the 512MB sticks, it will Run at the faster timings and 1T. If I Run my old Kingston PC-3500, I can get these two 256MB sticks at 1T and they ran like a champ. 512MB chokes too fast with WinXP.

I'm looking at getting an Intel GbE NIC.

Back